Low G on Koa Pili Koko or Asmus (KPK clone) uke?

insula

Reaction score
Buenos días-I'm thinking of buying either a KPK or Asmus (which looks to be from the same factory under another distributor's name and w/ a slightly different headstock) tenor. I am tenor-deprived - have a nice solid-wood Chinese-made concert, a good soprano (favilla) and a beater/beach soprano - and am looking to string the thing w/low-G. I don't have a lot of $ to spend (and if I don't like the tenor I don't want to b out big bucks), so thought one of these ukes would be a good option. What do y'all think? Do these sound nice w/low-G tuning? (It's hard to bite the bullet, am trying mightily to resist UAS).

Mahalo/Gracias

Buenos días-I'm thinking of buying either a KPK or Asmus (which looks to be from the same factory under another distributor's name and w/ a slightly different headstock) tenor. I am tenor-deprived - have a nice solid-wood Chinese-made concert, a good soprano (favilla) and a beater/beach soprano - and am looking to string the thing w/low-G. I don't have a lot of $ to spend (and if I don't like the tenor I don't want to b out big bucks), so thought one of these ukes would be a good option. What do y'all think? Do these sound nice w/low-G tuning? (It's hard to bite the bullet, am trying mightily to resist UAS).

Mahalo/Gracias

Hello there. I have a KPK tenor with the low G and it sounds wonderful. They come with Worth clear strings. I messaged him and asked for the low G. He also put the high G string in the shipment if I decided I wanted the high G instead. It is a beautiful instrument, great tone and sustain, and the price was wonderful. The setup and action are wonderful as well. Also, dealing with KPK was great. Whenever I emailed a question, he was quick to reply with lots of details. My KPK tenor is the deluxe version with the bone nut and saddle. The acacia wood is beautiful.

I have a KPK concert and it's fantastic. Great value, woody ringing tone, lots of sustain, and gorgeous. No flaws I can see. I'll have to check out those Asmus. Just checked them out....gorgeous. I'll bet a few folks who don't like KPK's headstock will jump on these. I don't see how you could go wrong at this price. Lots of lesser all or part laminates cost more than these.

Last edited:
I have my KPK tenor strung with a Living Waters low G and it sounds wonderful!

New Asmus Concert solid Sapele at Amazon...$79.00. Looks real pretty.

Can anyone comment on this brand vs the KPK?

Appears to be the same instruments with different headstock designs. The acacia concert on YouTube sounds like my KPK concert. I have verified that the Asmus also has bone nuts and saddles.

Appears to be the same instruments with different headstock designs. The acacia concert on YouTube sounds like my KPK concert. I have verified that the Asmus also has bone nuts and saddles.

Great Phil...based on your recommendation, why don't I just get one and we'll do a little comparison?

I just bought a KPK deluxe tenor (three more days to get here) and during messaging with Joshua, KPK HMFIC, KPK has licensed their instruments to other distributors. His basic statement to me was that Asmus ukes ARE KPK ukes with different head stocks.

I just bought a KPK deluxe tenor (three more days to get here) and during messaging with Joshua, KPK HMFIC, KPK has licensed their instruments to other distributors. His basic statement to me was that Asmus ukes ARE KPK ukes with different head stocks.

Good to know, thanks!

Top Bottom