Mother of toilet seat

fernandogardinali

Reaction score
Has anyone ever used those MOP sheets as a headstock veneer or fretboard material?

I'm primarily interested in it as a headstock veneer for the new 8-string neck of my Republic resonator. The fretboard looks killer, but I'm not sure about the feel of it, since I never played an instrument like that.

What kind of material would you recommend? Drum MOP wrap?

Thanks

I was tempted by a MoTS fretboard and looked into drum wraps. Vintage drums were wrapped as thick as 0.5mm, modern drums half to a quarter of that. Might work for headstock, but no good for fingerboards.

If anyone knows where to find MoTS in fretboard thicknesses we could make some snazzy ukes.

I've been thinking about MOT since downloading Del Rey's Blue Uke from Homespun. I've covered some drums, and I wouldn't use it for fingerboards. But sheets of pickguard material for electric guitars should work. Its thick enough to offer stiffness if laminated with wood, but the MOT pattern itself probably isn't any thicker. But it would take a lot of playing to wear through it. Plus, the material comes in a lot of snazzy patterns and colors you probably haven't seen Look it up on Allparts and similar sites. It feels slicker than wood, players should like it.

Top Bottom