Mobius Strap Questions and Answers

Tim Mullins

Reaction score
Hi All,

It's been nine months since I started making the Mobius Strap! There have been some small refinements and lots of learning about running a small business. Thanks to all who have been supportive in your comments and suggestions and especially to those who liked the idea enough to buy one!

It's still such an new concept as opposed to traditional straps that I thought some people might have questions about how it works in general, if it would work on a particular ukulele or how it compares to the other alternatives. So here's your chance! Ask away!

Best,

Tim M

OK. I'll bite...

Isn't there a tendency over time for the strap wrapped around the body of the instrument to wear through the finish, especially on the edges of the uke?

OK. I'll bite...

Isn't there a tendency over time for the strap wrapped around the body of the instrument to wear through the finish, especially on the edges of the uke?

Hi Jim,

Good question!

A traditional guitar-style strap also folds over the edge of the body of the instrument. However much wear this would produce over time would be about the same with my strap. The Mobius Strap doesn't slide around the body of the ukulele when in use, so there shouldn't be any excessive friction there, and they're made of soft polypropylene webbing, the same material used in most other instrument straps.

My experience with my own Martin tenor and, more recently with my Kamaka HF-2L, is that there is no visible wear after nine months use.

Best,

Tim

I like mine but wish it was yellow sometimes. Being black I've misplaced it in certain piles at times but that's me. Or maybe flowers on it, peace symbols, palm trees, old splitty vw buses etc...... ( you know add a little color to it)

Great strap all in all.
Trey

I got a Mobius because our jam group had a gig where I was supposed to stand, and I have trouble hanging onto my tenor uke whilst standing. Well, no problem strumming, but fingerpicking, yeah. This did the trick just fine. I don't need it for sitting, and that's just as well, it doesn't offer much support sitting, given the angle I hold the instrument. (No surprise, I found that spoken to when I did basic research before I got it. If your lap is doing the job, you probably don't need a strap anyhow.)

If you don't want to put buttons on your ook, this is the best solution for a strap I've found. (I'd be curious to see it in a bigger configuration for my classical guitar. Make it wider, put a pad where it rests on the neck? Might be just the thing.)

Steve

Do you think you'll ever make them in different colors? Maybe in my signature color sherwood green?

My wife agrees with you! Right now I don't have any plans for other colors, black goes with anything! Black is easier to make and I don't have to keep as much different stock. Maybe someday when we open the Mobius Strap Works with a workforce of hundreds!

I got a Mobius because our jam group had a gig where I was supposed to stand, and I have trouble hanging onto my tenor uke whilst standing. Well, no problem strumming, but fingerpicking, yeah. This did the trick just fine. I don't need it for sitting, and that's just as well, it doesn't offer much support sitting, given the angle I hold the instrument. (No surprise, I found that spoken to when I did basic research before I got it. If your lap is doing the job, you probably don't need a strap anyhow.)

If you don't want to put buttons on your ook, this is the best solution for a strap I've found. (I'd be curious to see it in a bigger configuration for my classical guitar. Make it wider, put a pad where it rests on the neck? Might be just the thing.)

Steve

Trey and Steve: Thanks for the kind words.

Steve, my super-talented friend David West has used a standard width Mobius Strap (but six inches longer) on his prewar Martin 0-17. He didn't want to add a strap button to the neck heel and doesn't care for straps that attach to the peghead. He's my first endorsing artist! Check him out at www.davidwest.com.

Best,

Tim

Top Bottom