found a bunch of cherry wood in the garage

baycal92510

Reaction score
I was cleaning up out in the garage and I found about 100' of 3/4"x12" cherry planks. About 5 years ago my dad and I did a custom remodel on my folks house and this was left over. I was already seriously considering building an instrument and would like to know if this wood is something that could work. I know Martin made a special edition cherry soprano.

Some backround: I have never built an instrument. I have built just about everything else. Bridges, cell towers, custom log homes..And everything else in between. I have a fully stocked wood shop with planers, sanders. routers/ router table, and everthing needed to build cabinets...So I got the gear..I am pretty excited about this.

Any input about the wood, would be great. Anybody used cherry or know a little more about its tone or anything at all I would love some input..Thanks!!

Cherry is a wonderful tonewood. I generally pair it with a spruce top, but all cherry ukuleles also sound good. Try to find a board in your stash that is as quartersawn as possible.

Naw! Cherry is a load of rubbish ;)...get rid of it ....I'm sure some of the lad's on the Forum will take it off your hands and find a use for it :rolleyes:

Agree with Timbuck. Get rid of it while you've still got a life.
You try your hardest to make the world's best ukulele but you make mistakes. You have to try again. Then you're hooked. You read nothing but "How To Build Ukulele" books, you join forums full of other poor sad b*&^%^&s trying to make the perfect ukulele, your friends leave you, you forget to wash and change your clothes...
Give it away while there's still time.
I'll send you my address. :)
Miguel

find a piece that is Quartersawn and clear. You could have an almost infinitely big pile of wood, doesn't matter how big... you are looking for specific grain. Quartersawn is what you want.

I was cleaning up out in the garage and I found about 100' of 3/4"x12" cherry planks. About 5 years ago my dad and I did a custom remodel on my folks house and this was left over. I was already seriously considering building an instrument and would like to know if this wood is something that could work. I know Martin made a special edition cherry soprano.

Some backround: I have never built an instrument. I have built just about everything else. Bridges, cell towers, custom log homes..And everything else in between. I have a fully stocked wood shop with planers, sanders. routers/ router table, and everthing needed to build cabinets...So I got the gear..I am pretty excited about this.

Any input about the wood, would be great. Anybody used cherry or know a little more about its tone or anything at all I would love some input..Thanks!!

One of the loveliest native hardwoods. Orange/amber shellac brings it out nicely. Not the same as stain, which many regard rightly as sacrilege. Fresh cut cherry tends to be lacking in warmth until it's been exposed to a lengthy period of sunlight. Amber shellac shortens the period, and makes red cherry even redder without muddying it.

Get rid of it while you've still got a life.
You try your hardest to make the world's best ukulele but you make mistakes. You have to try again. Then you're hooked. You read nothing but "How To Build Ukulele" books, you join forums full of other poor sad b*&^%^&s trying to make the perfect ukulele, your friends leave you, you forget to wash and change your clothes...
Miguel

That just about sums it up Miguel.

I'm in deep.

Top Bottom