Nud:^)

Lumpy Wafflesquirt

Reaction score
I suppose it was really yesterday, but I bought it then and for complicated reasons I was unable to get it out till tonight.
I bought a Tanglewood TU6 in the natural colour.

Tuning was interesting for a noobie. I had seen sommewhere to tune the C string to the lowest C on the tuner which I did. :^( mistake it just didn't seem to soudn right. :^(
When I compared it to an online tuner I realised that I had tuned it an octave too low. I have now brought it up an octave [the whole uke] and it sounds much better.
Being completely new to stringed instruments it is all new to me, but I can just about manage C, F and G7 for a 12 bar progression :^))

my fingers now hurt :^(

Welcome to UU pal :)

I'm now developing a migraine from thinking about all my US friends on here pronouncing Hereford as "Here-Ford"

Welcome to UU! Get used to the finger pain. It doesn't go away for a long time.

So, how does one pronounce Hereford?

Every time (well, not every time, obviously) I go to the USA, I try to educate my friends and explain that the "shire" in Yorkshire and Derbyshire (where I'm from...and all the other shires as well) is pronounced "shuh" not "shyer".

This usually works out fine until someone asks if the Hobbits lived in "The Shuh"

I was going to guess Herferd... oh well. Around here Blount is pronounced Blunt and anythingville is pronounced anthinvul.

And welcome to UU. This is a great place. Congrats on your new uke, sore fingers and learning three chords!

Congrats! sounds like you're really enjoying it,and so is everyone here!

Every time (well, not every time, obviously) I go to the USA, I try to educate my friends and explain that the "shire" in Yorkshire and Derbyshire (where I'm from...and all the other shires as well) is pronounced "shuh" not "shyer".

This usually works out fine until someone asks if the Hobbits lived in "The Shuh"

I think this depends on which part of the country you're from.
Yorkshire, Derbyshire, Lancashire and Lincolnshire would pronounce it Shuh but farther south they pronounce it as either shyer (if I'm hearing that right) or sheer.
I remember a story about Bill Hicks (the comedian) at the Edinburgh festival, his manager insisted on pronouncing it Eddinburg (instead of Eddinburrah!)

And it's pronounced Herafud!:p

Here's my first Ukelele recording :D.
I multitracked the harmonica on afterwards in Audacity and then added the pictures.

Theres C, C7, F, and G7. I'm quite pleased with it considering that 3 days before recording it I had never touched a Ukelele.

http://youtu.be/wbzC8HE3YLo

Last edited:
Top Bottom