NUD: Black Bear macadamia soprano

whepper

Reaction score
Hi all!

NUD today (actually 2 days ago, but I couldn't stop playing). I received a Black Bear macadamia soprano and what a beautiful ukulele that is. Just wow. Macadamia is an amazing wood to look at. It looks different from every angle and light source.

Specs: macadamia body, rosewood bridge and fingerboard, 15 frets (13 + 2 on the body), cream coloured Grover friction tuners, mango neck, fret markers on 5th 7th and 10th fret (also side markers).

The Black Bear will complement my Ken Timms S0. It sounds very different compared to the Timms. The uke sounds really warm. It came with Worth Browns, so this will probably attribute to it.

It has a slightly thicker neck than the Timms or a Martin S0, which I actually like. The body is the same size, except it is ticker (looking for a proper case now). It also weights a little more than a Timms or Martin.

The sound? Warm, warm, warm and great sustain. So sweet. Really nice mids and also a great deal of low for a soprano. The volume is good, but the Timms is louder and more crispy (highs). I love both and I'm glad they sound different.

My reasons to buy this uke? I've had interest in Black Bear ukes for a long time now. I love the look of the headstock (shape) and the Back Bear logo. Also no bling on his ukes. I also love macadamia wood. I think Duane is the only luthier using it at this moment. Macadamia is a wood that (what I've read) needs time to season. It can be quite unstable just after it is cut down. I've read other posts of Duane on this forum where he mentions the wood is in his possession for 25 years and it was already 15 years old when he bought it. I also read that he had a limited amount of it left. Macadamia looks (grain wise) more like mango than koa.

I've purchased this uke directly from Duane and this one has not been posted on UU or FMM marketplace.

I realise I got a super nice collection of ukes now from respected luthiers who are active members of the UU community. :D

Duane's pics:
Mac Uke 2013-8-29c.jpg Mac Uke 2013-8-29a.jpg Mac Uke 2013-8-29b.jpg

Congrats! Beautiful uke and quite the collection! Impressive!

Holy wow...that is beautiful. Can't wait to hear her.

Congrats, whepper.

Take care,

Casey

Congrats...

Congrats, whepper.

That's a beauty, even by BB standards -- maybe it's just the light in the pics, but the bridge and fretboard look darker than what Duane usually uses. Anyway, it makes for a great contrast.

Congrats on your new black bear and a very nice collection of ukes from the best luthiers..happy Strummings..

Thanks all!

That's a beauty, even by BB standards -- maybe it's just the light in the pics, but the bridge and fretboard look darker than what Duane usually uses. Anyway, it makes for a great contrast.

I also noticed that the fretboard and bridge are darker on this one.

A real beaut. The wood is lovely and looks like it is glowing from within.

It's lovely brother, congratulations. And also that is quite some collection you have now, very special. I think we have similar tastes!

I am sure I speak for many when I say that I would love to hear all four played one after another in a youtube video.

It continues to amaze me how similar are tastes are in ukuleles.

It continues to amaze me how similar are tastes are in ukuleles.

It seems so! :D

As far as 'opening up'; this soprano is getting better by the day.

And yes.. I should prepare for my 1st YouTube video or otherwise just another SoundCloud comparison. :D All my ukes have their own character. We're lucky with such great luthiers on this forum with prices that keep the ukuleles accessible for the crowd.

very pretty!!! it looks kinda like mahogany....but redder....makes me want a soprano!

Top Bottom