PDA

View Full Version : I've had it with Snark!

Moxieuke
09-17-2013, 11:27 AM
The head keeps falling off the stem! This last one I've had for a total of two months before the head snapped off. And I can no longer return it to the store, and the company wants me to pay for postage and insurance to fix it, which just isn't worth it to me.

Can anyone recommend a GOOD tuner that will actually last?

Howie1947
09-17-2013, 11:29 AM
What are you using it for? A baseball?

river_driver
09-17-2013, 11:34 AM
I have an Intelli IMT-500, I've had it for years and it works great:
http://www.amazon.com/Intelli-IMT500-Chromatic-Digital-Strings/dp/B002Q0WSO8

mm stan
09-17-2013, 11:42 AM
I have the Cherub Wst 550c for close to 4 years.... :) just got this one...58820

PhilUSAFRet
09-17-2013, 11:50 AM
Snark! Sorry, have heard nothing but complements up till now. I have 2 and no problems. Had them for a few years now.

HBolte
09-17-2013, 12:16 PM
I'd say try another Snark too. I have had three for over a year, they take a lickin and still hold together.

sim4lin
09-17-2013, 12:21 PM
One of the tabs broke on my Snark not long after I got it.
Before it could break completely off I wrapped it in a gumband. It's lasted quite a while but when it gives up I'll get something different.

vanflynn
09-17-2013, 12:30 PM
Great idea John, although I never heard "gum band". But then again, I don't get out much.

I have two I want to try that on.

Shastastan
09-17-2013, 12:30 PM
Ditto. Have had a couple for a year and a half.

Moxieuke
09-17-2013, 12:31 PM
John, that's exactly what happened on mine. I adjusted it to face me, then the tab broke off and the head came loose. I've had this happen twice and I don't think I'm very forceful with them.

I really like your fix with the gum band. I'll definitely try that.

Kayak Jim
09-17-2013, 01:11 PM
I've had no problem with mine (but I haven't sat on it either :rolleyes:)

If a tab breaks can't one just glue the head to the stem in an appropriate position?

redpaul1
09-17-2013, 01:17 PM
To answer your question: this is what you want. Blindingly accurate and superbly discreet, and just about the same price as a Snark too-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJNFjajE-_Y

I have no financial interest in this product!

sim4lin
09-17-2013, 01:19 PM
Mine resides in the outside pocket of a very snug padded gig bag. No doubt it got leaned on or something set on top of it.
I have a new Snark that stays at home and is my favorite.
When the gumbanded one finally gives up the ghost I'll need to get something more flat for the gig bag pocket.

teruterubouzu
09-17-2013, 01:19 PM
To answer your question: this is what you want. Blindingly accurate and superbly discreet, and just about the same price as a Snark too-

Thanks for posting this. I like my snark, but have been wanting to get one of these because it's so small and I won't feel like a dork if I forget I have it on my uke.

Newportlocal
09-17-2013, 01:27 PM
I have a tiki gogo tuner I am very happy with. It is surprising accurate. I have a Peterson stroboclip when I want to check it. The tiki gets used every day no issues whatsoever.

sim4lin
09-17-2013, 01:29 PM
@Kayak Jim
I tried plastic model cement to no avail. That bit is like a snap and needs to be kind of springy. The cement I tried wasn't springy. Perhaps another type of glue could work.

@redpaul1
That looks pretty neat. :)

EDIT:
@Kayak Jim
I think I misunderstood you at first. I tried to glue the tab back on. I see you're suggesting gluing the meter right to the post... that would probably work if you didn't mind losing the pivot.

cantsing
09-17-2013, 01:45 PM

To anybody who is looking to buy this product, be aware that Planet Waves recently released a new tuner to replace the Mini--it's called the Micro. Here's a thread (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?82420-Planet-Waves-Under-Headstock-Tuner-Buzzing)with a discussion of both tuners.

Moxieuke
09-17-2013, 01:53 PM
John, I just tried your fix and it worked! It pivots too. I thought the rubber band might absorb the vibration and make it not work or work incorrectly but everything seems to function fine. I now have two working snarks where previously I had none. Thanks so much!

Patrick Madsen
09-17-2013, 01:55 PM
I have the GoGo also and find it bullet proof. I just received a free Planet Waves micro mini that recently came out. It's really small, comes with a metronome and the reading flips either way depending if you attach it on top of the peghead or below. I like the PW in that it doesn't stick out like other tuners do.

PeteyHoudini
09-17-2013, 01:58 PM

I've had THREE of these for a long time since 2009. Never broke or even had to change the battery!

Petey

sim4lin
09-17-2013, 01:59 PM
John, I just tried your fix and it worked! It pivots too. I thought the rubber band might absorb the vibration and make it not work or work incorrectly but everything seems to function fine. I now have two working snarks where previously I had none. Thanks so much!

Glad it worked for you. :)
While I would not recommend doing it a lot, the gumband method allows you to pop the meter off and on again, in a pinch.

Tim Mullins
09-17-2013, 02:00 PM
I just gave away a Snark I got with a ukulele. I like the Korg AW-2. It's quick, accurate and has a MUCH brighter display.

iamesperambient
09-17-2013, 02:11 PM
The head keeps falling off the stem! This last one I've had for a total of two months before the head snapped off. And I can no longer return it to the store, and the company wants me to pay for postage and insurance to fix it, which just isn't worth it to me.

I just got this cheap hola tuner from amazon for like 7 bucks. I had it for a month now
and the display is super bright it works great and its nice and small and portable
and clips and stays on so far so good personally i dont see any point in paying
more for a tuner when this cheap one really is great.

kohanmike
09-17-2013, 02:23 PM
I've been using the Planet Waves/d'Addorio mini tuner that fits underneath the head. Very convenient and compact.

Ukuleleblues
09-17-2013, 03:10 PM
My blue snark has held up for a couple of years. Two red Snarks both broke tabs that hold on the head after a short while. They were in the same environment as the Blue Snark. Intell imt500 has lasted much better. Have two that are old and still accurate and responsive. The blue Snark has something stuck in it. Got to drop or shake it to make it sense vibrations.

iamesperambient
09-17-2013, 03:21 PM
I've been using the Planet Waves/d'Addorio mini tuner that fits underneath the head. Very convenient and compact.

http://www.amazon.com/Hola-Clip--Tuner-Ukulele-Guitar/dp/B008GS9UNQ/ref=sr_1_4?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1379467226&sr=1-4&keywords=ukulele+tuner

this is the one i have great for the price and nice and compact as well.

She calls me Jacques
09-17-2013, 03:29 PM
I've used Snark, the older Planet Waves mini, and the new Planet Waves micro (which I received free due to buzzing of the old one as mentioned in that other thread linked above). Micro is the best and now permanently attached to the headstock of my KoAloha. I can't prove it, but both of the Planet Waves seem more accurate than the Snark. After tuning to the Snark, pitch often seems a little off to my ears, and re-tuning to the Planet Waves fixes it. Combined with my new Gotoh planetary tuners, tuning is a pleasure!

Ukejenny
09-17-2013, 03:35 PM
I still have my huge Seiko SMP20 tuner that I bought over 20 years ago. It was well over $100.00. Just looked it up and they are around, but closer to $200.00 now. Wow, how far we have come with this technology! Still love it and it is very accurate, but not convenient for a stringed instrument. I got two Lanikais for my kids and it came with a gig bag and tuner. That's what we've been using here. Haven't opened up the second tuner yet, the first one is still working fine. Not terribly accurate, but quite good. I may have to try out a Planet Waves once these two are done.

Spud1$
09-17-2013, 03:43 PM
I just got this cheap hola tuner from amazon for like 7 bucks. I had it for a month now
and the display is super bright it works great and its nice and small and portable
and clips and stays on so far so good personally i dont see any point in paying
more for a tuner when this cheap one really is great.
I bought that Hola tuner from Amazon as well. It fits the dolphin uke but pops off the Kala. Also the snark came with a battery, Hola did not, so in the end it really wasn't any cheaper.

DaveY
09-17-2013, 04:02 PM
The first time I adjusted my new Snark 8, the tab broke. The company (seller, not manufacturer) replaced it. I wonder if all Snarks are designed and made the same, or if the older versions are sturdier? Or maybe it's just a lack of quality control. In any case, I tiptoe and speak softly around the fragile #8, and will get something else the next time.

Kayak Jim
09-18-2013, 01:43 AM
@Kayak Jim
I tried plastic model cement to no avail. That bit is like a snap and needs to be kind of springy. The cement I tried wasn't springy. Perhaps another type of glue could work.

EDIT:
@Kayak Jim
I think I misunderstood you at first. I tried to glue the tab back on. I see you're suggesting gluing the meter right to the post... that would probably work if you didn't mind losing the pivot.

Yeah plastics can be hard to glue sometimes. I'd use a "rubbery" glue like Goop or Shoe Goo. And I was suggesting losing the pivot function.

redpaul1
09-18-2013, 02:07 AM
To anybody who is looking to buy this product, be aware that Planet Waves recently released a new tuner to replace the Mini--it's called the Micro. Here's a thread (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?82420-Planet-Waves-Under-Headstock-Tuner-Buzzing)with a discussion of both tuners.

Thanks for the heads-up. As it happens, I've never noticed any buzzing with my Mini that prompted the other thread. But then I always take off my tuner when performing (unless I forget). It just doesn't look professional, IMO.

Interesting as well that every photo there of the N/S Micro has it clamped underneath, but on the upper side of the headstock. I've always clamped my Mini on the underside, as per the video I posted.

Good to see that despite the buzz, all the participants in the thread felt the NS Mini/Micro was more accurate than the Snark.

bobO G
09-18-2013, 03:35 AM
I have the cheap black snark , OK I guess , though the battery does seem to run down fast . But the cats meow for me is the NS micro tuner , I have the NS mini also but the micro is just a great little tuner and you can by a two pack for under 40 bucks .

Flyinby
09-18-2013, 09:07 AM

The Snark. I have several of them, and they're great. Over the years a couple have broken, one by my son, and one by my grandson, both were their own fault and neither has broken one since. I still have the first one I bought several years ago, and with an occasional new battery, it works as new.

Everything requires care and common sense, and manufacturers can't pay postage and give free replacements to anyone who claims it's "not their fault", which may be the case in some cases, but a good percentage of them won't tell you the "rest of the story" of how they stepped on it or ran over it, it just "fell apart for no reason".

Besides, they're very inexpensive given what they do, nothing lasts forever.

The Big Kahuna
09-18-2013, 09:49 AM
A thin cable-tie should also do the trick. Or superglue it in place. It's not like it really needs to move around much anyway once you find a position you can see the display.

Moxieuke
09-18-2013, 10:08 AM
The Snark. I have several of them, and they're great. Over the years a couple have broken, one by my son, and one by my grandson, both were their own fault and neither has broken one since. I still have the first one I bought several years ago, and with an occasional new battery, it works as new.

Everything requires care and common sense, and manufacturers can't pay postage and give free replacements to anyone who claims it's "not their fault", which may be the case in some cases, but a good percentage of them won't tell you the "rest of the story" of how they stepped on it or ran over it, it just "fell apart for no reason".

Besides, they're very inexpensive given what they do, nothing lasts forever.

I didn't realize Snark had such a loyal following here on the forum. Perhaps I was a bit harsh with my criticism of the brand. But keep in mind I just had a new tuner break on me and my frustration level was high.

You're right, nothing lasts forever. But mine lasted for two months. And this wasn't the first one. My first one lasted less than a year.

You're also right. They're not expensive. But to some, a dollar is worth more than others. I just wanted my next tuner purchase to be something else and wanted recommendations, which many have given me and I'm very grateful!

mikelz777
09-18-2013, 10:37 AM
My blue Snark has been going strong for over a year now. I suspect that a lot of the breaking is due to fiddling with it and moving it around more than one should. I adjusted my Snark once so that I could see it clearly when it was clipped onto my head stock and I haven't moved it since. I don't keep it clipped to my head stock, I remove it and keep it in the little storage box in my uke case. I clip it on regularly to tune it and it still hasn't required me to adjust it in any way for over a year.

kmac66
09-18-2013, 11:21 AM
I really like the Aroma AT-300U Clip-On Chromatic Tuner. I bought it a year an a half ago and it works great.
$14 bucks on amazon and not as goofy looking. ;)

Ukuleleblues
09-18-2013, 11:58 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/50-CR2032-DL2032-ECR2032-5004LC-3-Volt-Lithium-Button-Cell-Battery-USA-US-Ship-/370776929188?pt=US_Single_Use_Batteries&hash=item565406f3a4http://www.ebay.com/itm/50-CR2032-DL2032-ECR2032-5004LC-3-Volt-Lithium-Button-Cell-Battery-USA-US-Ship-/370776929188?pt=US_Single_Use_Batteries&hash=item565406f3a4

I've bought these for my tuners, cheap, life is ok. Sells them in qty of 10,20, 50. Fast delivery.

Gillian
09-18-2013, 01:42 PM
I bought two Snarks and both broke in less than a year. Same problem: one of the tabs that hold the pivot ball breaking off when I simply went to adjust the angle.

IMO, it is a bad design. I will say that they worked better at tuning my u-Bass than the Kala tuner, which just couldn't lock onto the bass frequencies when in chromatic mode. Then again, maybe they weren't meant to be used to tune basses...

cantsing
09-18-2013, 03:30 PM
I've had the red Snark (SN-2) for 2 and 1/2 years with no problems, although I'm pretty careful with my stuff. If it did break, I'd use it as an excuse to get an NS micro. They are just so darn cute, but since I only have one uke, it's hard to justify two tuners, especially since I'm guessing I couldn't hear the difference between the two.

Nickie
09-18-2013, 03:33 PM
I have a Peterson strobe tuner....not cheap, but it works great, love it!

PhilUSAFRet
09-18-2013, 03:35 PM
Great idea John, although I never heard "gum band". But then again, I don't get out much.

I have two I want to try that on.

Spend some time in Ohio and PA and you'll here it some more. I'm from Pittsburgh, where we read up the house, worsh clothes, walk carefully when it's slippy out, and more.

sim4lin
09-18-2013, 03:39 PM
These aren't available anywhere that I've seen, and they're too pricey, but if I ever see one for 15 bucks or so I'll certainly give it a try.

http://www.snarktuners.com/tuners/son-of-snark

sim4lin
09-18-2013, 03:43 PM
Spend some time in Ohio and PA and you'll here it some more. I'm from Pittsburgh, where we read up the house, worsh clothes, walk carefully when it's slippy out, and more.

We also enjoy hangin'-aht-in-at...

cantsing
09-18-2013, 04:10 PM
These aren't available anywhere that I've seen, and they're too pricey, but if I ever see one for 15 bucks or so I'll certainly give it a try.

http://www.snarktuners.com/tuners/son-of-snark

Another cutie-pie tuner that claims to be more accurate than the original? OK, I've definitely got TAS. Luckily, as you point out, this new Snark doesn't seem to be available anywhere. Yet.

OldePhart
09-18-2013, 05:02 PM
Snarks are okay but not at all rugged. I've broken two. They do have the advantage of being cheap and thus no great loss if they disappear at a meet up.

I'm really impressed with the new Micro NS tuners from D'Addario (formerly Planet Waves). Not as cheap as the Snark but they seem to be more precise and are tiny enough I can leave them on the headstock. They are a huge improvement over the Mini NS tuners (branded Planet Waves, somewhat larger, and tended to rattle).

John

csibona
09-19-2013, 01:49 PM
I've broken many a red snark... It's disappointing. Oh, and I've had the same breakage that others report - one tab that holds the ball...

OldePhart
09-19-2013, 03:33 PM
I've broken many a red snark... It's disappointing. Oh, and I've had the same breakage that others report - one tab that holds the ball...

Yeah...that's how both of mine that broke, broke. I can't completely blame the tuner, though. In one case I tried to close a case over the tuner (oops) - and in the other I was at UWC, not watching where I was going, and rammed the tuner that was on the headstock into the pole holding up somebody's canopy. Still, they can't by any means be described as rugged.

John

hammer40
09-19-2013, 04:26 PM
I have the black snark and have had no problems with it. I use it everyday before I play and do move the head quite a bit, but again no problems. I do find it to be more accurate than the two others I have, so all in all I'm happy with it.

Jake Wildwood
09-19-2013, 05:25 PM
Had mine 20 min before a tab broke... it's been in masking tape ever since but it's not an ideal fix. Sigh.

hent
09-19-2013, 05:55 PM
Mine broke too and now I'm using my boss chromatic tuner. It sure was nice to use it for a short period of time when it wasn't broken.
Time to pick another one but a different brand and maybe it will last longer than the snark.

bunnyf
09-19-2013, 06:26 PM
I wouldn't pick the snark again, mainly because I'm not sure careful with it and tend to leave it on the headstock sometimes when I put my uke in the case and the way the head of it sticks io so much, I'm not surprised that the tabs don't hold up for some folks. I'd like something smaller and more streamlined when this goes. I do like how it shuts itself off though to not waste battery, but I haven't had it that long and one of the pads fell off already. All the talk about the PW micro has me kinda hoping that the snark bites the dust soon. Actually I will probably just pass it on to a tuner-deprived kid.

consitter
09-19-2013, 06:30 PM
I've got this one (http://www.samash.com/gogo-tuners-tiki-ukulele-clip-on-tuner-gtikixxxx?cm_mmc=Shopzilla-_-Guitars-_-Channeladvisor-_-GOGO+Tuners+Tiki+Ukulele+Clip-on+Tuner&utm_source=SZS&utm_medium=CSE&utm_campaign=Channeladvisor&CA_6C15C=1592985128).

It's simple, and it's cheap. And it's BRIGHT!

Tootler
09-19-2013, 08:47 PM
Before it could break completely off I wrapped it in a gumband. It's lasted quite a while but when it gives up I'll get something different.

I've had the same problem with one of mine. I used electrical insulating tape and I've relegated it to home use only. I agree they are a bit fragile but are otherwise excellent tuners.

sim4lin
09-19-2013, 09:17 PM
I've had the same problem with one of mine. I used electrical insulating tape and I've relegated it to home use only. I agree they are a bit fragile but are otherwise excellent tuners.

I have a foxfire style mountain banjo made of oak. It's basically a caveman club and the Snark is the only thing (so far) that will tune it reliably.

strumsilly
09-20-2013, 12:08 AM

me too,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

2mnycars
03-30-2019, 04:21 PM
Thanks for the posts...I like my SNARK. However, I've broken a tab on the back of the head. Need to fix it...

" did a youtube search and found one fix...and another one when I googled...someone glued the head of their snark to the mount. He took the extension right off the SNARK. It worked, but he had to place the head in the right position to see it clearly when he tuned.

Kenn2018
03-30-2019, 05:22 PM
The new version of the D'Addario NS Micro tuner is just as accurate as the Snark—maybe more so according to my Peterson Strobo Plus. It's very bright, and easier to read than the previous version. You can change the orientation of the display with just a click of a button. And they are small. So they pretty much fit any headstock.

They did do away with the metronome. But I never used it and it was too easy to accidentally trigger it. Plus, I had one where the metronome wouldn't turn off.

I'm really impressed with the new design. Inexpensive too.

peterbright
03-30-2019, 07:12 PM
I only use Peterson tuners...the sweetened settings are worth the price (in my opinion) and their head do not break off.

CommonCurt
03-30-2019, 09:36 PM
I only use Peterson tuners...the sweetened settings are worth the price (in my opinion) and their head do not break off.

Yep. After getting a Peterson stobo clip HD I don't like using any others.
I do also have a TC Electronic UniTune as a backup, but it's not as accurate as the Peterson.

merlin666
03-30-2019, 10:37 PM
I bought mine about 5 years ago and it still works great on 3rd battery on several ukes and guitars with very odd headstock sizes. It also has travelled a lot and survived. But I also don't leave it on after the instrument was tuned... that's a bad habit and will cause problems regardless of brand.

UkingViking
03-30-2019, 11:06 PM
I have both a Snark and a Peterson.
Only about a year old both of them, No problems with either.

For my ears both are adequate in accuracy.

Jarmo_S
03-30-2019, 11:55 PM
I do also have a TC Electronic UniTune as a backup, but it's not as accurate as the Peterson.

I do like my TC Electronic clip, but I use the normal tuner mode, that the box it came says gives 0.5 cent accuracy. It is very convenient because of the stability and fastness of the tuning. Just a few secs and ukulele is in tune, unlike some others where the needle vibrates like crazy. To me 0.5 cent is a lot in accuracy, compared to what I can tune with a tuning fork and my ears.

Box says also that the strobo tuning mode gives 0.02 cent accuracy, but it is not as fast and convenient.

I wonder a lot if the sweetened settings of Peterson are just a marketing gimmick?

Jerryc41
03-31-2019, 01:07 AM

I have a couple of them, but I don't like the way it attaches - too much fiddling (no pun intended). Maybe it's just me.

Jerryc41
03-31-2019, 01:08 AM
I didn't read every reply on all seven pages, but here's a possible repair that someone posted recently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTmYwRAiT1s

ukantor
03-31-2019, 01:23 AM
I bought one of the original Snarks more than eight years ago. It has not suffered any damage and still works as well as ever. As far as I can remember, it is on its third battery.

I'm a happy customer.

John Colter

BBegall
03-31-2019, 04:17 AM
I agree. Snarks fall apart too easily. I was using them until I Discovered the DAddario micro tuners which I much prefer.

D18picker
03-31-2019, 04:19 AM
I’ve gone through three of those Snarks. Two of them became sticky to touch. The plastic failing? The other one broke at the ball part of the stem. I bought a Gewa Pure CLP- tuner taking a gamble on it but it’s very good and easy to use. Small and has settings for uke, guitar violin and a coupe of others.

BBegall
03-31-2019, 04:24 AM
The DAddario is available in two attachment styles, one of which mimics the Snark spring clamp the other is the one I'm guessing you find "fiddling". It doesn't always fit really thin or thick headstocks easily. I use the clamp on version for those. Two of my Snarks lost their head, that was enough.

natchez
03-31-2019, 04:53 AM

Excellent tuner; had mine for years now and other than changing the battery- perfecto!

natchez
03-31-2019, 04:58 AM

I also have one of these, and like the sweetened tuning when I play solo. It is indeed incredibly accurate, but it is much more time-consuming for me to use, YMMV, than the Intelli MT-500. I used it more when I played mandolin to make sure the paired strings were right. So, I tend to use the Intelli more everyday for ukuleles, especially, if I am playing with other folks.

Jerryc41
03-31-2019, 05:21 AM
I have lots of tuners and maybe a dozen Snarks. I find them the easiest to use, so I have them in cases, my "uke bag," and all around the house. Never a problem. I wish they would make a rechargeable model. I have a rechargeable made by someone else.

Rllink
03-31-2019, 06:02 AM
I wish they would make a rechargeable model. I have a rechargeable made by someone else. I was looking at a rechargeable tuner a while ago. How much time and money do you think that you save by getting a rechargeable one? I'm just saying that I only own two tuners, but I use one every day and I probably change batteries once a year, if that.

Jerryc41
03-31-2019, 06:17 AM
I was looking at a rechargeable tuner a while ago. How much time and money do you think that you save by getting a rechargeable one? I'm just saying that I only own two tuners, but I use one every day and I probably change batteries once a year, if that.

Not to save money, since I buy 10 or 12 batteries from Amazon at a time for just a few dollars, but for the convenience. I'd never have to buy batteries, find them, and swap them.

Arcy
03-31-2019, 06:42 AM
Personality type has a strong effect on which tuners one should use. Organized folks may be able to get away with one fancy tuner. I prefer lots of inexpensive ones 'cause I can't keep track of them. I don't think I've ever had one last long enough to break or to run its battery out (unless it's embedded in the ukelele, but that's a different rant!). I'm pretty sure the cats have a Smaug-style horde of my tuners and picks somewhere.

etudes
03-31-2019, 07:58 AM
I don't think anyone has mentioned the Uber tuner from KLIQ. Super precise and a big bright display, and endorsed by Blackbird. The first one died shortly after purchase. Thinking I had nothing to lose I contacted KLIQ and they quickly replied, very apologetic and acknowledged a manufacturing problem with that one batch, and within 2 days I had a replacement. It does require a new battery occasionally, not surprising with the big bright display.

https://www.kliqmusicgear.com/products/ubertuner-all-instrument-clip-on-tuner

Having said that, Snarks have always worked well and haven't broken yet! I'm glad we have such a plethora of choice these days

MopMan
03-31-2019, 08:53 AM
This thread is fueling my UCAS. I was perfectly happy with my Snarks despite the fact that the hinges were slowly breaking. Now I have to buy like, three different other brands of tuner. There goes another $60.

bellgamin
03-31-2019, 08:20 PM
I have used Fishman FT-2 Digital Chromatic Clip-On Tuners (https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Fishman+FT-2+Digital+Chromatic+Clip-On+Tuner&i=mi&ref=nb_sb_noss) for several years. It isn't jittery with its read-outs. Very bright dial. Tough as a cob. Flip it upright & it turns on. Flip it back & it turns off. My entire class of 20 used them -- never a problem.

Jeffelele
03-31-2019, 10:05 PM
I have two Snarks. On one of them, a couple of years ago, one of the little tabs that form the moving joint broke so that it was just hanging on. I took some duct tape and cut a thin strip of it that would just cover that joint and carefully but tightly wrapped it around.

I taped the other joint and then did both joints on my undamaged Snark. I’ve been using them both and have had no further trouble.

2mnycars
04-01-2019, 03:37 AM
I didn't read every reply on all seven pages, but here's a possible repair that someone posted recently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTmYwRAiT1s

I fixed my SNARK!
(I posted that link, but it's not the method I used.)
I took the broken SNARK. On the back, I inserted the curved extension in the SNARK. It barely held with 2 plastic teeth around it. I put the broken 3rd tooth and placed it carefully.
Used an elastic band. about 2 inches. 1/4 inch wide.
Wrapped it around the socket with 3 teeth...then around and around and around....
When I was finally done (4 attempts), it held the extension in place really well.
I put the mount on the other end. Carefully.
My SNARK is fixed!
I found this repair method when I googled "fix my broken SNARK tuner"
I'm grateful it worked.
(There are two other methods I considered....one--removing the extension completely; use gorilla glue to glue to the SNARK to the mount. Two...use the repair above. Use thin cord wrapped around and around and around the broken socket. Then use superglue or gorilla glue to hold that cord in place.)
I can do either of those if my repair doesn't last.
I broke my SNARK by leaving it loose in my gig bag; I don't have a pocket for stuff...and the bag doesn't have a lot of extra room.
My Uke is a KALA tenor travel uke. It has a lovely gig bag.
Dave

Jerryc41
04-01-2019, 03:49 AM
I fixed my SNARK!
(I posted that link, but it's not the method I used.)
I took the broken SNARK. On the back, I inserted the curved extension in the SNARK. It barely held with 2 plastic teeth around it. I put the broken 3rd tooth and placed it carefully.
Used an elastic band. about 2 inches. 1/4 inch wide.
Wrapped it around the socket with 3 teeth...then around and around and around....
When I was finally done (4 attempts), it held the extension in place really well.
I put the mount on the other end. Carefully.
My SNARK is fixed!
I found this repair method when I googled "fix my broken SNARK tuner"
I'm grateful it worked.
(There are two other methods I considered....one--removing the extension completely; use gorilla glue to glue to the SNARK to the mount. Two...use the repair above. Use thin cord wrapped around and around and around the broken socket. Then use superglue or gorilla glue to hold that cord in place.)
I can do either of those if my repair doesn't last.
I broke my SNARK by leaving it loose in my gig bag; I don't have a pocket for stuff...and the bag doesn't have a lot of extra room.
My Uke is a KALA tenor travel uke. It has a lovely gig bag.
Dave

Which one of theshttps://www.google.com/search?q=fix+my+broken+snark+tuner&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS716US717&oq=fix+my+broken+snark+tuner&aqs=chrome..69i57.14375j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

2mnycars
04-01-2019, 04:02 PM
Jerry I can't find the link.
I searched on my iMac at home. If you look at the back of the tuner, one of the three on my teeth on my tuner broke. (Had the tuner in my uke gig bag, off the uke)
The repair had a photo--a "gum band" or elastic band wrapped around those 3 teeth.
I made it harder than I needed to. I put the extension in place within the 3 teeth. So I had to go around, and over the extension with the elastic band every time I wrapped it. Fiddly. 4th try I got it on. I'm grateful. So my 2 inch elastic band has maybe 10 wraps around the three teeth. I put the extension into the mount (carefully). SNARK looks like new. Until you look at the back.
DaveL

2mnycars
04-01-2019, 04:13 PM

Thanks! This helped me a lot. I fixed mine too.

Jerry this is the link that started me off repairing mine. Check the attachment. It shows a SNARK repaired with a gum band, or elastic band.

Thanks sim4lin!

Jerryc41
04-01-2019, 11:37 PM
Jerry I can't find the link.
I searched on my iMac at home. If you look at the back of the tuner, one of the three on my teeth on my tuner broke. (Had the tuner in my uke gig bag, off the uke)
The repair had a photo--a "gum band" or elastic band wrapped around those 3 teeth.
I made it harder than I needed to. I put the extension in place within the 3 teeth. So I had to go around, and over the extension with the elastic band every time I wrapped it. Fiddly. 4th try I got it on. I'm grateful. So my 2 inch elastic band has maybe 10 wraps around the three teeth. I put the extension into the mount (carefully). SNARK looks like new. Until you look at the back.
DaveL

Thanks. If one breaks, I'll use Google and improvise.

2mnycars
04-03-2019, 04:53 AM
check out the post I copied above by sim4lin He attached a photo that shows the repair much better than I described it.
I actually found his post early early on in this thread.
It's simple. I found it difficult with my hands; however, perseverance....

I found this forum when i googled looking for a fix for my broken SNARK. I broke it storing my SNARK in my gig bag, not on my uke. I've played my Uke for several years; I just bought the SNARK. My wife said: careful; they're fragile. I didn't listen. If this repair doesn't lask I'll likely go back to using the KALA app for tuning I have on my iPhone.

El Viejo
04-03-2019, 03:35 PM
It's great you all have found some solutions to working with these!

I personally gave up on Snark. Good tuners in terms of the quality of tuning, at least in my experience! However, they chewed up batteries like nobody's business. It wasn't even the breaking for me- it was that it was too easy for them to get jostled in a gig bag or case and turn on and start "tuning" thin air, making the batteries go dead way too quickly.

It cost a lot more to jump to using TC Unitunes- they do cost 3x more which is obviously an issue, but they seem to be holding up much better so far.

kissing
04-04-2019, 05:20 AM
I've had my Snark tuner for over 3 years, and it has been everywhere and taken a beating - still works perfectly.
Many other tuners I owned before Snark broke prematurely. The Snark has been the most reliable and durable so far.

But it looks like individual experiences may differ!

Jerryc41
04-04-2019, 06:18 AM
I've had my Snark tuner for over 3 years, and it has been everywhere and taken a beating - still works perfectly.
Many other tuners I owned before Snark broke prematurely. The Snark has been the most reliable and durable so far.

But it looks like individual experiences may differ!

We have so many Snarks in my groups that I'm going to put colored stickers on mine - not that it matters much which one I bring home.

Given the choice, I would buy a tuner designed for a uke, rather than one that can tune other stringed instruments.

rrieth
04-04-2019, 07:14 AM
I had 3 snark red tuners I bought about 10 years ago. They all eventually broke at the head pivot. I repaired them by gluing in place with 5 minute epoxy. I had to throw one away because the epoxy leaked onto the battery and glued it to the guts and I couldn't remove the dead battery. I misplaced one, but am still using the surviving one. I now mostly been use a ZenStrobe strobe tuner. It has a strobe function which seems to be more accurate than Snark, but has a function which provides a Snark-like display. The indicators are LED, and easier to read than Snark in high ambient light levels. The supports and pivots are more rugged and screwed and nutted together. It cost me about three times as much as a Snark, but I consider it well worth the price. I swap the one tuner among my instruments instead of having one tuner for each.

I would sum up by saying that I have found an option that works better for me than the Snark and when that dies I won't be buying another Snark. There are worse tuners than Snark, so I won't summarily dismiss them for that one design weakness. I am however, surprised that the company seemingly doesn't pay attention to the large number of failures and re-engineer the case to make it more robust.

Jerry, Snark makes a tuner they say is designed for the higher frequency range of ukulele. I have no experience with it.

Jerryc41
04-04-2019, 10:15 AM
Jerry, Snark makes a tuner they say is designed for the higher frequency range of ukulele. I have no experience with it.

Yes, my Snarks are for ukes, but other tuners are for multiple instruments.

Kibes37
04-04-2019, 10:28 AM
I’m not a fan of snark although that’s my primary turner. My iPhone apps work just as well.

kissing
04-04-2019, 02:36 PM
We have so many Snarks in my groups that I'm going to put colored stickers on mine - not that it matters much which one I bring home.

Given the choice, I would buy a tuner designed for a uke, rather than one that can tune other stringed instruments.

I use my Snark not just for ukulele, but also for guitar and bass too. Used it for other instruments too including violin and trumpet :)
Works flawlessly for all of them.

I don't necessarily see how a tuner can be more specific for ukulele compared to other clip on tuners that are for guitars, etc, other than marketing

mikelz777
04-04-2019, 05:12 PM
I used my Snark tuner for years with no issues. I would put it on the uke to tune it then I would put it back in the storage box of my hard case. I wouldn't even manipulate it around, I set it to the desired position and that was pretty much it. Then one day I noticed one of the tabs on the head had cracked and the head fell off. I got a Reverb tuner to replace it and the Snark was shelved until I saw this thread. I used the glue and thread approach showed in one of the links above. I put a little Vaseline on the ball end of the arm then inserted it into the socket. I put Elmer's glue on the outside of the tabs and then tightly wound thread around the whole height of the three tabs. Once I finished that I spread more glue on the outside of the threads. I let it dry and then applied another coat of glue on the outside of the threads. The fix worked great and now the Snark is back in action! I checked the tabs on the clamp end of the tuner and noticed a crack starting to form on one of those tabs so I did the same fix on that as a preemptive move.

I think the Snark tuner works great and I love its display and accuracy but I agree with whoever said that it was poorly engineered. With all the issues, I think the plastic is probably too brittle for its intended purpose. I see a crack on the body of mine too just above the battery port and I handle the tuner gently all the time.

My uke count has climbed to 5 and for convenience sake, I wanted a tuner in each case so I'd always have one on hand no matter which uke I picked. Rather than spend a lot of money on tuners, I bought a bunch off of AliExpress for about $2 a pop and they work just fine. For that price, if something happened to them I wouldn't care.

ukantor
04-04-2019, 08:50 PM
I've just checked my eight year old Snark for signs of cracking, and it seems to be just fine. I do like the idea of the preemptive move, though. Thread and glue will be applied at both weak points later today. It must be easier than doing it after it has broken.

John Colter.

CommonCurt
04-04-2019, 09:39 PM
I really wanted to like my snarks (I bought the ukulele model and the red model), but my ukes just are not all the way in tune when they tell me they are.

Jerryc41
04-05-2019, 12:51 AM
I don't necessarily see how a tuner can be more specific for ukulele compared to other clip on tuners that are for guitars, etc, other than marketing

When the tuner is designed for other instruments, you have to either give the button one quick press or hold it for a couple of seconds. If you do it wrong, it selects another instrument - kind of a nuisance.

Jarmo_S
04-05-2019, 04:11 AM
Something like a new instrument setting is not needed, none specific when tuning ukulele. The range of ukulele regarding a clip tuner is not too high at all to a normal ones you can can get, in fact everyones. So I also don't really understand?

Jerry, do you really want some ukulele restricted tuner because of less response of a range, or you want one because it should tell even if over one octave too high or low? That last I can understand, sort of ;)

glennerd
04-05-2019, 05:09 AM
When the tuner is designed for other instruments, you have to either give the button one quick press or hold it for a couple of seconds. If you do it wrong, it selects another instrument - kind of a nuisance.

I got one of those tuners with instrument specific settings with a cheap ukukele. Even when I have the uke setting, if I have a new uke that's way out of tune or new strings, all it wants to tell me is if I'm at GCEA and I have no idea where it's tuned. It's very frustrating. They try to dumb it down for people who don't know what notes their strings are supposed to be, but it ends up complicating things. Fortunately, I figured out it had a chromatic setting. Give me a chromatic tuner every time.

As far as frequency range, the only time I've had issues is with tuners not picking up my ubass well.

MopMan
04-05-2019, 04:24 PM
My uke count has climbed to 5 and for convenience sake, I wanted a tuner in each case so I'd always have one on hand no matter which uke I picked. Rather than spend a lot of money on tuners, I bought a bunch off of AliExpress for about $2 a pop and they work just fine. For that price, if something happened to them I wouldn't care.

I did a similar thing with snark. On sale at Amazon for $6 a pop: one for each case. Half are now broken at the above mentioned weak point, but even though they only lasted a couple years, I think it was well worth the expense.

UkingViking
04-05-2019, 09:47 PM

In my opinion this problem only arises if by some accident you take the tuner out of chromatic mode.
I prefer tuners with only chromatic mode.

I have a tuner with modes for guitar, ukulele, violin etc. But I prefer the chromatic mode. It works for both my ukuleles and my guitar, and besides telling me if it is in tune, it tells me what note it is actually playing.

But every once in a while when trying to turn it off, I would accidentially change the mode.

rrieth
04-06-2019, 03:08 AM
I have these two questions.

I was under the impression that the Snark ukulele tuner was chromatic like their other tuners, but more sensitive to the higher frequencies of the uke. At the time I was looking at the SN6 reviewers saw no real benefit compared with the red or blue all instrument Snarks. Jerry and others who own them, can you comment? I haven't noticed any problems with my SN2 red tuners detecting pitch of my ukuleles (tenor, concert, and concert banjolele).

At the time my Snarks broke I searched online to find out how common the issue was. That was at least 5 years ago. At the time posters were saying this was only a problem with the SN2 red tuners. Has anyone had their blue or black bodied Snark tuner fail at the pivot?

I can understand the poster's comment that two years life for a $6 tuner is not bad. My Snarks lasted longer than that before they failed. It bothers me, however, that after all the years that Danelectro has been making these that, instead of fixing this weak point of their product, they have chosen to devote their engineering budget to creating new variations of the product, and expect the customer to replace or repair and otherwise functioning tuner.

In the meantime, other manufacturers are coming out with more robust products providing the accuracy and easy to read display of Snark with a more robust case. Jerry's example of Kliq uber tuner looks like one example. At twice the price of Snark I would consider it a better buy since the case would likely outlast the Snark at least by double. I have seen other tuners available with this type of case. I am enthusiastic about my Zenstrobe tuner, which uses LED's in a display similar in size and readability similar to Snark, but brighter in a robust case. It has the added function of strobe tuning which is more accurate. At about $35 it cost as much as three Snarks at street price. I consider it as much a good buy as Snarks, as it has the promise of much longer trouble free life. I decided that I only need the one tuner and swap it among my ukes and guitars. I still have one repaired Snark for a spare.