Uke Sounds better

Koka

Reaction score
Hi All,

So I searched but did not find an answer.... to

Why does my Uke sound better as time goes on.

People say they open up, but what is a simple explanation to this please???

Mahalos

Koka:shaka:

Wood has a long memory. It takes time for it to forget it is a tree and learn how to be a ukulele. :D

Wood has a long memory. It takes time for it to forget it is a tree and learn how to be a ukulele. :D

This is the nicest one I have heard:)

I don't think there is a simple explanation. Here's a lot of factors that may make a uke sound better:

- wood opens up
- you become a better player
- you tailor your playing and song choice to get the most out of the uke
- you get better strings on the uke
- the strings break in
- you choose strings that sound better with that uke.
- all of the above
- none of the above

I suspect that for me the becoming a better player and learning to get the most of the instrument is huge, string choice is medium and the other factors are small compared to the amount of improvement I need (when you've got a low baseline it is easy to double your skills)

I agree with PTOEguy. There are many factors. This subject is popular in the guitar and violin world as well. Strangely, clarinet players do not talk about this process (the best clarinets are solid wood). I also found a thread on a classical guitar site that delves a bit into this. Here it is.

I had the best clarinet luthier in the known world today work on my instrument and the first thing he did was ream it out. I cringed and almost cried, as I saw the dust from the bore of my clarinet falling out onto the table. He said that, over the years, the bore gets smaller as the wood changes and expands. This can affect tone and intonation, along with other variables.

I said that aiming at this, I wonder if there have been any studies about what exactly happens to the wood as the ukulele ages. The wood and the oils, moisture, cell structure - all of that changes over the years. The mahogany used to make a Martin ukulele 60 years ago. What happened to the remnants of the tree that was chopped down. It rotted away in the forest. So, a luthier takes that wood, prepares it and turns it into a work of art, but that living tree is still chopped down and the wood is still undergoing a process, right?

I'm rambling, sorry.

I love this! How clever....ukulele people are the smartest!!!

Basically the wood breaks in. As you play it, the flexing of the wood as it vibrates losens it up, so the bottom end of the sound warms up. As the wood continues to age and flex there are microscopic changes to the wood to make the sound brighter. All of these changes occur as you play. But you can also make some of them happen by just setting the uke next to a speaker and play music to it. The vibrations help open it up.

But if you warm it up by playing it constantly the sound also improves because you get more skilled. I was giving guidance to a friend's child on guitar. I emphasized that before you can get good at an instrument you have to play your first half a million bad notes. The more you play, the faster you get those out of your system.

Well I have had a Martin S-1 for just over a month and I can certainly vouch for it sounding sweeter and there has not been time for my playing to improve in that period. I'm absolutely convinced it is the Uke "opening up". I don't know what or how but I do know for sure that it has improved in sound quality substantially.

But if you warm it up by playing it constantly the sound also improves because you get more skilled. I was giving guidance to a friend's child on guitar. I emphasized that before you can get good at an instrument you have to play your first half a million bad notes. The more you play, the faster you get those out of your system.

I love this quote. Well I must be up to a quarter of a million bad notes so I'm getting there. ;-)

I just found "Ukulele Thursdays: Episode 37" where Jake Shimabukuro had just received a brand new, custom made Uke. He spends a lot of time discussing how the instrument has changed just since he got it and will change over time. Here is the URL:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMxgdR_GWBQ

Well I have had a Martin S-1 for just over a month and I can certainly vouch for it sounding sweeter and there has not been time for my playing to improve in that period. I'm absolutely convinced it is the Uke "opening up". I don't know what or how but I do know for sure that it has improved in sound quality substantially.

Sorry, it will not open up in a month, or even a few years. I've heard it takes a couple of decades.

Mahalos,

All.

Very interesting, I may be getting a little better, but I do think the sound comes from the Uke. so I will go with the Uke getting better at being a Ukulele rather than a Koa Tree.

Mahalo,

Koka:shaka:

Attachments

• IMG_3126.jpg
    IMG_3126.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 3
I agree with PTOEguy. There are many factors. This subject is popular in the guitar and violin world as well. Strangely, clarinet players do not talk about this process (the best clarinets are solid wood). I also found a thread on a classical guitar site that delves a bit into this. Here it is.

I had the best clarinet luthier in the known world today work on my instrument and the first thing he did was ream it out. I cringed and almost cried, as I saw the dust from the bore of my clarinet falling out onto the table. He said that, over the years, the bore gets smaller as the wood changes and expands. This can affect tone and intonation, along with other variables.

I said that aiming at this, I wonder if there have been any studies about what exactly happens to the wood as the ukulele ages. The wood and the oils, moisture, cell structure - all of that changes over the years. The mahogany used to make a Martin ukulele 60 years ago. What happened to the remnants of the tree that was chopped down. It rotted away in the forest. So, a luthier takes that wood, prepares it and turns it into a work of art, but that living tree is still chopped down and the wood is still undergoing a process, right?

I'm rambling, sorry.

I agree with all above except for the one post that strings improve over time. In my experience, new strings will provide the best response and performance and degrade over time, however strings will make a huge difference in the sound of the uke, can improve sustain using wound vs. unwound strings, improve clarity of notes, and using various materials for the strings (nylon v. flurocarbon v. aquila etc) will definitely achieve their own unique and individual results.

I do believe great wood used by builders on ukes that are built incredibly well will have an enriched sound over time. Something that requires many years to happen, but can be noticed when the ukes are played frequently. They say they "opened up". I have an 80 year old + Martin 2M that is incredible sounding, super rich, lots of lows, strong mids and it's a soprano but almost sounds like a concert. Nothing new from Martin I have played or other ukes even comes close to the sound on this uke, nor the wood which is unlike any Mohagany I have seen today (because the 80-100 year old logs they used are long gone today).

I also agree as you become more experienced and play with dynamics, especially finger style playing, you can make a uke sound amazing. Put any decent uke with old or new wood in the hands of a master like Kimo Hussey, Daniel Ho, etc. and they can make it sound amazing, thus playing with emotion creates something you cannot achieve with mere wood alone (opened up or not).

Just my .02

Cheers!

Top Bottom