hawaiian traditional music

marclin723

Reaction score
Hi all UU ukers :)

I would like to learn some hawaiian traditional songs. Do you have any recommend songbook? Because I have totally no idea in speaking hawaiian, I would prefer to have the songbook with a sample CD.

Thanks for any response :)

He Mele Aloha. In my experience, it is hands down the most accurate on language and chords. The writers really know what they are talking about. All the standards are in it. Look the tunes up on Youtube or buy some of the standard Hawaiian albums (you should have them regardless! :)) - stuff by Keali'i Reichel, Hapa, Sunday Manoa, etc...

He Mele Aloha. In my experience, it is hands down the most accurate on language and chords. The writers really know what they are talking about. All the standards are in it. Look the tunes up on Youtube or buy some of the standard Hawaiian albums (you should have them regardless! :)) - stuff by Keali'i Reichel, Hapa, Sunday Manoa, etc...

:agree: He Mele Aloha at top of list! :shaka:

Also watch You tube videos for the correct pronounciation ....if you know how to use the way back machine, you can get the tropical storm...
also Hawaiian style ukulele volume 1, 2, 3 is good happy strummngs

I have a few songs in pdf and MP3 at ( ukulelebootcamp.weebly.com ) :)

keep uke'in',

I agree "He Mele Aloha" is a must have, and right after it I really like the "Hawaiian Style Ukulele" three book series from Uketree Records. The first book starts out with simple 2 and 3 chord songs and then they progress through more complicated mele. The CD's that come with them are very good and I listen to them all the time.

I agree "He Mele Aloha" is a must have, and right after it I really like the "Hawaiian Style Ukulele" three book series from Uketree Records. The first book starts out with simple 2 and 3 chord songs and then they progress through more complicated mele. The CD's that come with them are very good and I listen to them all the time.

I agree, that's a good series. IMO it's much better than the He Mele Aloha book where you're pretty much stuck if you don't know how the melody line goes.

Thanks for information on this timely subject for me. While in Oahu this summer, I participated in my first jam where everyone else played Hawaiian songs. I don't know any Hawaiian songs, so on my next stop at Costco, I pickup up He Mele Aloha.

I am a bit lost for 2 reasons. The first is that I don't know any of the songs, but I figure YouTube will help out with that. But my other issue is that I have no way of knowing which of the many songs in the book are 'popular', or well known.

Could anyone comment on a top 10 Hawaiian songs to direct my study? Thanks in advance.

Thanks for information on this timely subject for me. While in Oahu this summer, I participated in my first jam where everyone else played Hawaiian songs. I don't know any Hawaiian songs, so on my next stop at Costco, I pickup up He Mele Aloha.

I am a bit lost for 2 reasons. The first is that I don't know any of the songs, but I figure YouTube will help out with that. But my other issue is that I have no way of knowing which of the many songs in the book are 'popular', or well known.

Could anyone comment on a top 10 Hawaiian songs to direct my study? Thanks in advance.

Yeah I live in Hawaii and I have the He Mele song book...unless you already know the song it is hard to play any of them...like Chuck says if you don't know the melody hard to figure out....

if you are using it for a Kanikapili and the whole group uses the book then it is great...but if you are on your own very difficult...

but good luck and keep on strumming..

It depends on your preference and if you like traditional or not...that is a very general question..look for the song on You tube and follow along with various artists which differ in
style and technique....

Aunite Wanda posted a listing of videos specifically for the mele listed in the book and it can be found here . . . The mele or songs were picked because of their popularity and most played when locals kanikapila (jam session taking place at parties or family gatherings). I'll defer listing a top 10 and will prefer to let others do so. My advice would be to listen to a few of the songs and play the ones you're comfortable playing.

I forgot to mention, the videos may not necessarily be in the same key as those printed in the book and are to be used as a reference for the melody.

Last edited:
I would say that if you are looking for some songs that most Hawaiians (who are into traditional Hawaiian music) would recognize I would start with:

Noho Paipai
Papalina Lahilahi
He U`i
Ulupalakua
Wahine Ilikea
I Kona
Hi`ilawe
Ahulili
Henehene Kou `Aka
Ka Uluwehi O Ke Kai

Those are just off the top of my head. But most of those songs will come up at a Kanikapila and those are all in heavy rotation on Hawaiian music radio stations here.
Some of my favorites to play

Kimo Henderson Hula
Makee Ailana
Latitu
Ipo Lei Momi
Ka Pua U`i
Hanohano Ka Lei Pikake
Mahina O Hoku

I can go on and on...

I also agree about the Hawaiian Style Ukulele books with the CDs, I did buy the first one, they give you an attainable target to go for if you do not have familiarity with the songs.

He Mele Aloha is a must have if you wish to pursue Hawaiian music. Sometimes you may need to change the key to suit your voice, and remember that He Mele Aloha is designed to give you the basic framework of the song. When you hear Hawaiian groups play those same songs on the radio they may be much more complex, with key changes, extra chords, different arrangements, etc.

I am working on falsetto singing. I have a long way to go, but I really enjoy this music!

I would say that if you are looking for some songs that most Hawaiians (who are into traditional Hawaiian music) would recognize I would start with:

Noho Paipai
Papalina Lahilahi
He U`i
Ulupalakua
Wahine Ilikea
I Kona
Hi`ilawe
Ahulili
Henehene Kou `Aka
Ka Uluwehi O Ke Kai

Those are just off the top of my head. But most of those songs will come up at a Kanikapila and those are all in heavy rotation on Hawaiian music radio stations here.
Some of my favorites to play

Kimo Henderson Hula
Makee Ailana
Latitu
Ipo Lei Momi
Ka Pua U`i
Hanohano Ka Lei Pikake
Mahina O Hoku

I can go on and on...

I also agree about the Hawaiian Style Ukulele books with the CDs, I did buy the first one, they give you an attainable target to go for if you do not have familiarity with the songs.

He Mele Aloha is a must have if you wish to pursue Hawaiian music. Sometimes you may need to change the key to suit your voice, and remember that He Mele Aloha is designed to give you the basic framework of the song. When you hear Hawaiian groups play those same songs on the radio they may be much more complex, with key changes, extra chords, different arrangements, etc.

I am working on falsetto singing. I have a long way to go, but I really enjoy this music!

I have seen Damon play and sing...wow he is good

so what ever he says above is good advice...as he grew up in SoCal but plays and sounds like a local...

Aunite Wanda posted a listing of videos specifically for the mele listed in the book and it can be found here . . . The mele or songs were picked because of their popularity and most played when locals kanikapila (jam session taking place at parties or family gatherings). I'll defer listing a top 10 and will prefer to let others do so. My advice would be to listen to a few of the songs and play the ones you're comfortable playing.

I forgot to mention, the videos may not necessarily be in the same key as those printed in the book and are to be used as a reference for the melody.

I second Kanaka916's recommendation of the He Mele Aloha book. It was a huge research project that involved getting legal permissions by Uncle Kimo Hussey and others. I own two copies. One Stays in the car for impromptu kanikapila.

I also second Kanaka916's recommendation of Auntie Wanda's extensive YouTube research and compilation of links to the He Mele Aloha songs http://www.taropatch.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9603

Excellent choices...and the Hawaiian Style Ukulele is a fantastic series that you can play along with. I have all three volumes and each is more diffacult then the other so you should not get bored.

Top Bottom