Worth Heavy/Strong vs. Fat Tension

Brad Bordessa

Reaction score
I've played CH Worths for a very long time, but I'm hoping to switch to Worth browns for a new (and bright) 'ukulele. I just swapped a CH set for a BS one. As far as I can tell the gauges are the same for the two (and the Worth site says the the BS set is "The same gauge to CH which the professional players love."). Of course, now I'm getting more fret buzz so I'm convinced that the BS strings have less tension. The specs for the BF set looks identical to the first two. Should I have hope that the fat strings will provide more tension and "oomph"? Can anybody shed some light before I take off this brand new set (for better or worse) to try the fats? Or is there a heavier brown set that I'm missing?

Sorry for another Worth string post, but I searched all the old threads I could find. It would be *stellar* if Worth could muster up a tension chart that actually showed string weight. I should ask...

Can't help you, but sorry for being the other Worth thread. I just ordered the CM's and saw on stringsbymail.com that they have a light set as well. Hoping the CM's are the magic bullet for me, as I love the Worths on my tenor.

I got some more information that might be useful to some.

The difference between the BS and BF sets is the A sting which is 0.0224" in the BS set and 0.0244" in the BF set. Disappointing, because it's the other strings that are buzzing on my 'ukulele.

I've played CH Worths for a very long time, but I'm hoping to switch to Worth browns for a new (and bright) 'ukulele. I just swapped a CH set for a BS one. As far as I can tell the gauges are the same for the two (and the Worth site says the the BS set is "The same gauge to CH which the professional players love."). Of course, now I'm getting more fret buzz so I'm convinced that the BS strings have less tension. The specs for the BF set looks identical to the first two. Should I have hope that the fat strings will provide more tension and "oomph"? Can anybody shed some light before I take off this brand new set (for better or worse) to try the fats? Or is there a heavier brown set that I'm missing?

Sorry for another Worth string post, but I searched all the old threads I could find. It would be *stellar* if Worth could muster up a tension chart that actually showed string weight. I should ask...

It could be less tension, it could be a softer material that the Browns are made of (which will affect playability), etc.. Lots more than just overall string weight. Either way, bummer about all the fret buzz and issues you're having.

Can't help you, but sorry for being the other Worth thread. I just ordered the CM's and saw on stringsbymail.com that they have a light set as well. Hoping the CM's are the magic bullet for me, as I love the Worths on my tenor.

I'm a big fan of the folks at Strings by Mail, having been able to take a tour of the facility and sit down with John and Ben for an hour last week. Very cool guys, all passionate about getting you the right string.

Top Bottom