Song Help Request Ekolu's Honestly

experimentjon

Reaction score
I wanted to learn Ekolu's Honestly (the new version on the radio now is very awesome.) And was wondering if anyone had chords to it. I found these on Tropical Storm Hawaii:

Code:
INTRO: D,Bm7,G,Asus,A7,D (2x)            

VERSE 1
D             Bm7
I Love You, I Need You
    G        A7     D
To hold me everynight
D                         Bm7
And when you're, feeling lonely
      G      A7      D
Girl I'll be by your side

CHORUS1
              G    A7       D
To tell you that I love you so
                   G     A7      D 
I'll hold you and never let you go
                  G      A7       D
Girl tell me your love belongs to me
         G         Asus,A7 D     Bm7,G,Asus,A7,D
And I'll love you, Honestly

VERSE 2
D             Bm7
I want you, To know that
    G       A7      D
I'm always here for you
                              Bm7
Through your bad times, your saddest times
      G       A7      D
I'll help you see it through

CHORUS 2
              G       A7      D 
I'll comfort you when you're alone
               G               A7    D
I'll give you love like you'll never know
                  G       A7      D
Girl tell me your love belongs to me
         G         Asus,A7 D

BRIDGE
F#7                     G
There will times, when life will seem unfair
F#7                           G                      A7
But you can run to me cuz you know, girl, I will be there

BACK TO SECOND CHORUS  Bm7

G         Asus,A7 D  Bm7
         G         Asus,A7 D  Bm7
         G         Asus,A7 D

But I was wondering how you play Asus. This arrangement sounds pretty good, but I was wondering if anyone had other alternate chords or a different special way of playing this song. In fact, if you have a sweet-sounding way to play any of Ekolu's songs, could you share them? Thanks.

Nothing to add on how to play it, but I heard that song (a few times :rolleyes:) at work today. The bass line sounds a lot like UB40's "kingston town" for the verses.

Ooh thanks for posting this. I love this song!

Asus means A suspended.

wikipedia: A suspended chord is a chord in which the third is replaced or accompanied by either a Perfect fourth or a major second, although the fourth is far more common.

Please, someone say something if this is wrong. :) So the notes in an A chord are A C# and E which is the 1st, 3rd, and 5th. If we added a 4th then it would be a D note. okay so using this information:

(this is the order of the strings: AECG)
Asus4
0022, 4022,
Asus2

I like playing it with 0022.

Last edited:
I make it easier by not playing fancy notes. Truthfully I didnt learn them all. I forgot what I think all I use to end the chorus was...
Oh man I dont remember.

Ooh thanks for posting this. I love this song!

Asus means A suspended.

wikipedia: A suspended chord is a chord in which the third is replaced or accompanied by either a Perfect fourth or a major second, although the fourth is far more common.

Please, someone say something if this is wrong. :) So the notes in an A chord are A C# and E which is the 1st, 3rd, and 5th. If we added a 4th then it would be a D note. okay so using this information:

(this is the order of the strings: AECG)
Asus4
0022, 4022,
Asus2

I like playing it with 0022.

for a sus4 you replace the third (C# in this case) with the fourth (D natural). The simplified classical theory behind this is that the fourth (D) resolves to the third (C#) for a tension/release.

so technically speaking, in GCEA order 2200 is right and 2204 (0022 and 4022 in Davoo's order respectively) is not as typical to be called a Asus4 chord, but a nice chord too. I think it would be more likely to be labeled a AMaj11 (omitting the 7th and 9th).

2200 is the most common one in chord books. 2455 also works pretty good.

so technically speaking, in GCEA order 2200 is right and 2204 (0022 and 4022 in Davoo's order respectively)

2200 is the most common one in chord books. 2455 also works pretty good.

So how are the chords notated? I thought I saw them in order from A to G string since A is the 1st string?

So how are the chords notated? I thought I saw them in order from A to G string since A is the 1st string?

I'm not sure there is a standard. I think I have seen lowest to highest strings from left to right more frequently. Maybe a mod can help out on this one?

Top Bottom