Just got a Vintage Martin T1 Tenor - looking for string suggestions

Ukejungle

Reaction score
No Strings were on it. Have to get bridge pins too.

Suggestions for strings from other Martin Tenor Owners would be greatly appreciated here.

Thanks,

Trey

Martin M600's...

I use Aquila concert sets on both of mine.

I tried a set of Martin 620s since I had a set on my soprano but didn't like them at all although I didn't give it much time. I then put a set of Worth Brown (BT) Strings and have been very happy them. I also have a set of Fremont Black Strings in waiting since they were suggested as well.
How about a pic of the Tenor?

Tried my first vintage Martin tenor today at Dusty Strings in Seattle and it sounded and felt dang sweet. It took a lot for me to fight the UAS urges to buy it on the spot, but I'm still curious! I have a few questions for those who might be more in the know...

How can one confirm its year? It's listed as 1929, but there's no serial number. There's a stamp on the inside and on the back of the headstock. No logo on the front of headstock. I imagine these are indicators.

Is $1175 a good price? I couldn't find many equivalent listings.

Are these rare? Hard to come across? It's the first I've had the chance to play, but are there lots out there for the finding?

Didn't see it on the web site. If it is a 1929 T-1 225 were made so that price is a real deal, even if it has fixable issues. As it is no longer listed, it could be sold to some lucky player.

Didn't see it on the web site. If it is a 1929 T-1 225 were made so that price is a real deal, even if it has fixable issues. As it is no longer listed, it could be sold to some lucky player.
Good for the wallet and UAS tolerance build-up... unfortunate for my soul. I ran it by Tyler at the Ukulele Store and he was iffy on it actually being a '29. He said it looked like the tuners were from the 50s and a '29 should have a decal on the headstock. I didn't save the pics, but it'll have to be a fond memory.

It did sound and play sweet, but I came home and played my ukes and made me nearly forget about the Martin.

Someone for sure got a nice vintage... hopefully they know enough about them to feel confident in their purchase. I definitely didn't at the time, but can't wait to learn more!

Top Bottom