Strings coming out of bridge pin hole on Martin Tenor Uke?

Ukejungle

Reaction score
Just got an old Martin Tenor - had to buy some bridge pins for it from Stew Mac. They fit fine but stings keep sliding out of the bridge pin hole. Pins are nice and tight - they are not coming out. I tied a couple of knots in the stings to secure them from sliding through the pins.

Am I missing something? I have Worth Clear Strings on it. Is there a secret here? Thought maybe the strings are too thin. Don't think I need oversize bridge holes the holes look fine in the bridge.

I am new to the ukulele world so bear with me. Oh yea I got the bridge pins that are slotted. Don't know what Martin had on their originally. They might be the problem.

Thanks,
Trey

Last edited:
http://www.pohakuukulele.com/pages/t_knots.html. I make all my knots using this method for bridge pins. Works great. I have never had to make two knots as I can use a bead if I need to. The cross over technique is great as the knot will not come out. Also make sure you are not cutting your strings right up against the knot as the knot could be pulling loose. Leave a small tail as it won't affect anything. Small as in 1/8 inch at most. Just don't clip the string right up against the knot.

I use a bead over my string that sits on the knot so one knot is all I need. The bead is a small bead that is wider than the slot hole and there is no way for it to pop out or come undone under tension. Thus the bead is the sure bet.

I have never had strings too small to make knots without coming through the hole. Hope one of these works.

Cheers!

make the knots bigger and before you put the pins in, make sure they catch on to the groove in the hole...then put the bridge pin in

Just got an old Martin Tenor - had to buy some bridge pins for it from Stew Mac. They fit fine but stings keep sliding out of the bridge pin hole. Pins are nice and tight - they are not coming out. I tied a couple of knots in the stings to secure them from sliding through the pins.

Am I missing something? I have Worth Clear Strings on it. Is there a secret here? Thought maybe the strings are too thin. Don't think I need oversize bridge holes the holes look fine in the bridge.

I am new to the ukulele world so bear with me. Oh yea I got the bridge pins that are slotted. Don't know what Martin had on their originally. They might be the problem.

Thanks,
Trey

I put the pins in with the slots facing away from the strings. Works fine for my Martin tenors.

I put the pins in with the slots facing away from the strings. Works fine for my Martin tenors.

Yes...the vintage Martins have a slot in the bridge so if you try to put the string in the slot of the pins then the 2 slots makes the hole bigger than the string. All the above advices are excellent.

Top Bottom