Olivewood

dmecha1012

Reaction score
I just came across a ridiculously large amount of olivewood.
Would this be good tone wood?
(for ukes............not for flutes!)
Would it work for soundboard tops?...........for sides and backs?
Or should I rather enter a massive jewelery box or kazoo making hobby?:)

I/d try one set for Ban sides and see if you like the sound .OLivewood has a nice figure.Especially if you can pop the grain

Its the PITS!! yuk yuk yuk

I've seen it used as guitar wood but not for a top. I think it would do OK for a top too. Just try to resist dropping your uke into a martini

So what's the story? Nobody want's to seriously address this question? Does anyone on this forum have any kind of experiance musically with this wood? (Even anecdotally?)

Olive wood is not known for stability as one of it's main qualities. It will move more than other woods with atmospheric moisture change. It is really pretty. Personally, I do not work with it because it moves too much for what I do. It can be really pretty.

I have seen guitars made of Olive that looked beautiful. If you would like to trade a few sets of quartered olive for black acacia let me know. I would not hesitate to build ukuleles from olive. I would use a softwood top. As Chris said not the most stable wood so you should stay away from crotch wood and use quartersawn wood only.

Last edited:
Top Bottom