Are the craigslist scammers buying ukes?

d-mace

Reaction score
I just received this reply for a uke I'm selling on FMM....it's got all the same ingredients as the 100's of scam emails I've received on craigslist. The first email he sent was generic but bit asked a couple of related questions. Here it is:

"Thanks for the reply, i work with New Zealand Oil and Gas (NZOG) and we are presently offshore in New Zealand Taranaki Basin on kupe project, i am at sea right now so l wont be able to check the item ‏,am buying this for my dad as a surprise gift so am willing to offer you the amount you required. I can only pay through PayPal at the moment as i don't have access to my bank account online(i don't have internet banking with it), but i have it attached to my PayPal account, and this is why i insisted on using PayPal to pay. I have a pick up agent that will come for the pick up after payments has been sorted. l will be waiting for your reply asap

Regards.."

It does seem a little suspect, doesn't it. Is it possible to scam through paypal? Once you have the funds, how would they get them back? If they have a pick up agent, I sure wouldn't meet them at my home, but in a very public and heavily trafficked parking lot.

I've seen similar language in scam responses to Craigslist postings, including "I'm offshore," "I won't be able to check the item," "I'm willing to offer you the amount you require," and "I have a pickup agent." I can't figure out how he will manage the scam through Pay Pal, but I'd proceed with caution if I were you.

Wait, I just googled "Craigslist pick up agent," and got this. (I didn't take the time to read through it, but you might want to before you respond to this guy.)

Don't know how this scam works thru paypal but it is absolutely bs. I had my boat listed on cl. Guy said he was on an offshore oil rig and did not have online banking and was buying a boat for a surprise bday present for his dad (same kind of deal). Can't figure how you wind up getting hosed but I'm sure you do. I know it's less suspicious when buying a uke but no one buys a boat sight unseen.

I don't know about craigslist, but I prefer to pay using PayPal for many transactions. It saves me the hassle of going to the post office to get a money order and mailing it. Some people won't ship until the money order clears and that adds more time to the transaction. With PayPal I don't have to give out credit card info and the seller can see that the money is in their account almost instantly.
But things have to be simple. The story sounds a little convulted to trust ---- 'off shore' 'pick up agent' etc

Sounds like a scam to me.

I don't know about craigslist, but I prefer to pay using PayPal for many transactions. It saves me the hassle of going to the post office to get a money order and mailing it. Some people won't ship until the money order clears and that adds more time to the transaction. With PayPal I don't have to give out credit card info and the seller can see that the money is in their account almost instantly.
But things have to be simple. The story sounds a little convulted to trust ---- 'off shore' 'pick up agent' etc

While I have never dealt with it, I have heard paypal always favors the BUYER. So if they say, hey I never got it...paypal assumes they never got it and you, as the seller, need to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that they have the item for the money to be refunded. Even if you can prove it to their standards, it will take MONTHS for a resolution.

Be wary...especially as a seller.

Scam

I recieved the same b.s. in an email when I was selling an outrigger on Hawaii craigslist.Do not bother to even respond.

I was selling a wheelchair for a friend on Craigslist. Got a reply that they needed it for a gift then got another reply from a different address with the exact same words. Foolishly, I wrote back and really gave him the what for and he's going to Hell for trying to scam a wheelchair. Well... having been getting spam ever since with the same headline I sent the reply with. It was my fault for doing it and have learned. Got a reply for the same chair saying 4 guys were buying it for a homeless man with no legs. Didn't respond this time lol. If it's mentioned that its for a gift, be wary.

Wait for a legit buyer...

paypal protect you if you have a proof of the shipment, if they want a local pickup (this or other more legit buyer) ask they to add a text in the paypal payment message like "payment for local pickup" this is very important, some times i buy items and make a local pickup, whit that text in the payment the seller is covered because they dont need any shipping proof.

just in case.

I just received this reply for a uke I'm selling on FMM....it's got all the same ingredients as the 100's of scam emails I've received on craigslist. The first email he sent was generic but bit asked a couple of related questions. Here it is:

"Thanks for the reply, i work with New Zealand Oil and Gas (NZOG) and we are presently offshore in New Zealand Taranaki Basin on kupe project, i am at sea right now so l wont be able to check the item ‏,am buying this for my dad as a surprise gift so am willing to offer you the amount you required. I can only pay through PayPal at the moment as i don't have access to my bank account online(i don't have internet banking with it), but i have it attached to my PayPal account, and this is why i insisted on using PayPal to pay. I have a pick up agent that will come for the pick up after payments has been sorted. l will be waiting for your reply asap

Regards.."

I just received the exact same Email yesterday. I called them out but never received a reply I wonder if FMM is aware this is happing?

I wouldn't send it.
If the address on the paypal account doesn't match the address you send it to, paypal will take the money back regardless of any emails or proof of delivery.
I learned this the hard way.

I had a few similar emails before.

Problem with Paypal is that it isn't regulated by any monetary authority which is just plain bad news. For micro payments, I find it ok but I really try to move cash out of there when I can.

I find the best way to see if folks are legit is to ask for bank transfer. Alternatively, payza is also good and regulated!

Terence

I never read past where the "buyer" asks about "the item".

Just google the email address of a suspected scammer.
It will usually turn up in a list of scammers.

Just emailed his address and the first two results were for similar scams. Good idea about googling names...didn't think about that.

Lots of good selling advice. Thanks everyone for sharing your experience. As David said above, I too usually avoid emails when they ask about "the item". I totally missed it this time. I just havent encountered it from FMM. Here's his first email:
"Hi,

Q#1. How long have you owned it item?
Q#2. a) Have you owned it from new? b) If not how many previous owner?
Q#3.Why are you selling it?
Q#4. How much are you asking for it?
please i can only pay using Paypal."

Don't do it! I've sold lots of things on Craigslist. The way to tell if its a scam is they never want to come pick it up, they're always out of town doing something. And they always either copy and paste your adds description or say what he said "I won't be able to check the item" they never say "I won't be able to check the uke out" or something like that where he says what it is. Craigslist even warns you to not do out of state deals, that's what eBay is for. Just sell it to someone local and if that doesn't work try ebay or on the marketplace here.

In this day of computers, my suggestion is always tell the guy to call you. If he won't call, forget it, if he calls, have a chat about his passion for the Uke you are selling. It's so easy to hide behind an email, but as soon as you talk to the guy, you can tell a scammer. All you have to do is start asking him questions and the story just falls apart. Only my opinion but the personal touch is often the best at getting a gut sense if the guy is on the level.
Bill

Top Bottom