Eleuke tenor or konablaster baritone?

iamesperambient

Reaction score
So i've been a guitar based ambient musician for some years now and i decided on a whim to sell my guitar and get some extra cash (since ive been super poor lately) and some new ukes (ive been playing uke for 10 years also) I got a epi les paul which is nice but doesn't have the electric sustain of a solid body and frankly i love playing it but recording wise its not giving me the sound i want. I'm trying to decide on the konablaster baritone steel string which looks awesome and i like the idea of a baritone when playing steel string electric style this way i get the in between of the guitar and uke and still a unique sound over all. The Konablaster has humbucker pick ups which is aces to me, and the eleuke has a piezo which to me seems to be more geared towards acoustic sounds. I'm selling my whole music collection on ebay in hopes ill be able to get one of these soonish. Just can't decide on which one...any suggestions? im still leaning towards the konablaster...

Look up Eastwood Warren Ellis electric tenor guitar.
It's probably exactly what you're looking for, and blows the other two options completely out of the water.

Soarsy guitars also makes really good 4-string electric guitars, but i have not tried one myself.

It's probably exactly what you're looking for, and blows the other two options completely out of the water.

Soarsy guitars also makes really good 4-string electric guitars, but i have not tried one myself.

true, the only thing is i actually play ukulele if there is a rating system of skill from 1-10 id be a 9.5 on ukulele
and guitar im actually maybe a 5. I'm great with effects and im creative but since i play uke better i feel like i could utilizes my skills mixed with my know how of recording/pedals and electronic better. I'm really looking for a cheap priced solid body tenor or baritone ukulele. Ideally the risa solid body les paul ones are ideal to me but i can't afford those....so it seems eleuke or konablaster are my only choices in a realistic price range. Just can't decide which is better for playign though various effects and distortions for layered and looped effects for ambient soundscapes. If konablaster made a tenor it would be ideal..but the baritone has more fretroom which is something else im looking for...i dont know. Also eleuke has a peizo pick ups which the humbucker appeals to me more ...decisions, decisions.

The quality of the nylon-stringed solid-body Eleuke electrics became so inconsistent that the manufacturer has stopped making them. The most affordable high-quality brand on the market right now (IMO) is the new Teton line of electric ukuleles. I got one a few weeks ago and am doing some of the same type of music that you're talking about (on a newbie level, anyway).

To quote myself from another thread here, I play my Teton tenor in GarageBand through my Mac (via an iRigHD audio interface); or through an amp with effects pedals; or in various guitar amp emulation and effects pedals apps on my iPad (also via the iRigHD). I can produce all kinds of amazing sounds (I think the sustain is great) and record multiple tracks. Despite the piezo, it does not sound acoustic . . . unless you want it to.

Contact Mim at MimsUkes — she’ll give you honest advice, a great price, expert setup, and I believe free shipping thru the end of this month. (And she'll put on a low G string at no additional cost, if you prefer the more guitar-like linear tuning.)

Last edited:
The quality of the nylon-stringed solid-body Eleuke electrics became so inconsistent that the manufacturer has stopped making them. The most affordable high-quality brand on the market right now (IMO) is the new Teton line of electric ukuleles. I got one a few weeks ago and am doing some of the same type of music that you're talking about (on a newbie level, anyway).

To quote myself from another thread here, I play my Teton tenor in GarageBand through my Mac (via an iRigHD audio interface); or through an amp with effects pedals; or in various guitar amp emulation and effects pedals apps on my iPad (also via the iRigHD). I can produce all kinds of amazing sounds (I think the sustain is great) and record multiple tracks. Despite the piezo, it does not sound acoustic . . . unless you want it to.

Contact Mim at MimsUkes — she’ll give you honest advice, a great price, expert setup, and I believe free shipping thru the end of this month.

I did this with the epiphone les paul
https://soundcloud.com/i-am-esper/sundogs-part-1-lo-fi-electric

its still doable but not very versatile beyond what i did here.

I didn't realize they stopped making eleukes.
i actually have been starring at the konablaster online
all night and i decided to just go for the soprano konablaster
i think it should have the right sustain and the classic uke sound
mixed in more than the baritone (and its cheaper) so i think im gonna save up for one of those :)

Last edited:
true, the only thing is i actually play ukulele if there is a rating system of skill from 1-10 id be a 9.5 on ukulele
and guitar im actually maybe a 5. I'm great with effects and im creative but since i play uke better i feel like i could utilizes my skills mixed with my know how of recording/pedals and electronic better. I'm really looking for a cheap priced solid body tenor or baritone ukulele. Ideally the risa solid body les paul ones are ideal to me but i can't afford those....so it seems eleuke or konablaster are my only choices in a realistic price range. Just can't decide which is better for playign though various effects and distortions for layered and looped effects for ambient soundscapes. If konablaster made a tenor it would be ideal..but the baritone has more fretroom which is something else im looking for...i dont know. Also eleuke has a peizo pick ups which the humbucker appeals to me more ...decisions, decisions.

The "tenor guitars" I have recommended are basically steel-stringed 4-stringed baritone ukes, but much better.
It's what you're looking for.

http://eastwoodguitars.com/index.ph...ody-guitars/item/warren-ellis-signature-tenor

http://soaresyguitars.com/

I've owned 5 Eleukes (from various production times), 7 Risa Electric ukes (Soprano stick, Concert stick, Tenor stick, Soprano stick again with geared tuners, LP Tenor, LP Soprano, Single Coil Tenor)... I've also had the Epiphone Mandobird, Epiphone Les Paul concert uke...

But I've concluded that the most suitable electric instrument for me is the Eastwood Warren Ellis tenor guitar (with DGBE tuning).
All the benefits of a true electric guitar, but it feels like a baritone ukulele with more fretroom and superb quality and tone!

Last edited:
The "tenor guitars" I have recommended are basically steel-stringed 4-stringed baritone ukes, but much better.
It's what you're looking for.

http://eastwoodguitars.com/index.ph...ody-guitars/item/warren-ellis-signature-tenor

http://soaresyguitars.com/

I've owned 5 Eleukes (from various production times), 7 Risa Electric ukes (Soprano stick, Concert stick, Tenor stick, Soprano stick again with geared tuners, LP Tenor, LP Soprano, Single Coil Tenor)... I've also had the Epiphone Mandobird, Epiphone Les Paul concert uke...

But I've concluded that the most suitable electric instrument for me is the Eastwood Warren Ellis tenor guitar (with DGBE tuning).
All the benefits of a true electric guitar, but it feels like a baritone ukulele with more fretroom and superb quality and tone!

Ya can't afford that price right now my cap is at 300.
And im barely figuring out how im going to come up with
that money (through selling other things I own). I saw the
konablaster in action on youtube and i think for now
in this segment in my project the sorpano konablaster
will do the job for me for the time being. I like the unique
look of them too its almost refreshing not to see copy
bodies of other famous instruments, but instead a more
unique look.

Sort of crossing threads here, I just posted about this electric uke I bought for £50 they need a little bit of work but sound like a cheaper alternative to the ukes you've mentioned... concert sized with a rail humbucker.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?86137-telele-(electric-uke)

I don't think they sell these in the USA.
Honestly id rather get something from a maker
who has a better rep even if its slightly more expensive.
I already feel like i have a mid rage cheapo (the epiphone)
why get two?

I don't think they sell these in the USA.
Honestly id rather get something from a maker
who has a better rep even if its slightly more expensive.
I already feel like i have a mid rage cheapo (the epiphone)
why get two?

These are steel strung, rather than nylon like the epiphone

yes i saw that. But to get it shipped from over seas is going to be costly
they dont have a praised rep like blue star does either (in fact i never heard of it
until now). Id rather save up and get something of better quality..... mahalo
makes a steel string too which judging from the demos on youtube its total
crap (and that one is cheap too).

they dont have a praised rep like blue star does either (in fact i never heard of it

Fair enough... vintage are quite a well known brand over here make some good guitars. And it was only a suggestion. I haven't seen any demos of these on YouTube.

So far im liking the idea of the konablaster and its in my price range.
trying to save up a little than ill make a decision.

Interesting thread: the synthetic strings used by ukeplayers do the "electric " guitar sound less credit (using amps with pedals) than when, steel strings are used with humbuckers on ukes and mandolins. http://www.manndolin.com But it would be nice if you could and not having to switch or learn to play guitar.
Staying on the ukulele side we now have Aquila String Co manufacturing red strings which contain a certain amount of copper, to make them heavier and lower sounding and not getting "too fat"! All good !
My query is whether these copper loaded strings can't "excite" a humbucker pick-up, now that they have blended a metal in them? That would get "those that choose to" closer on more sound options for players that prefer the "synthetic string" feel, and a four string instrument?
If you look at the YT's in the www.manndolin.com site you'll see some nice clips, which are achieved using steel strings and some form of pedal with the 2 humbuckers. By the way, I do not have any link with this company, but I think he builds nice instruments at a high cost.

Interesting thread: the synthetic strings used by ukeplayers do the "electric " guitar sound less credit (using amps with pedals) than when, steel strings are used with humbuckers on ukes and mandolins. http://www.manndolin.com But it would be nice if you could and not having to switch or learn to play guitar.
Staying on the ukulele side we now have Aquila String Co manufacturing red strings which contain a certain amount of copper, to make them heavier and lower sounding and not getting "too fat"! All good !
My query is whether these copper loaded strings can't "excite" a humbucker pick-up, now that they have blended a metal in them? That would get "those that choose to" closer on more sound options for players that prefer the "synthetic string" feel, and a four string instrument?
If you look at the YT's in the www.manndolin.com site you'll see some nice clips, which are achieved using steel strings and some form of pedal with the 2 humbuckers. By the way, I do not have any link with this company, but I think he builds nice instruments at a high cost.

I have a set of aquila reds on my les paul uke and plugged in it has a much brighter more resonate sound and when unplugged it does have a metallic sound.
They improved the uke a lot from the crappy strings it came with. But im still learning peizo vs a true electric guitar style pick up is a big difference.
For me im looking for something where i can play a lead on without picking up the popping and snapping of my fingers hitting the strings like what the piezo
does. I also want more sustain and i want to get the full electric sound with my uke. I do play guitar and i started on guitar but im just over all a much
more skilled ukulele player so i want to stay on the uke, but get the most of out it, electric sound, acoustic electric sound and acoustic sound and do it all.
So it looks like for me the konablaster is the best option (just gotta save up!)

Well this sucks :/ just checked elderly instruments and the blue konablaster sorpano
i have been eyeing for 270 is gone :( now the only one left is 300 bucks and its white( not the color i wanted).
Im guessing their the ones who make 'blue star' instruments? i cant find them for sale anywhere else. hopefully
they make more available soon.

without picking up the popping and snapping of my fingers hitting the strings like what the piezo does

I agree with you on that. It takes an enormous amount of tweaking on the amp to get those sounds reduced. My experience on this subject is with a MiSi. I also have a uke with a passive Fishman piezo glued under the soundboard in the middle. That uke has far less unwanted sounds. On slow numbers it is more noticeable than on up-beat numbers. I know I should be mic-ing the instrument, but that is another schlepp especially if you move out of the mic's range. As they say, the reading and searching continues! I understand the upmarket guitars are experimenting with little mics.

I agree with you on that. It takes an enormous amount of tweaking on the amp to get those sounds reduced. My experience on this subject is with a MiSi. I also have a uke with a passive Fishman piezo glued under the soundboard in the middle. That uke has far less unwanted sounds. On slow numbers it is more noticeable than on up-beat numbers. I know I should be mic-ing the instrument, but that is another schlepp especially if you move out of the mic's range. As they say, the reading and searching continues! I understand the upmarket guitars are experimenting with little mics.

for a player who wants a true acoustic tone this could be really annoying!

I'm tryingo to get more of an electric sound the search continues for me for
the right recording uke (i love playing my acoustics all the time but for
my music i need an electric sound). So sad that blue konablaster is gone now :(

Contact Mim at MimsUkes — she’ll give you honest advice, a great price, expert setup, and I believe free shipping thru the end of this month. (And she'll put on a low G string at no additional cost, if you prefer the more guitar-like linear tuning.)

We have had some difficulty about EleUke quality issues but all problems cleared and start to make EleUkes again with one Japanese owned factory.
Already finished 5 new 2014 version models now and will make some more Baritone and steel string models very soon.

Thanks
Philip

I agree with kissing.
and kissing knows his stuff.

steel strings with humbuckers is so sweet.

Top Bottom