@#$@#$% it, string mistake again

garyg

Reaction score
For about the 10th time I managed to clip a string while putting it on, without leaving enough for the tuner to grab. This made me wonder if there was anywhere online where you could buy individual strings rather than spring for a whole set. I like Fremont, Worth and Orca strings. TIA, g2

Are you trimming the string to length before tightening?

Not trying to be snarky, but the mistake isn't my question, the question is "does anyone sell individual strings" TIA, g2

For about the 10th time I managed to clip a string while putting it on, without leaving enough for the tuner to grab. This made me wonder if there was anywhere online where you could buy individual strings rather than spring for a whole set. I like Fremont, Worth and Orca strings. TIA, g2

:confused: Isn't trimming the string the *last* thing you normally do?
...but to answer your question, unless it is a Low G, there is no real cost effective way to replace a single string.

Juststrings.com sells single strings. Decide for yourself whether it's cost effective or not.

Full sets are usually only 5 - 15 dollars depending on the brand. You could always just buy the full sets and stock up on the spare strings you get from the sets. Atleast then, when you break the strings on the ukulele, you'll have spare singles.

You could get some Seaguar fishing line/leader.

PTOEguy, I'm sure u weren't trying to be a know it all, if I was doing something repeatedly (10+xs) that was resulting in a problem, I would want someone to point out what I might be doing wrong (putting on the strings) that was creating the problem rather than just solving the problem created ( getting a single string). Actually it would be nice to know both. Btw I just put new strings on my tenor and cut one a little short ( thought I had left plenty, didn't want the extra flopping around while I was winding it...loops) thanx for the tip. I will wait to clip next time

When you post something as puzzling as "managed to clip a string without enough for the tuner", and then expect no one to wonder why such an odd thing would be happening (for the 10th time??), one should expect people to ask how that's happening. Then a snippy reply when their natural curiosity arises, instead of just a simple answer. I'm surprised you got any answers at all, but perhaps a bit more civility may get you more useful replies.

If it's "none of their business", why give the explanation to begin with? Why not just say "does anyone know where to buy single strings"?

Perhaps the " mistake should be your ? " then you would not need the single strings...
Figure out the problem- buy one more pack- re-string- get back to playing...

Buy in bulk? Elderly usually has free shipping if over $50.

Albert Einstein once said:
"To recognize the problem is more important than recognizing the solution, because exact description of the problem leads to the solution."

People often tend to cure symptoms rather than solving the underlying problems...

You could get some Seaguar fishing line/leader.

Now there's a good solution Doc, I know historically there have been multiple threads on the diameters for various strings, etc. Do you use that Seaguar and does it sound close to any "brand" string? And for those of you who really think I did this 10 times, posh, internet boards aren't literal places. cheers, g2

Just save the strings that are too short, and when you get 2, tie them together. Then clip that to size before putting it on the uke. If it's too short again, just tie another piece on. Knots improve the tone and add volume, and work as a reference point if playing in the dark.

Put me in the group that doesn't understand how this happens once, let alone repeatedly. I always string the uke, then clip the string once it has been around the tuning peg a time or two. Yes, even on sets that are 2 sets, like Worth, this method works perfectly. I have never even considered clipping a string before stringing the uke.

Last edited:
I keep trying to remember not to feed the trolls.

I know that stringsbymail.com is able to sell certain brands as singles - Savarez for sure. I order custom sets from them to match the Collings set my tenor uke came with - you have to do it that way because Collings does (orders their uke sets custom). So SBM will sell you any diameter that Savarez has available. Other brands may or may not provide that option. Aquila does not (other than low G's) - I know this because I wanted a smaller diameter C string in a tenor set and they "couldn't" do it. I seems like there is a market for custom sets and individual strings, but maybe it isn't a large enough market for many string manufacturers and set compilers to be worthwhile. Savarez offers custom guitar sets too - so they seem to be geared up for that market already.

Duk

Top Bottom