Mahogany Sunburst Kinnard tenor with slotted head has arrived!

Doc_J

Reaction score
My Mahogany Sunburst Kinnard tenor arrived today. I thought the Kinnard Road Trip Uke was wonderful, but this tenor has exceeded all my expectations. Had to go off to work today (drat), so only had a brief session playing it this morning.

I was lucky to call dibs on this tenor first. It is drop-dead gorgeous, without flaw! The sound is so smooth with deep, mellow bass and clear treble. I've played a lot of great sounding ukes, but this Kinnard Mahogany Sunburst tenor is unique and with a tone like fine chocolate (sweet, dark, with perfect resonance and sustain). It is everything I hoped for in this instrument. John Kinnard is truly a gifted luthier.

Here's a short sound sample right out of the box (B tuning).
https://app.box.com/s/ryg806us27u5re1pmjfh

Thought to add a few other sound samples:
https://app.box.com/s/c2wzoy8vv58tfvol2md6
https://app.box.com/s/nfjyi8y50b1wzkfcs9id

and below are some of my pics. More pics are on the Kinnardukes.com website
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
That thing is SICK, Doc! Class from head to toe! Congrats!

It is a beauty Hodge and sounds great. I was so smitten with the photos on the website that I ordered one like it but without the slotted head stock.

Mitch

Stunning, just stunning. Congratulations.

What's it strung with? (I can't believe how balanced it sounds!)

Incredible in looks and sound. Love the slotted head, the binding, and the slotted bridge. Love the finish as well. The sound sample was very sweet and deep. It seems almost like I'm hearing harmonics/partials/overtones or something - the sound is so multi-layered and rich.

Thanks everyone for the nice comments. This uke really has the total package, looks, playability, and sound.

Stunning, just stunning. Congratulations.

What's it strung with? (I can't believe how balanced it sounds!)

It really is smooth and even. I believe it is strung using Worth CT with a wound Aquila low G.

Congrats Hodge. I figured it was only a matter of time before you took delivery on that beauty. Welcome to the club! Small, but exclusive.:)

Hey Doc

nice uke!

Congrats, that thing is freakin AWESOME! Sounds as good as it looks. Wow. :drool:

Hodge, it is spectacular in sound and looks. A super classy look and I think the headstock is wonderful. Congratulations!

Hodge, it is spectacular in sound and looks. A super classy look and I think the headstock is wonderful. Congratulations!

Thanks Craig. Being an artist in several media, John has a great eye for proportion, lines, and shapes that work cleanly together. This particular slotted headstock works so well with the overall design of this uke. I also like the rosewood fretboard with only side markers, it really fits the look of the instrument. I've been told, and observed in a few ukes, that the slightly larger mass of a slotted headstock, has a positive effect on the tone. I believe that is the case here. Yet, this tenor is still crazy light and well balanced. I feel very fortunate to play this uke.

Last edited:
I'm intrigued by what you talk about with headstock mass. That is something I've always questioned in ukulele design, though I suppose the devil is in the details and John Kinnard works those pretty well. :) And yes to the side markers! Again, congratulations Hodge.

Top Bottom