Hilo strings

BIGDB

Reaction score
Hello, I wanted to know everyone's opinion on Hilo strings. I'm looking at the black high G ones in particular. I'm asking because i haven't heard to much about them compared to worth strings, d'addario and a few others. The only player I've seen use them is James hill and I like how they sound and look on his uke so I wanted to try them. So what do you all think about them?

Thanks

Chuck sent me my Moore Bettah with a Hilo wound low G and I thought it blended well with Worth heavy gage fluoros. That's my only real experience with Hilo strings, but it was positive.

many ukes discount them...they are thinner and offer comfort and playability....of course now you have other uke strings of the same guage and just as good or better
Hilo strings is old school, I prefer them on some of my ukes but not all.....only way to know if you try them on your uke....Happy strummings

I'll have to ask James about that. He can make anything sound good. But I want to say he's got something clear on his new DeSilvas.

IMO: They work in a pinch, but I never found Hilos inspiring as far as tone goes. As soon as I found out there were other brands I never went back. They are really light, and with a muddy tone to begin with, they just don't have the snap to make up for it. The low-gs always sounded okay, but only lasted a week or two before they started to literally fall apart in my experience.

...of course now you have other uke strings of the same guage and just as good or better

...Mainly this.

Reviving this thread from a couple of months ago because I discovered, much to my surprise, that I like Hilo high G with wound C - on my Maui Music Koa tenor. It came with them and I immediately removed them and have tried Allohis (very nice), Fremont Blacks (no good on this uke), Savarez (ok, but not stellar) and Worths (uh,uh) - so after trying all of those I put the Hilos back on and Wow - it's like the uke was made for them (or Vice Versa). I don't know that I would like them on any of my other ukes, but on this one - excellent.

Duk

Last edited:
I had Hilo low g's on my Cordoba tenor...sounded mellow and sweet. Nice sustain. I bought a set for my Kala solid mahogany tenor but haven't installed them yet. It is one of my "blues ukes."

I had hilos on a fluke I had for a short while. I wasn't too impressed, they felt sort of sticky and soft to me. Or gummy.

Top Bottom