Custom Ukes for a grand?

SnakeOiler

Reaction score
I think I'm goiong to be in the market for a custom Uke. There's so many makers. Any good suggestions for one for about $1000 or so? Or should I just get a Kamaka or a Pono? Too many choices, I hate shopping, even for the things I love. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
This guy builds some awesome Ukulele's I went to his shop a couple of weeks ago and played a couple Concerts and WOW very impressed even with my limited ability I could hear his ability as a builder. Very light in weight and huge in sound.
He seems to sell most of his stuff to Japan, I wish he built Sopranos but only Concerts and Tenors.

www.palmtreeukuleles.com

Can I ask a follow up question?

I know it must be a very touchy idea to ask people to step forward and vouch for one instrument maker over another… but perhaps we can get into a discussion of different ways master makers can excel?

I can see online how some makers excel at making their instruments look truly extraordinary with all sorts of different woods, and cuts and fancy decorations – but do the top line makers differ very much in terms of the quality and content of their sound?

Does MP have a certain special sound different from a Glyph that is very distinguishable from a DeSilva that everyone knows is shockingly different from a Loprinzi and don’t even get started on the super unique sound of a Peter?

Would a really trained ear (say MGM) be able to identify a maker in a blind sound test?

Or do the established top tier guys all pretty much just sound kind of generally awesome once you get past a certain price?

Would a really trained ear (say MGM) be able to identify a maker in a blind sound test?

Or do the established top tier guys all pretty much just sound kind of generally awesome once you get past a certain price?

Actually they start to pull apart in sound and playing style, for example I can play and strum far faster on my glyph then any other ukulele that I have. If it was recorded before 1940 its the goto instrument. Say I have play with a guitar as backup something like hula girl. Kanile'a no question in a tenor.

And for some funny reason, if I need to use a pickup and play really hard distorted song Ogata similar.

I think your question would be better answered in the Ukulele Builder/Luthier's Lounge section.

I can see online how some makers excel at making their instruments look truly extraordinary with all sorts of different woods, and cuts and fancy decorations – but do the top line makers differ very much in terms of the quality and content of their sound?

Does MP have a certain special sound different from a Glyph that is very distinguishable from a DeSilva that everyone knows is shockingly different from a Loprinzi and don’t even get started on the super unique sound of a Peter?

That's the main problem I'm having. How do I know which builder makes the Uke with the sound I like and want? It's impossible to play them all, so how do I decide?

That's the main problem I'm having. How do I know which builder makes the Uke with the sound I like and want? It's impossible to play them all, so how do I decide?

When I commissioned William King to build me a tenor, he asked what type of music I like to play. I sent him links to some videos of me playing ukulele and he built me pretty much exactly what I wanted in terms of sound. You can work with your luthier on getting what kind of sound you are looking for, being much more detailed than what I did. I think a highly skilled luthier such as William King should be able to make you very happy once you discuss with him/her what you're looking for.

Last edited:
ill second that choice.

I don't know his pricing, but I believe he charges more than 1K for a custom in most cases....

Go with MP. I have a soprano made by him that I feel connected to in the way I have never been to a musical instrument. For details on the construction, woods and such go HERE.

I am actually talking with him now about a tenor. :D

Depending on what you are looking for, you could also look into a bigger outfit. For example you could get a Kanile'a basic model then make some upgrades like inlays, radius fretboard, pickup, rosetta, binding or whatever. Depending on the size and upgrades you could probably get one for under a grand.

If you are looking to be very specific about everything probably go with a smaller outfit like MP. But I am guessing the more detail provided the more $$$. Also might check out Road Toad. There is also a woman named Lori that sells her ukes on ebay and FMM, I have see her ad that says she will build what you want, and from what I have seen she sells at pretty reasonable prices.

Does he make regular ones or just electric?

he makes both. I would talk to him. It really depends on what you want done to the uke, that will decipher the pricing. as for quality and sound, he is dead on. he also has great wood available, and all of his ukes sound great.

he makes both. I would talk to him. It really depends on what you want done to the uke, that will decipher the pricing. as for quality and sound, he is dead on. he also has great wood available, and all of his ukes sound great.

Do you own a Howlett uke?

Depending on what you are looking for, you could also look into a bigger outfit. For example you could get a Kanile'a basic model then make some upgrades like inlays, radius fretboard, pickup, rosetta, binding or whatever. Depending on the size and upgrades you could probably get one for under a grand.

I would say that is a impossibility under 1K, once you go custom pricing really does start to change a lot with really any of the larger outfits.

I have been looking at a basic Kamaka Tenor, which sounds great and is about a grand. But that's my dilemma. Do I go with that or since I'm spending what, to me anyway, is a ton of money, do I opt for the custom?

I would say that is a impossibility under 1K, once you go custom pricing really does start to change a lot with really any of the larger outfits.

It would be tough but that why I said depending on what you want. Get a K-1 sop. ($500-$600) add a radius fretboard ($125) add a passive pickup ($185). Technically custom and under a grand. It wouldn't be all blinged out but still custom. I do agree it will be tough to get it under a grand.

I have been looking at a basic Kamaka Tenor, which sounds great and is about a grand. But that's my dilemma. Do I go with that or since I'm spending what, to me anyway, is a ton of money, do I opt for the custom?

I hear that buddy, I am also about to drop a nice amount of change on a uke and have been looking around for months to try and make sure I get something I really want.

Top Bottom