PDA

View Full Version : Season 84 of the Ukulele™ - Put Your Best Foot Forward

23skidoo
09-21-2013, 04:25 PM
Howdy Seasonistas!

Between a hectic schedule and working on the Seasonista anthem, I haven't had much of a chance to participate lately, but I'm looking forward to hosting this week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71Frj2jm7f4

One of the great things about the Seasons, I think, is the variety of themes we encounter from week to week and the constant exposure to new material this variety provides. As someone who has been playing music for many years, I always try to challenge myself to learn a new song whenever I participate, but I think my finest performances in the Seasons have always been tunes that I’ve known and played for years. This is a natural advantage for the more seasoned Seasonistas among us – a deeper pool of tunes to draw from, regardless of the theme each week.

In an effort to level the playing field a bit, I challenge each Seasonista to show us what they’ve got and put their best foot forward. I would like to hear what you consider your strongest performance. There are really no rules regarding format or content – just do what you feel you do best.

I realize this is still giving an advantage to the more experienced players who participate, but I also think it will allow newer players to show us their best – something they aren’t necessarily able to do week to week when they have to prepare new material within a relatively limited timeframe.

This Season will not be judged. The prizes – which are still in the works and will be announced soon – will be awarded through an extremely entertaining random process involving the Skidoolettes.

As I said – no real rules involving content or format – just make sure it is, at heart, an ukulele video. As usual, please make sure it’s a new clip and reference the 84th Season during the video.

I’m going to ask that we don’t post any bonuses this week. This Season is about focusing on your strongest material and getting the best performance recorded that you can. I want to highlight each individual and each performance. Please try to post only one video. If you end up posting more than one, your last video posted will be considered your entry.

Please don’t post any videos until after the end of the current Season.

Submissions are due by Sunday, September 29, 12:00 am HAST.

PLAYLIST (http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLtQpGhkyGFw3BQRKLWM7bERwiQF4wCmn-)

ukuLily Mars
09-21-2013, 04:37 PM
Holy cats! I've been working like mad and haven't checked in here for a few days, and I just thought I would stop by and see what's up, and... umm... did you know it's Saturday? Because apparently I didn't. I was completely shocked that there was a new Season posted.

My point, such as it is, is that this is a really cool theme! And there will be Skidoolettes!!! This'll be fun.

glass
09-21-2013, 06:06 PM
Sweet season!!!!!!!!

bird's eye view of my ukelele
09-21-2013, 06:11 PM
Between a hectic schedule and working on the Seasonista anthem, I haven't had much of a chance to participate lately...
i cannot IMAGINE how much work doing all the techie stuff for the anthem must be. well i can imagine... but just imagining makes me wanna go lie down in a darkened room and listen to whale music and be soothed... so... just wanna say :bowdown: for doing all that work for us

Dan Uke
09-21-2013, 07:50 PM
Bill, your band mate, Alan's gonna have a tough time not posting bonuses. I bet he's glad he started the other thread. hahaha

mythinformed
09-22-2013, 12:03 AM
Excellent theme !!

The one problem I've got is that I can think of a million and one faults with toons that I perform in an instant but find it much harder to see my strengths or what i consider to be my best eeeeeek !!

(Any crafty pointers via my mail box, greatly appreciated);)

UkeyDave
09-22-2013, 07:03 AM
Great theme Bill. This got me thinking and like mythinformed I find it hard to know what my best foot is. (It could be a Brit thing I'm not sure). Anyway, this got me looking at my youtube hits and thinking that perhaps I'd choose the song I had most views for. This gave me a surprise as I wouldn't have guessed. Whether that is my best I don't know but thought it would be worth re-doing the song because I feel I can now do it in a more suitable key for my voice so I think that is my approach for this one. Thanks for a really interesting theme. It should be a great week.

GinnyT11
09-22-2013, 07:10 AM
This is a very good challenge, Bill. You've got people thinking.

It's likely most entries will come later in the week because you've asked us for the one song we think we do best. The one song we'd go on American Idol with. The one song we'd run as a gif on our tombstones (well, maybe not that). Hmmm...

Dougf
09-22-2013, 08:51 AM
Putting my best foot forward with one of my originals, a song that is also sort of about putting your best foot forward.

http://youtu.be/yzVB4h1JANM

Tootler
09-22-2013, 09:27 AM
Bill, your band mate, Alan's gonna have a tough time not posting bonuses. I bet he's glad he started the other thread. hahaha

Not just Alan. There are one or two other serial posters on the seasons, naming no names. :worship: :smileybounce:

rem50
09-22-2013, 12:55 PM
Dougf, I always enjoy your songs. I especially enjoy where you record them! Your backgrounds are great!
Putting my best foot forward with one of my originals, a song that is also sort of about putting your best foot forward.

http://youtu.be/yzVB4h1JANM

09-22-2013, 05:41 PM
the one song we think we do best. The one song we'd go on American Idol with. The one song we'd run as a gif on our tombstones (well, maybe not that). Hmmm...
lol!

hold on...

the site won't let me just post "lol!"

:mad:

like a three letter response isn't profound enough or something

:mad:

Tootler
09-22-2013, 06:16 PM
...The one song we'd go on American Idol with.

Or over here Britain's Got Talent!

Perish the thought!!!

(Can't add smilies on the mobile site)

peewee
09-22-2013, 06:35 PM
Hmm
What if the thing we've gotten good at after multiple weeks of Seasoning is choosing an interesting and challenging song, finding/working out a workable arrangement, and muddling through it within a limited time frame??
Oh Dear :-)

greenie44
09-22-2013, 08:05 PM
I am out of town this week until Friday, and I thought I would let this one slip by. But got to thinking, and I'm working on what is definitely my most ambitious video ever, by a long shot. I can even do some of the time consuming production work on the road. Hope I get it done - it might just be fun.

xommen
09-22-2013, 10:20 PM
Although I think Ginny is right that most entries will be later in the week,but I got this done yesterday, as I normally record the new week on Sunday. I think this is the second attempt and I think the many recordings don't make a better one rule is a good one. I recorded a multitrack version of this before, but audio only, as it did not fit the season at that time. It has been reasonably popular on soundcloud and I really love this song. I guess my most improved skill in the season to me, is my singing, and I believe it to be where I put my best foot forward in this song: Simply Red - Holding back the years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tfM_wuMc9c
Anybody that is interested in the soundcloud version it's here:
https://soundcloud.com/wvommen/simply-red-holding-back-the

redpaul1
09-22-2013, 11:06 PM
Great theme Bill. This got me thinking and like mythinformed I find it hard to know what my best foot is. (It could be a Brit thing I'm not sure). Anyway, this got me looking at my youtube hits and thinking that perhaps I'd choose the song I had most views for.

In that case, I'll be reprising my tutorial on how to play the riff to 'Echo Beach'! :)

Phooto
09-23-2013, 12:04 AM
In that case, I'll be reprising my tutorial on how to play the riff to 'Echo Beach'! :)
Still tripping over my fingers on that one. :o

pabrizzer
09-23-2013, 03:35 AM
Had great plans of a picture in picture video or split screen video. Turns out my version of iMovie won't do that.
So you're stuck with a little of the uke hand video at the start and then my boof head singing for the rest. I had hoped that they would both be on the screen at once.
I did use garage band and there are just 2 tracks - one vocal one ukulele. Both one takes BTW.
I think this kind of short song is my strong suit but usually just a quick one take one track go at it. The video stuff is not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8uI1iKLR_s

UkeyDave
09-23-2013, 04:18 AM

Perhaps in that case if you play the whole song instead of the riff well....... I'm thinking MEGA STARDOM Paul. ;-)

Dougf
09-23-2013, 04:30 AM
Dougf, I always enjoy your songs. I especially enjoy where you record them! Your backgrounds are great!

Thanks, Dean. That little shed is where I set up my uke building workshop. The uke I'm playing was born there.

redpaul1
09-23-2013, 08:06 AM
Perhaps in that case if you play the whole song instead of the riff well....... I'm thinking MEGA STARDOM Paul. ;-)
I already have, Dave. Of course, I have every confidence in your powers of prediction, but it looks like this one's going to be a bit of a slow burner: 18 hits so far ;)

Hope I can sneak this one under the wire (it's been a very busy week). If not, no worries

http://youtu.be/Td8xMg-TBmg

p.s. Bill, 23skidoo - this is not an entry. It's a quote!

wee_ginga_yin
09-23-2013, 09:33 AM
Had great plans of a picture in picture video or split screen video. Turns out my version of iMovie won't do that.
So you're stuck with a little of the uke hand video at the start and then my boof head singing for the rest. I had hoped that they would both be on the screen at once.
I did use garage band and there are just 2 tracks - one vocal one ukulele. Both one takes BTW.
I think this kind of short song is my strong suit but usually just a quick one take one track go at it. The video stuff is not.

That was just deliciously twisted Uke... a distorted delay and chorus... feels like I have finally found a brother :-)

pabrizzer
09-23-2013, 12:48 PM
That was just deliciously twisted Uke... a distorted delay and chorus... feels like I have finally found a brother :-)

Thanks :) but certainly not in the video editing skills department :(. Not got my head around that at all.
Seasick Steve usually has the effects pretty full on. He also does some beautiful low tech stuff.
I really like his work and recommend that those not familiar with him check him out.

southside mike
09-23-2013, 01:58 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3D8X1Ji8q7s
It tends to make you more careful when you are told to submit your best effort. My best efforts usually come in bits, not full songs. For me, when my left hand works the way that I like it to there is a sort of "chuga-chuga" type of beat going on that I like. In bit parts of this song my hand acts right and I get that feel. This is my best Monday afternoon effort for this week.

TCK
09-23-2013, 02:09 PM
Agreed- now what song do I play more than Sunday afternoon? Not sure I have any...ARGH
Hmm
What if the thing we've gotten good at after multiple weeks of Seasoning is choosing an interesting and challenging song, finding/working out a workable arrangement, and muddling through it within a limited time frame??
Oh Dear :-)

redpaul1
09-23-2013, 02:47 PM

Rob - you just made me literally laugh right out loud.

Brian - that performance had me applauding at the end.

p.s., I had a look to see if I could suggest a workround for you using PowerPoint (2 vids in 1 slide, playing simultaneously), but no joy, I'm afraid.

09-23-2013, 10:20 PM
i take my hat off not only to skidoo for hosting, but to everyone who's posted so far. i asked myself - what do i do best? even narrowing it down to ukelele-ing ;) i couldn't think of anything. then i took a tip from a previous poster here and went and had a look at comments on my vids over on youtube to see what other people maybe thought i do best. and i realised that what i do best is vex ginny with all the songs i do about someone treating someone like a doormat, and then singing a rather lame apology for their behaviour. this time i've chosen a song from the doormat-EE's, rather than the usual doormat-ER's, perspective, just for a bit of variety :)

so here we go - angel of the morning (juice newton)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Hz1B0wJH5s

i struggled mightily to find a key in which i could not only growl very quietly or even totally silently, the low bits, but also screech very loudly the high notes, and also as a bonus have some of my singing in bat frequencies, and audible only to dogs. i think i succeeded :cool:

we tigers
09-23-2013, 10:58 PM
I'm going to have a slightly different take on the theme if that's okay. I plan on recording a song that I've wanted to do for months, but never got around to actually learn how to play it.
If I manage to actually pull it off, it will be my best performance, so I guess it'll fit the bill.

Back to shredding my fingers every night. Practice makes perfect. I hope to record on Thursday...

pabrizzer
09-23-2013, 11:11 PM
Angel of the Morning (Chip Taylor)

Not trying to be pedantic but if we are doing all these covers I like to acknowledge the actual composer.
Juice Newton also did a very good cover - like you did - bird's eye view of my ukulele.
I especially liked the big finish. I like to hear another bari on the seasons.

Chip Taylor - real name - James Wesley Voight. Apparently he wrote Wild Thing as well so I learnt something there.

09-23-2013, 11:26 PM
oops i should have done my homework there, pa. i did that awful thing that always makes me cross when THE YOUNG PEOPLE OF TODAY :mad: do it, which is assume the first version THEY heard of a song (usually recorded about a fortnight ago, probably by a boy band full of twelve year olds) is the original version. i am of an age to have had the juice newton version be the one i heard growing up, and so in my tiny mind i think it's the definitive version and in my ignorance i actually did think it was the original :uhoh:

but i have learned a thing today :rock: and i just checked out chip taylor singing it, and the REAL first recording by evie sands

ukulele underground...

where you learn stuff

:bowdown:

pabrizzer
09-24-2013, 12:24 AM
oops i should have done my homework there, pa. i did that awful thing that always makes me cross when THE YOUNG PEOPLE OF TODAY do it, which is assume the first version THEY heard of a song (usually recorded about a fortnight ago, probably by a boy band full of twelve year olds) is the original version. i am of an age to have had the juice newton version be the one i heard growing up, and so in my tiny mind i think it's the definitive version and in my ignorance i actually did think it was the original

but i have learned a thing today and i just checked out chip taylor singing it, and the REAL first recording by evie sands

ukulele underground...

where you learn stuff

I did like your version and the big strumming finish. Bari ON!

The version I know best is the 1968 recording by Merrilee Rush which was quite a hit. I guess that's how I knew it wasn't a Juice Newton song (although I just checked and JN was born in 1952 - a lot older than I expected).

UkeyDave
09-24-2013, 12:58 AM
i take my hat off not only to skidoo for hosting, but to everyone who's posted so far. i asked myself - what do i do best? even narrowing it down to ukelele-ing ;) i couldn't think of anything. then i took a tip from a previous poster here and went and had a look at comments on my vids over on youtube to see what other people maybe thought i do best. and i realised that what i do best is vex ginny with all the songs i do about someone treating someone like a doormat, and then singing a rather lame apology for their behaviour. this time i've chosen a song from the doormat-EE's, rather than the usual doormat-ER's, perspective, just for a bit of variety :)

so here we go - angel of the morning (juice newton)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Hz1B0wJH5s

i struggled mightily to find a key in which i could not only growl very quietly or even totally silently, the low bits, but also screech very loudly the high notes, and also as a bonus have some of my singing in bat frequencies, and audible only to dogs. i think i succeeded :cool:

Yeh babeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Loved it. You are the queen of the upstroke. ;-)

foxisaac
09-24-2013, 01:25 AM
Here's a song I've been working on for far too long haha, this is Down Today: By Jonathon Coulton.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQ5LvsFB_k4

pabrizzer
09-24-2013, 01:41 AM
Here's a song I've been working on for far too long haha, this is Down Today: By Jonathon Coulton.

It was worth it though - what a terrific little song and SO well performed Isaac.
I just went and checked out the original - it's so good and your cover is just fantastic. Actually worth a much better recording process I reckon.
Good to see you back in a season playing and singing so darn well!

foxisaac
09-24-2013, 01:43 AM
It was worth it though - what a terrific little song and SO well performed Isaac.
I just went and checked out the original - it's so good and your cover is just fantastic. Actually worth a much better recording process I reckon.
Good to see you back in a season playing and singing so darn well! Thank you so much !

UkeyDave
09-24-2013, 02:25 AM
I don’t know about “Best Foot Forward” this is more like Cockiest Foot Forward.
Well this got me thinking what my best attributes were relating to Ukeing. Well a simple chord progression (two chords, you can’t get easier), stealing song ideas from my fellow seasonistas (apologies to Brian and Cha for this one) and I have always had reasonable rhythmical body movement. In fact any driving rhythm always gets me moving. This was much to the annoyance of my teachers many many years ago. Rulers made excellent drum sticks and got me into many a scrape. My mum always used say “oh for god’s sake David sit still”. I have been told my strumming is quite rhythmical too. Anyway here is my unadulterated plagarism of “I am not at war with anyone” and one you all probably remember from last week. This is a different take on it though. When I practice on my Uke sometimes I find it helps to do it this way. Please forgive me Brian.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IW3R8DwvMeE

foxisaac
09-24-2013, 02:39 AM
Well this got me thinking what my best attributes were relating to Ukeing. Well a simple chord progression (two chords, you can’t get easier), stealing song ideas from my fellow seasonistas (apologies to Brian and Cha for this one) and I have always had reasonable rhythmical body movement. In fact any driving rhythm always gets me moving. This was much to the annoyance of my teachers many many years ago. Rulers made excellent drum sticks and got me into many a scrape. My mum always used say “oh for god’s sake David sit still”. I have been told my strumming is quite rhythmical too. Anyway here is my unadulterated plagarism of “I am not at war with anyone” and one you all probably remember from last week. This is a different take on it though. When I practice on my Uke sometimes I find it helps to do it this way. Please forgive me Brian.

Masterfully done sir

pabrizzer
09-24-2013, 03:25 AM

Mate, the world needs to hear this song as many times and in as many ways as possible.
Great version!

elmann
09-24-2013, 04:47 AM
I have always had reasonable rhythmical body movement.

Yeaaa! Thumbs up! Same with me, helps a lot to keep pace. And brings fun to the audience!

bonesigh
09-24-2013, 06:46 AM
I think 3,647 views is pretty impressive Dave (:

Great theme Bill. This got me thinking and like mythinformed I find it hard to know what my best foot is. (It could be a Brit thing I'm not sure). Anyway, this got me looking at my youtube hits and thinking that perhaps I'd choose the song I had most views for. This gave me a surprise as I wouldn't have guessed. Whether that is my best I don't know but thought it would be worth re-doing the song because I feel I can now do it in a more suitable key for my voice so I think that is my approach for this one. Thanks for a really interesting theme. It should be a great week.

elmann
09-24-2013, 07:49 AM
Paul Kuhn (pron.: Coon), a well-known German band leader, arranger and pianist of Swing and Jazz (deep influenced by Brits and Americans around WW-II), died yesterday with 85 yrs. One of his last concerts he gave last month only steps from my office during the "culture under canvas" season here.

One of is bread and butter songs from 1963 has been "Es gibt kein Bier auf Hawaii". And that's my passion, translate or adapt: There is no beer on Hawaii.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d11VfAI2iUo

I'm pleased about any correction of phrases...

peewee
09-24-2013, 09:03 AM
Paul Kuhn (pron.: Coon), a well-known German band leader, arranger and pianist of Swing and Jazz (deep influenced by Brits and Americans after WW-II), died yesterday with 85 yrs. One of his last concerts he gave last month only steps from my office during the "culture under canvas" season here.

One of is bread and butter songs from 1963 has been "Es gibt kein Bier auf Hawaii". And that's my passion, translate or adapt: There is no beer on Hawaii.

I am grinning at this marvelous piece of German pop culture Great job translating, I've attempted that before and it's not easy.
I love it.

xommen
09-24-2013, 09:24 AM
Paul Kuhn (pron.: Coon), a well-known German band leader, arranger and pianist of Swing and Jazz (deep influenced by Brits and Americans after WW-II), died yesterday with 85 yrs. One of his last concerts he gave last month only steps from my office during the "culture under canvas" season here.

I have found that ukuleleunderground has a smiley for this particular song
:cheers::cheers:

Good job, these lyrics remind me of a dutch drinking song that translates to:
in heaven there is no beer
thats why we drink it here.

Cornfield
09-24-2013, 11:55 AM
Paul Kuhn (pron.: Coon), a well-known German band leader, arranger and pianist of Swing and Jazz (deep influenced by Brits and Americans around WW-II), died yesterday with 85 yrs. One of his last concerts he gave last month only steps from my office during the "culture under canvas" season here.

What a great ukulele song. My ukulele group has been very focused on Hawaiian songs lately. I have to show them this one

UkeyDave
09-24-2013, 01:22 PM
I think 3,647 views is pretty impressive Dave (:
Oh crikey I didn't spot "lifetime" views. I was looking at another song that said was top with about 255 views. You have made me realise I was looking at last 30 day views and thinking that was total views. Oh no, I'm not doing The Scientist again I was thinking of doing "I don't wanna talk about it" in a new and improved key. Thanks for pointing that out to me Janet. That took me by surprise.

bonesigh
09-24-2013, 02:50 PM
But I liked "The Scientist" Dave! Okay, now I have to look up your "I don't wanna talk about it (:

09-24-2013, 03:28 PM
Yeh babeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Loved it. You are the queen of the upstroke. ;-)
thanks very much! upstroke... it's what i do :cool: it's all i do :uhoh:

your vid - love it! nice wiggle going on

I have found that ukuleleunderground has a smiley for this particular song
:cheers::cheers:

... a dutch drinking song that translates to:
in heaven there is no beer
thats why we drink it here.
lol +++ !

TCK
09-24-2013, 06:38 PM
Best foot forward for me is more like stumbling. Oh well, it is what it is-
This is what I do, nothing fancy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3JnUMBGBZo&feature=youtu.be

Dan Uke
09-24-2013, 09:24 PM
Best foot forward is to let the fingers talk and to keep my mouth shut :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwTCHb5d3Xs&feature=youtu.be

Tootler
09-25-2013, 04:10 AM
Of the material I have posted for the seasons, the few instrumentals I have posted have seemed to attract the most favourable comments. So for my entry, I've gone back to the very first tune I posted on You Tube.

Niel Gow was a fiddler who lived from 1727 to 1807. He is a very important figure in Scottish Folk Music. He was employed as a fiddler by the Duke of Athol and he, together with his son, Nathaniel, collected or composed many of the tunes which form much of the core of the standard Scottish Fiddle repertoire. His second wife died in 1805 and it is said he was so upset that he stopped playing his fiddle. His son, Nathaniel persuaded him to start playing again and he wrote this tune in her memory.

My original You Tube version of this tune was played on a bass recorder but this time I have used an Alto recorder which sounds one octave above the bass.

http://youtu.be/18sUSCjfa9Q

Mattyukaholic
09-25-2013, 05:26 AM
I've been persuaded to try and do a song every week now!

As I'm short on time (full time Daddy right now) and not very good at the technical stuff I thought I'd play what I think is one of the best songs I have written, even if the playing isn't the best :)

This is a song I wrote called Koh Samui, written when me and my wife fell in love. Unfortunately not long after we met she had a long holiday in Thailand booked. As you can tell, I missed her!

http://youtu.be/edmORqReKFY

Enjoying the entries so far. So glad to be a part of this. You're all so brilliant.

By the way, two things - sore throat (!) AND I have no idea what that weird time warping/earthquake thing my camera seems to do haha!

Thanks,
Matt

Mattyukaholic
09-25-2013, 05:29 AM
Of the material I have posted for the seasons, the few instrumentals I have posted have seemed to attract the most favourable comments. So for my entry, I've gone back to the very first tune I posted on You Tube.

Niel Gow was a fiddler who lived from 1727 to 1807. He is a very important figure in Scottish Folk Music. He was employed as a fiddler by the Duke of Athol and he, together with his son, Nathaniel, collected or composed many of the tunes which form much of the core of the standard Scottish Fiddle repertoire. His second wife died in 1805 and it is said he was so upset that he stopped playing his fiddle. His son, Nathaniel persuaded him to start playing again and he wrote this tune in her memory.

My original You Tube version of this tune was played on a bass recorder but this time I have used an Alto recorder which sounds one octave above the bass.

http://youtu.be/18sUSCjfa9Q

I love this! As I listen, the birds in the garden are joining in by singing. It's a gorgeous song to choose and played beautifully.

bbbannister
09-25-2013, 06:08 AM
Apologies now for this post, but on the basis this little girl put her best foot forward I couldn't help but share this:

http://youtu.be/Bpu0TIXzI1w

:-)

BB

redpaul1
09-25-2013, 06:38 AM
Apologies now for this post, but on the basis this little girl put her best foot forward I couldn't help but share this:

http://youtu.be/Bpu0TIXzI1w

:-)

BB

Do pay attention at the back there, Bannister! ;-)

Oh man, you wanna talk about goosebumps? The cuteness on display in this video will put goosebumps on your goosebumps.

I have no relation to either of the people in the video, I just saw it on HuffPost. The 4-year-old was afraid of the fireworks going off outside so her father pulled out his uke and they did a duet of "Tonight You Belong To Me"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Bpu0TIXzI1w

Personally, it makes my teeth rot. YMMV, of course :-)

KoaDependent
09-25-2013, 07:07 AM
By the way, two things - sore throat (!) AND I have no idea what that weird time warping/earthquake thing my camera seems to do haha!

Thanks,
Matt

When you upload to YouTube, don't let it "correct" the shakiness.

And now we have to find a way to squeeze that pink-uke-daddy-and-daughter video into every season!

23skidoo
09-25-2013, 08:12 AM
Hey folks! Sorry I've had a madcap couple of days and haven't been able to start hosting properly..... looking forward to hearing what every one comes up with. I've had a few PM's asking for clarification, so just to clear it up - new videos of songs you've previously posted are fine! I really just want folks to be able to do what they feel they do best rather than having to struggle to come up with something new. When I came up with this idea, I imagined all you Seasonistas picking a song Sunday night - a song you know well and love to play.... I saw you all practicing each night, polishing this gem before recording near the end of the week.... and then I talked to Alan.

I joked with him that I chose this theme (and disallowed bonuses) because our band has two gigs next week and I wanted him to spend time practicing rather than making a video a day.....:p But he said something interesting - he thinks what he does best are the quick and informal videos he makes.... and he has a point.

That's what this week is about - everyone doing what they love and feel most comfortable doing. I'm sure we'll see some finely crafted gems but I'm also looking forward to the loosey goosey nuggets that make the Seasons so enjoyable week to week.

Thanks for taking part everyone - now to catch up on the videos!

23skidoo
09-25-2013, 10:23 AM
Got a start on the videos - thanks for the great contributions, folks! I'll be back a few hours to check out the rest....

DougF – another killer original, Doug. As always, love the tone of your ukulele and the sweet changes – a great break and a lovely melody. This makes me think of those wonderful Sesame Street songs that make you glad to be alive….. the best kind of tunes there are.

xommen – Nicely done, Wim! Very strong vocals and an all around fine performance…. hadn’t heard that tune in years – well suited to the ukulele and your style in particular. Got to say I’m a bit surprised you didn’t end up with a U2 tune but this is just right….

pabrizzer – hell YES, briz….. this couldn’t be better…. an amazing tune and even better performance…. was hoping to get some blues out of you and the dirty tone on that baritone is right on…. Don’t know if Alan ever mentioned it, but Woven Pines added ‘I Washed My Hands In Muddy Water’ to our set list after you covered it – made quite the impression on both me and Alan…. By the way – there’s a workaround to do split screen videos in iMovie – you lose a little quality and it’s a bit time consuming, but I used it to make lots of videos – send me a PM if you want details…..

southside mike – Dig it, Mike! Seem to recall being impressed by this at a SEUkers open mic, but it might have been a similar tune….. really sweet break (dig those harmonics!), a lovely strum and nicely sung – great performance!

bird’s eye view – Yeah baby….. Lynda, this is truly beautiful – always love your voice, but it couldn’t be better hear – suits the warm, throaty tone of the bari to a ‘T’. My folks always listened to pop country stations when I was growing up….. I’ll always have a soft spot for this tune – came out when I was 6 or 7 and made quite an impression. Thaks for this wonderful cover!

ukuleledaddy
09-25-2013, 11:10 AM
I've been persuaded to try and do a song every week now!

As I'm short on time (full time Daddy right now) and not very good at the technical stuff I thought I'd play what I think is one of the best songs I have written, even if the playing isn't the best :)

As a fellow full time dad I totally get the lack of time. Sometimes I'm certain my wife thinks I spend most of the week sitting around playing my uke.
That was great by the way! Better than anything I've ever done for the seasons. Loved it!!

Mattyukaholic
09-25-2013, 11:31 AM
As a fellow full time dad I totally get the lack of time. Sometimes I'm certain my wife thinks I spend most of the week sitting around playing my uke.
That was great by the way! Better than anything I've ever done for the seasons. Loved it!!

Thanks a lot. Haha - I get that too. I recorded this today with one eye on the baby monitor thinking 'please please just wait four minutes before screaming!'

Srax
09-25-2013, 11:51 AM
Hello!

This is my entry. I don't know if is my best foot forward, but I am sure that is one I enjoy the most.

I hope you like it!

Hugs

Sara

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kc0n5IB3R14

ukuleledaddy
09-25-2013, 12:04 PM
Thanks a lot. Haha - I get that too. I recorded this today with one eye on the baby monitor thinking 'please please just wait four minutes before screaming!'

Oh I remember those days! One of the reasons I took up the uke was because 1) I needed something to save my sanity, and 2) I could hold the uke up high enough out of my daughters' reach, otherwise they'd pull all strings out and probably try to use it as a potty! My girls are in school now (Kinder and 1st grade) so I could technically take more time out of my day to play but my guilty conscience just won't allow it.

wee_ginga_yin
09-25-2013, 12:23 PM
Well this got me thinking what my best attributes were relating to Ukeing. Well a simple chord progression (two chords, you can’t get easier), stealing song ideas from my fellow seasonistas (apologies to Brian and Cha for this one) and I have always had reasonable rhythmical body movement. In fact any driving rhythm always gets me moving. This was much to the annoyance of my teachers many many years ago. Rulers made excellent drum sticks and got me into many a scrape. My mum always used say “oh for god’s sake David sit still”. I have been told my strumming is quite rhythmical too. Anyway here is my unadulterated plagarism of “I am not at war with anyone” and one you all probably remember from last week. This is a different take on it though. When I practice on my Uke sometimes I find it helps to do it this way. Please forgive me Brian. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IW3R8DwvMeE

When I was a teenager I thought the hymns in church needed a bit of drumming
and I took up a position in the back pews and gave a good back beat to "By Cool Siloam's
shady rill".

I saw the deacon march purposefully down the aisle. I knew he was coming for me.
I closed my eyes and drummed on. I felt a tap on my shoulder and a quiet voice in my ear.
"Excuse me is there anything wrong? Can I help you in any way?"

That was the nicest way I have ever been told to shut up.
Nowadays I might have tried a beat-box.

uke4ia
09-25-2013, 01:25 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbZfbwcQSx0

My strong suits are my songwriting, and doing covers that retain a fair amount of the original arrangement. So I have to choose between an original and a cover for this Season. This is my favorite of all my original songs, and one that I've been wanting a chance to play in the Seasons. I'm happy with the music, with the places the lyrics are specific, and where they're ambiguous. The song also uses my arrangement transferring skill, because I wrote this song on keyboard and years later converted the arrangement as closely as I could to the uke. "Let the music, laughter, and the wine flow free!"

Lyrics:

He saw it written in an old comic strip left in the shack where the hermit went
It said "Don't take life so serious, son, it ain't nohow permanent"
He said "I'll write that big and hang it on my wall
And you can use it for my epitaph if I should ever fall"

He said "I left my old life when I came here, but that don't mean it's left behind
All the moments of your past, they still haunt the pathways of your mind
My Sally’s been passed on now some fifteen years or more
Still I 'spect at any time to see her waltz right through that door

So add up all you've had, and all you've loved and lost
Do the sum, then tell me, weren't it worth the cost?
No matter how far out you go or how few folk you see
You’re still a member of a community"

He took that message to every farm and cabin all up and down the Northern wood
He said "You call this a mountainside, I call it my neighborhood
This year we've got some empty places at the table
All the reason more to gather up all those still able

And bring them to this glade for a jubilee
Let the music, laughter, and the wine flow free
Come on, my friends and neighbors, from both far and near
I may not know you, but I'm still glad you're here"

"I've savored every moment that I've drained from life's big cup
Even when it's spilling over, I kept shouting 'Fill 'er up!'
The barkeep'll cut you off long before you've had too much"

When I went round to gather him up for the party, he'd already left the place
Sitting in a chair, face to the window, empty eyes staring into space
I planted him out back beyond the willer tree
And hung up his epitaph for everyone to see

Then prop the cabin door open with a stone
Wish the spirits well and walk away alone
Nail a marker to the signpost where the road takes a bend:
"This way leads to the house of a friend"

Cornfield
09-25-2013, 01:52 PM
http://youtu.be/1bFK2aaKPuE

It's my best this week. An original song about an Aunt that has passed away.

"Goodbye Irene"

09-25-2013, 02:36 PM
I have no idea what that weird time warping/earthquake thing my camera seems to do haha!

there's a couple of us at least with slightly... let's say temperamental! ... cameras - welcome to the club!

loosey goosey
loosey goosey

i've just written that down and will be adding it to my "first-all-the-way-through take" video-making mantra

in fact i think i might adopt loosey goosey as an all-purpose motto for life in general!

I’ll always have a soft spot for this tune – came out when I was 6 or 7 and made quite an impression. Thaks for this wonderful cover!
thank you for the lovely comments. i think i was about 13 or 14 when that version of the song came out. you young whipper snapper, you!

Sometimes I'm certain my wife thinks I spend most of the week sitting around playing my uke.
:uhoh: does she say it like she thinks it would be a BAD thing???

Srax love this song! great vid!

xommen
09-25-2013, 09:45 PM
xommen – Nicely done, Wim! Very strong vocals and an all around fine performance…. hadn’t heard that tune in years – well suited to the ukulele and your style in particular. Got to say I’m a bit surprised you didn’t end up with a U2 tune but this is just right….

Thanks, as this was put your best foot forward week, I thought I would do a song that I've actually practiced playing for more then 5 minutes, but I don't like doing repeats.
I have two binders that contain songs, one that contains everything that I recorded and were ok(ish) and one that contains songs I really liked either before or after recording. This was the only song I had not done in that favorites binder. The funny thing is, that I think only 10 to 15 % of that binder contains U2 songs.

erivel
09-25-2013, 11:23 PM
I put my best foot forward, then I tripped...ha ha! :) I came up with this song. A song I always wanted to do but was afraid to tackle because I thought it would be impossible. But I'm doing this for you Bill and my fellow Seasonistas!

I took my time with this. I actually gave myself an hour to record the main track and the overdubs. That's like a half an hour more than I usually allow myself. And as an added "putting my best foot forward" feat, I actually practiced this song last night, I mean actually played it through a couple of times. You see when I usually make my Season's videos it's wham, bam...no practice, just hit record and see what happens. Oh and I stood up while playing, which I never do while playing the uke. Felt good but I need one of those strap thingies...rock 'n' roll!

Enjoy!

http://youtu.be/cgnzc56WQmU

elmann
09-25-2013, 11:35 PM
Best foot forward is to let the fingers talk and to keep my mouth shut :p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwTCHb5d3Xs

wonderful music and sound. very well done.

decaturcomp
09-26-2013, 01:33 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-F5ZTGCsyTo

decaturcomp
09-26-2013, 01:50 AM
Dude, I'm really impressed that you did that trippin'?

I'd be first in line for your cd of Beatles covers if you're up for producing one.

PS: Who knew that MIMSUKES was in Some Kind of Wonderful?

I put my best foot forward, then I tripped...ha ha! :) I came up with this song. A song I always wanted to do but was afraid to tackle because I thought it would be impossible. But I'm doing this for you Bill and my fellow Seasonistas!

I took my time with this. I actually gave myself an hour to record the main track and the overdubs. That's like a half an hour more than I usually allow myself. And as an added "putting my best foot forward" feat, I actually practiced this song last night, I mean actually played it through a couple of times. You see when I usually make my Season's videos it's wham, bam...no practice, just hit record and see what happens. Oh and I stood up while playing, which I never do while playing the uke. Felt good but I need one of those strap thingies...rock 'n' roll!

Enjoy!

http://youtu.be/cgnzc56WQmU

23skidoo
09-26-2013, 05:58 AM
Well folks - the Seasonista goodness continues to rain from the heavens. Finally got caught up - some amazing and beautiful stuff so far. Keep em coming!

foxisaac – great arrangement and excellent performance, Isaac – really nice picking and the vocals are right on. Alan/decaturcomp and his son have turned me on to a few of Coulton’s tunes – they’re all top drawer and this one is no exception….. going to have to give him a closer listen one of these days….

UkeyDave – glad you didn’t follow your mum’s advice on this one, Dave – sounds great! Dig the driving strum and the changing tone as your moving around the room…. And I love it that your stealing a song from another Seasonista – that’s what the Seasons are all about.

Elmann – nicely done! A great tune and well performed…. Well done on the translation, as well – very cool. It’s only 10am here, but now I’m thirsty…..

TCK – I knew you’d bring the good stuff, Dave….. Steve Earle perfection – couldn’t get much better. All the other Seasonistas are lucky I’m not judging this Season subjectively, because you would have just sealed it. And I’d pay good money to see you twerkin it, brother.

nongdam - holy crap, Daniel – that’s just beautiful. Wonderful, sensitive, and musical – everything an instrumental performance should be. Great tone out of that Moore Bettah, to boot…. Top notch stuff…..

Tootler – well done, Geoff – a lovely tune and the recorder compliments the ukulele nicely. Great tone for the melody and impressively played. Good stuff…..

Mattyukaholic – wow, wonderful original tune – great changes and a very pretty melody….. can hear this with a full band – electric guitar, tasteful synth lead, harmony vocals on the bridge and chorus…..

Srax – oh my goodness, yes…. one of my favorite tunes. Excellent strum and strong, melodic vocals – an all around fine performance. Your pleasure in playing this tune comes through in your video – exactly what I was going for when I decided on this theme. Thanks!

uke4ia – I’m always impressed by the complexity and execution of your covers, but I’m glad you picked one of your originals. I can see why this is your favorite – strong lyrics, very hip changes, and you rock the presentation. Glad to give you a reason to finally let us hear this one – well done, Jim…..

John Sargent – I’m pretty blown away by this – a beautifully written tune and a great tribute to your aunt. Reminds me of Kris Kristofferson and some of my other favorite songwriters of the 70’s….. I love the way you use “Goodnight Irene” in the chorus – a very nice touch. All around stunning and heartfelt performance – definitely near the top of the heap for the week.

erivel – holy smokes, Eric – you blew the doors off this one. Great arrangement, stellar perfomance….. those harmonies are out of sight and the lead ukulele is just right. Thanks for taking your time with this one – it’s an ambitious tune to tackle and you nailed it.

decaturcomp – nicely done, Alan – never get tired of hearing you play this one and playing it with you….. now go practice. :D

Mattyukaholic
09-26-2013, 06:07 AM
Mattyukaholic – wow, wonderful original tune – great changes and a very pretty melody….. can hear this with a full band – electric guitar, tasteful synth lead, harmony vocals on the bridge and chorus…..

It's funny you should say that. Here's the full version...almost exactly as you say!

http://afinedayforsailing.bandcamp.com/track/koh-samui

greyghost
09-26-2013, 07:06 AM
When I first took up the ukulele, about 3 years ago, this was the first "challenging" (as in, more than just strumming simple chords) instrumental I attempted to learn. I think I've gotten a lot better since then. Occasionally, someone will see my uke and ask me to play something. I'm a smartass at heart, so of course this is the song I break out in those circumstances. Here's my take on "Something."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBXm_4dMqQo&feature=youtu.be

Oh, and the reason it looks like I'm in a classroom is because I am a college professor. Today I'm giving exams all day, and the class got done with about 45 minutes to spare, so I thought I'd take advantage of the quiet (and the room's awesome natural reverb).

rem50
09-26-2013, 09:08 AM
Here's my entry. Been enjoying all I have heard so far!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmVDlkalGAg

ukuleleovernite
09-26-2013, 10:14 AM

Enjoy!

YES!!! I enjoyed it! Awesome, I just don't know what to say. Thumbs up!!! :shaka:

A song I always wanted to do but was afraid to tackle because I thought it would be impossible.

That's the recipe for renditions like this, I guess. Playing stuff that can be played sounds good, playing stuff that seems to be unplayable sounds great! Cheers!

GinnyT11
09-26-2013, 10:21 AM
Hey, ukuleleovernite! Welcome—we need some more Seasonistas from Germany!

ukuleledaddy
09-26-2013, 10:25 AM
I'd be first in line for your cd of Beatles covers if you're up for producing one.

I'd be right there in line with you Alan. Eric, that was amazing.

Barbablanca
09-26-2013, 12:17 PM
What am I good at?? Well, I think that'd be songwriting and singing passionately about things that I feel strongly about. So, that said, here is my latest "Obra" - It was written in response to the horrendous attack on a shopping mall in Nairobi last weekend. It asks what God/Allah would really think of their actions. I don't think He would be pleased....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQkJIq1gjS4

LYRICS:
In the Deepest Hell Intro Am, F (repeats)

F C
What kind of warrior goes into battle
G Am
Against a woman armed with a push chair?
F C
What kind of hero storms into a market
G Am
And throws grenades at the crowd shopping there?

C G
When you stand before God for his judgement
Am F
Do you expect him to say “You’ve done well”? (He’ll cry...)
C G
“You are not martyrs, you’re nothing but murderers!
Am F
You’ll spend eternity in the deepest hell!
C G Am F
The deepest hell! The deepest hell!
C G Am
You’ll spend eternity in the deepest hell!

What kind of General receives a new medal
For a death list of the poor and oppressed?
What kind of leader sends boys on a mission
With pipe bombs strapped tight to their chest?

Could you explain how slaughtering children
Could be conceived as fulfilling God’s will?
Men who forget His compassion and mercy
Do not fight for their Lord, they’re just mentally ill!

wallyboy
09-26-2013, 01:28 PM
nice theme bill,
heres my bash
sorry to lower standard of thread:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LtT42Fh0SA

decaturcomp
09-26-2013, 01:40 PM
Forgive my jumping in but you folks are all doing such good stuff!

Doug Frink - I’m Just Me
Musically I think many of us would be delighted to be “just” you, pal. What a great tune!

Wim - Holding Back the Years
Really great! You took it from soul crier to folk and back to soul. I dig this one a lot.

Pabrizzer - Started Out With Nuthin’
Holy crap! What a song, what a sound! I even like the video feel, is this in rotation on MTV AUS yet?

Michael McDonald - I’ll See You in My Dreams
Great one, man. I’ve tried to make this work a few times and never could get close to the excellent version you’ve got here. I’ll just refer folks to this video when they want to hear it in the future. That instrumental break is one of the best I’ve ever heard.

BEVOMU - Angel of the Morning
Beautiful!
Have you ever heard Chip Taylor, the guy who wrote this sing it with his band? It’s pretty wonderful. There’s a YT at the Music City Roots Festival that’s worth a look.

Isaac Fox - Down Today
A great JC song that’s tough to play well. You did a terrific job here. Respect.

Ukey Dave - I Am Not At war With Anyone
Wonderful, peppy, sincere version. I think this would be a great tune to add to the jams for ukey groups all over the World. Thank you.

KTSCHP - There is NO Beer in Hawaii
!
Really? I always thought it sounded like such a nice place, too.
A great fun song, thanks!

The Cloverdale Tewker - Prayer for Season 84
You are one of the most remarkable persons on this planet of ours.
This song proves it but so do firkins of other ones.
Keep on truckin’, sonny.

09-26-2013, 02:05 PM
wallyboy love this! love your vids!

mythinformed
09-27-2013, 02:55 AM
Wow some fantastic entries going on here, well done guys.
I'm stumped by technical issues I.e barely visible cam and no audio so its looking likely I've gotta duck outta this one grrrrrrr !!

23skidoo
09-27-2013, 03:58 AM
Excellent - a great recording..... great minds think alike:D

It's funny you should say that. Here's the full version...almost exactly as you say!

http://afinedayforsailing.bandcamp.com/track/koh-samui

23skidoo
09-27-2013, 04:23 AM
Some more excellent entries, folks! As always, I'm blown away by the quality we've already seen and I can't wait to hear what y'all come up with these last few days.....

greyghost – ah, very nice – one of my favorite instrumental pieces on the ukulele. A really nice performance with a great awareness of the melodic lines and really fine tone – the natural reverb in the room does add a lot. Might have to find Dom’s tab and have a go at this one myself…..

rem50 – really tasteful playing, Dean – I dig the way you vary the strum and mix in a few picked fills – and the picking on the break is great. That BP ukulele sounds wonderful – I’ve played a few of them and always been impressed by their playability and sound….. nicely done!

Barbablanca – very powerful tune, Berni. A great lyric and your vocals are especially strong on this one – really out of sight…. Love the combination of simple changes with the movement in the melody – it all comes together really nicely in another fine original tune – definitely your best foot forward.

wallyboy – we have standards? :) Seriously – this is solid performance. A rhythmic, driving strum and well sung. Good material always helps and you can’t go wrong with a Ringo Beatles tune – well done!

Shady Wilbury
09-27-2013, 04:59 AM
Country music appears to be my strong suit - I've done this one before, but I thought it would be a good one to put my best foot forward.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPWVqgC4i1Y&feature=youtu.be

frisbee fred
09-27-2013, 07:33 AM
I think the purpose of this Season is to do your best song. I don't really have one. I learn songs for each week, don't practice enough, and then record them and move on to the next one. This week is no exception. Just got back from a week long business trip without any access to a ukulele :( I like If You Could Read My Mind by Gordon Lightfoot so I just decided to record this one. Now I have to go back to work......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzfUo6mTrcY&feature=youtu.be

erivel
09-27-2013, 07:38 AM
Dude, I'm really impressed that you did that trippin'?

PS: Who knew that MIMSUKES was in Some Kind of Wonderful?

Thanks brother! A CD full of "odd ball" Beatles covers would be a fun project. And yes, MIM was so cool in that movie! :)

Stephen Reed
09-27-2013, 07:48 AM
Nicely done, Alan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-F5ZTGCsyTo

erivel
09-27-2013, 07:50 AM
erivel – holy smokes, Eric – you blew the doors off this one. Great arrangement, stellar perfomance….. those harmonies are out of sight and the lead ukulele is just right. Thanks for taking your time with this one – it’s an ambitious tune to tackle and you nailed it.

Thanks man! That solo and those twangy riffs that George plays up the neck durning the verses were giving me fits. He plays them with such ease on the roof top video, but I still couldn't figure out what he was doing.

Stephen Reed
09-27-2013, 07:53 AM
A blessing on your house, John. This is special.

"Goodbye Irene"

erivel
09-27-2013, 08:10 AM
YES!!! I enjoyed it! Awesome, I just don't know what to say. Thumbs up!!! :shaka:

That's the recipe for renditions like this, I guess. Playing stuff that can be played sounds good, playing stuff that seems to be unplayable sounds great! Cheers!

Thanks, I appreciate that! Part of the fun of doing the seasons for me is finding something challenging to cover...something familiar that no one would ever think to play on the uke. Getting it to sound right, well...I just strive for "ballpark."

laura809
09-27-2013, 09:45 AM
I haven't been playing ukulele long enough to have a clear best foot forward. It seems that whatever I am working on for the current season becomes my best foot forward since I am motivated to practice it regularly. This week I chose to work on Here Comes the Sun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz_D2D_qOKY

frisbee fred
09-27-2013, 09:47 AM
I haven't been playing ukulele long enough to have a clear best foot forward. It seems that whatever I am working on for the current season becomes my best foot forward since I am motivated to practice it regularly. This week I chose to work on Here Comes the Sun.

Yes, well, you are clearly an accomplished player. I like this song a lot too. Well done!

23skidoo
09-27-2013, 10:38 AM
Thanks man! That solo and those twangy riffs that George plays up the neck durning the verses were giving me fits. He plays them with such ease on the roof top video, but I still couldn't figure out what he was doing.

A lot of his stuff is like that.... I've got good tablature for every tune the Beatles recorded and I'm often still at a loss to figure out how he does what he does..... he makes it sound so easy. You hear it and think - 'sure, I can play that - doesn't sound too hard....' Riiiiight.... you really got a hold of this one, though - couldn't be much better....

23skidoo
09-27-2013, 10:44 AM
Shady Wilbury – Nicely done, Casey! This tune definitely suits your style and this is a solid performance. I’ve always had a real soft spot for this tune – my family had the LP when I was a kid, back when the album art was actually big enough to be part of experiencing the record. I was always absorbed by the picture of Kenny and all the other stock characters from the westerns my father always watched – I loved the way the image retold the story of the song….. thanks for the fine performance and the trip down memory lane….

frisbee fred – This is a great cover, Fred – really shows off your voice and your strumming is just right. It’s funny – when I came up with the theme for this week, I didn’t really think about what you – and several other Seasonistas – have said…. Your best foot isn’t a particular tune but the process of the Seasons itself. One more reason to enjoy every week…..

laura809 – nice pickin and well sung! Another great Beatles tune for the week….. you do a great job with the arrangement, really maintains the flow and feel of the original. Dig it!

wee_ginga_yin
09-27-2013, 10:57 AM
The song 'Loch Lomond' (also known as 'The Bonnie Banks Of Loch Lomond') is a traditional Scottish folk song that was first published in 1841. Many people know the melody of Loch Lomond but it is only the chorus that gets sung and never the verses.

If you prefer a hung-ho version then wait to Runrig (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2GJIxe0tn4) gets revved up half way through their video. Jump to 3 minutes in for the dancing

Here is my slow lament... with alternative lyrics.

http://youtu.be/x1iozRz2wtE

Lyrics
O you take the high road and I'll take the low;
I'll be in Scotland before you,
For me and my true love will never meet again
By the bonny, bonny banks of Loch Lomond.
O wither away my bonny maid
So late and so far in the gloaming?
The mist gathers grey on moorland and brae;
O wither so far are you roaming?
I trusted my own love last night in the broom,
My Donald who loves me so dearly;
For the morrow he will march for Edinburugh town
To fight for his king and Prince Charlie.
O well may I weep for yestreen in my sleep -
We stood bride and bridegroom together;
But his arms and his breath were as cold as the death,
And his heart's blood ran red in the heather.
I'll be in Scotland before you,

we tigers
09-27-2013, 10:59 AM
About two years ago I saw Ukulelezaza play Sous le Ciel de Paris and having picked up the ukulele fairly recently then, playing this seemed like something I would never achieve.
This summer I gave it a try and seriously never got further than the first fifteen seconds. When I saw this weeks theme I challenged myself to try and get it done. I gave myself five days to master this song. My fingers hurt, it's still rough around the edges but I more or less managed to pull it off. Woohoo!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wH-pFzVEyqg

decaturcomp
09-27-2013, 11:24 AM
Have access to a cellphone with video? I just upload stuff from one of those to You Tube and Bob's My Uncle.
Or...Maybe record audio only to soundcloud and post it?

Wow some fantastic entries going on here, well done guys.
I'm stumped by technical issues I.e barely visible cam and no audio so its looking likely I've gotta duck outta this one grrrrrrr !!

ukuleledaddy
09-27-2013, 12:07 PM
This week really had me stumped. I feel like I've been trying to figure out what my strengths are, if any. I've come to realize that I'm very hit and miss. For instance, I was going to do a song I love which I recorded way back in Season 6. I wanted to improve upon it and it was sounding nice a few days ago. I hit record yesterday and take after take stinks. I almost did a song I once performed with The Fruitloops because one thing I know I do well is jump around like an idiot in spandex and sequins. Maybe I'lll save that for when I pay TCK a visit and he can wear his bra and twerk. I'm sure we'd make a fine team.

Anyway, I settled on this because I love the song and have enjoyed playing it over the years (when I can remember the lyrics!), but I've never done it for the
Seasons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUAWPtMYoto

Shady Wilbury
09-27-2013, 12:09 PM
Thanks, Bill.

You learn something new every day. I didn't realise 'The Gambler' was the title track of an album...and that cover art is impressive. Maybe I'm weird, but for me the booklet/cover art is as much part of getting a new album as the music. I actually get a little cheesed off if there's no proper booklet with an album. Having the lyrics is a must for me.

Take care,

Casey

bonesigh
09-27-2013, 01:51 PM
Just wanted to say I think this guy always puts his best foot forward!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSnUwA6c67k

rem50
09-27-2013, 02:17 PM
rem50 – really tasteful playing, Dean – I dig the way you vary the strum and mix in a few picked fills – and the picking on the break is great. That BP ukulele sounds wonderful – I’ve played a few of them and always been impressed by their playability and sound….. nicely done!

Thanks 23skidoo! Glad you liked it.

decaturcomp
09-27-2013, 02:40 PM
That's a good point, Casey. We all love art as well as music, I think. As Bill points out, the old LP's had great access to that art, and the gatefolds were perfect for de-seeding plants. Someone even made a copy of the gatefold sleeve out of plastic and tried to sell it with the name "Seed Slide"...but I digress.

Thanks, Bill.

You learn something new every day. I didn't realise 'The Gambler' was the title track of an album...and that cover art is impressive. Maybe I'm weird, but for me the booklet/cover art is as much part of getting a new album as the music. I actually get a little cheesed off if there's no proper booklet with an album. Having the lyrics is a must for me.

Take care,

Casey

decaturcomp
09-27-2013, 03:56 PM
Dan Uke - Touch
Just wonderful, man. You have such a nice touch. A great way to end my week with a little concert by a terrific player.

Tootler - Lament for the Death…
This is glorious, Geoff. One of the most beautiful tunes I’ve heard you play. Thanks for introducing us to it.

Ucatalele Cat - Dream a Little Dream
I had to get up and shuffle around a bit which is what I seem to do rather than actual dancing.
I love the life you put into your performances. This is so nice. And the Blue Note at the finish!

Uke4ia - Community
I’m always glad when you post one of your own songs. I think we’re really lucky to have you and Berni and Doug and the rest of our songwriters here.

The tune is just marvelous and the doubled Wes Montgomery-like strings at the end are another great touch.

John Sargent - Goodbye Irene
Man, this is really moving. Well written, from the heart and wonderfully played.

GreyGhost - Something
Play something for us! Hah. That’s good. AND well played. We were just talking elsewhere about how difficult Harrison’s simple sounding parts are. You did a great job with this.

Dean Remington - You’re Nobody, until…

Nice! I like your vocal here and the playing is sweet and right on target, too. Glad you brought it to us.

Berni - The Deepest Hell

Good lordy, man, what a song and what a vocal! “What kind of leader sends boys on a mission with pipe bombs strapped tight to their chests?” I’m astonished by this and right there with you, Brother.

Walter Matthews - I’ll get by with….
I like the way you’ve made this a rollicking tune like a train speeding along. GIves it a little different slant. Thanks.

Shady - The Gambler

I like the way you do this one, pal. My foot couldn’t stop tapping. Breaking even isn’t something most gamblers ever do, is it?

Fred Grubb - If You could read my mind

Well done, Fred! I worked on this one a while back and it isn’t really as simple as it seems to be, is it? I especially enjoyed your vocal.

Sing 809 - Here Comes the Sun

Oh, this is just beautiful. Laura. I admire your playing.

wgy - The Bonnie Banks of Loch Lomand

Thanks for this, Rob. I’ve always wanted more of this song than we had. I should have looked into it. This is really just very fine.

WeTigers - Sous le Ciel de Paris

I can’t tell you how much I enjoyed this. I know it was a lot of work for you to get down and play this perfectly but for me, selfishly as your faithful fan, it was well worth whatever pain it may have cost you. Seriously, thanks for this.

Ukulele Daddy - Dedicated Follower

You cannot go wrong with the Kinks material, young fellah. I’ll bet our host agrees with me on that point, too. You’ve done this one up very nicely indeedy doo! Most enjoyable, sir. And, hey, NICE UKE, too!

bonesigh
09-27-2013, 04:24 PM
Been painting my daughter's room today, what a job. Seven hours later I've only got 2 walls completed and edging done on most of the others. I took a break and did this song. It's usually my best but no matter how much I played it I just couldn't get it perfect today but I always enjoy playing it (:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGxirqeYgD4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

ukuleledaddy
09-27-2013, 05:05 PM
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial]Ukulele Daddy - Dedicated Follower

You cannot go wrong with the Kinks material, young fellah. I’ll bet our host agrees with me on that point, too. You’ve done this one up very nicely indeedy doo! Most enjoyable, sir. And, hey, NICE UKE, too!

Young fellah? I like the sound of that. Yeah I love The Kinks. I must have done about 5 or six Kinks tunes for the Seasons by now. This is not my best foot forward (I had grand designs for this week. Alas.), I was scrambling today, but I've always had a good time playing this tune. Thanks.
And yes, that's a damn fine uke.

Hochapeafarm
09-27-2013, 05:10 PM
Hi, folks!

Don't know if I put my best foot forward on this one, but I sure gave it my best try! This entry is an original instrumental that I've kind of been working on for a few months, mostly noodling around. I have been wanting to try to get this put together, and this week's theme inspired me to do so. Maybe lyrics will surface at some point in the future on this one, too. We'll see. :-)

This entry also kinda marks a milestone for me in that it's the first public video where I *attempt*, dare I say, "chunking" (or is it "chucking"?). I am sure that I probably didn't do it right, but it's the best I've got so far. :-) Thanks for watching and lots of thanks and a big shout out to our host, 23skidooooooo!!!! :D

http://youtu.be/rP2nVwqCwtQ

peewee
09-27-2013, 05:38 PM
Not my best foot, but my most ambitious one. Here's an attempt to take a violin duet and transcribe it to uke. The individual parts sound fine, but fit together really strangely in places, I think I'm adding extracurricular notes with my strum that are clashing somehow. Been working on this for ages, and can even play the lead part from memory. Anyway - Appalachia Waltz by Mark O'Connor from his violin method book.
I wish I had more time to clean this up..

http://youtu.be/j_c3jXCTtLo

http://youtu.be/j_c3jXCTtLo

09-27-2013, 07:16 PM
peewee - great vid - and LOVELY close up view of your very beautiful uke

myrnaukelele
09-27-2013, 08:02 PM
Well skidoooo, this week's theme had me meandering down memory lane. Flash back to 1993 - my friend Gladys Gottacello and I are singing and swinging to some of our favorite 20s and 30s songs. We were the Sophisticated Ladies. We even made a cassette tape! I would have loved to have downloaded one of our songs from back then but I don't have the cables/time needed to connect a cassette recorder to my computer. Oh, to have had YouTube back then! And a decent video camera. Oh to have even had the internet back then (at least as we know it now!). Those were the days...
Anyway- the recording I overdubbed was from 2010 (On CD!) recorded live at a folk festival several summers ago when we got together after not playing together for 15 years. This is actually not my best uke playing. I always played this song on guitar and learned it very quickly on uke for this season. It was recorded with little practice and time for only a couple takes. Mixed it in audacity and tossed in a few pictures from way back when...It was sure fun reminiscing.

http://youtu.be/l32vsnH6uc0

wee_ginga_yin
09-28-2013, 01:20 AM
wgy - The Bonnie Banks of Loch Lomand

Thanks for this, Rob. I’ve always wanted more of this song than we had. I should have looked into it. This is really just very fine.

"By Yon Bonnie Banks" as well as "my bonnie lies over the ocean" are two songs that
most people learn when they want to sing a Scottish song, and they are usually sang
rather jauntily and at a fast tempo, but Loch Lomond really is a song about lost love
and is more of a lament.

It has all the elements of a good song... young couple make love... young man goes off
to war... Girl has a premonition of his death in battle... then wanders forsaken and forlorn
by the side of the loch where once they roved together.

But there are a couple of versions of the song, but this is the one I like the best.

C Am F Am
O wither away my bonny maid

C Am Dm7 G7
So late and so far in the gloa-ming?

F Am F Dm7 F
The mist gathers grey on moorland and brae;
C F G7 C
O wither so far are you roaming?

Chorus

C Am F C

C Am Dm7 G7
I'll be in Scotland afore you,

F Am F Dm7 F
C F G7 C

mm stan
09-28-2013, 02:22 AM
Nice Job Chelley with your new Martin T1K....glad this uke is working for you...parts of this song reminds me of that eagles song...

Hi, folks!

Don't know if I put my best foot forward on this one, but I sure gave it my best try! This entry is an original instrumental that I've kind of been working on for a few months, mostly noodling around. I have been wanting to try to get this put together, and this week's theme inspired me to do so. Maybe lyrics will surface at some point in the future on this one, too. We'll see. :-)

This entry also kinda marks a milestone for me in that it's the first public video where I *attempt*, dare I say, "chunking" (or is it "chucking"?). I am sure that I probably didn't do it right, but it's the best I've got so far. :-) Thanks for watching and lots of thanks and a big shout out to our host, 23skidooooooo!!!! :D

http://youtu.be/rP2nVwqCwtQ

frisbee fred
09-28-2013, 02:29 AM
Nice Job Chelley with your new Martin T1K....glad this uke is working for you...parts of this song reminds me of that eagles song...

Ha! I just wrote on her YouTube page that it reminded me of Phil Collins and the Eagles.....

wee_ginga_yin
09-28-2013, 02:52 AM

"Goodbye Irene"

That is a great song. I love a song with a story to it... or even a moral.
There is something about it that reminds me of "Seasons in the sun" by Terry Jacks
combined with Leadbelly's "Goodnight Irene". I don't know if it was intentional
but regardless it was very inventive. Well done.

bbbannister
09-28-2013, 03:13 AM
Here's a little ditty with no name and no singing as that would definitely not be my best foot forward!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76l6udNe1DI&feature=share&list=UUB4HTPA3aJhUoMHRMVhlwbw

Happy 84th

BB

uke4ia
09-28-2013, 05:06 AM
"By Yon Bonnie Banks" as well as "my bonnie lies over the ocean" are two songs that
most people learn when they want to sing a Scottish song, and they are usually sang
rather jauntily and at a fast tempo, but Loch Lomond really is a song about lost love
and is more of a lament.

It has all the elements of a good song... young couple make love... young man goes off
to war... Girl has a premonition of his death in battle... then wanders forsaken and forlorn
by the side of the loch where once they roved together.

I always loved the rave-up version of Loch Lomond that Richard Thompson did on a French Frith Kaiser Thompson album. It played on the listener's expectation of a slow lament. I think they rewrote the lyrics quite a bit. French Frith Kaiser Thompson - Loch Lomond (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9_FXeeGmfw)

Cornfield
09-28-2013, 05:30 AM
Is anyone else having trouble navigating through this thread? I click to see the posts on page 11 or 10 and it takes me to the first page.
This is spoooooky

cua94
09-28-2013, 06:49 AM
Bonesigh, I love this song and you play it great!

CUA94

mythinformed
09-28-2013, 09:07 AM
Have access to a cellphone with video? I just upload stuff from one of those to You Tube and Bob's My Uncle.
Or...Maybe record audio only to soundcloud and post it?

Eh Thats all a bit too technical for me Alan !!! :o

My neighbours a whizzkid at all this sort of stuff and he tells me theres a problem with my processor or sommat arghhhh.
It takes me about 2 hours to download or upload (or whatever you do) a video on Youtube so hopefully I'll have an entry in within the next hour.:D

mythinformed
09-28-2013, 09:54 AM
Finally managed to get this entry in, hopefully I've done this song a little justice in my playing!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBzS_EjKf90&feature=youtu.be

greenie44
09-28-2013, 11:11 AM
Initially, I thought I would let this Seasons pass by, since I was at a conference all week. But dang it, it seemed like a challenge, so I put this together – my most involved video, by far. Due to time constraints, I haven’t watched any of the other entries this week, so I don’t know how this one will fit in or not.

The original song was a multi-track I did about a year ago. “Best” is a funny word, but this was certainly the recording that best captured what was in my head when I started. I used a lot of tracks, but it all seemed to gel.

I thought that I would try to match it with a bit more sophisticated shooting and editing, and one thing led to another. You can see the results here. It’s a bit of a mess, but I think it’s fun too. Hope you enjoy it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=CkzxpyPHOX0

Jazzbanjorex
09-28-2013, 12:26 PM
I was tempted to do another song but then I chose this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJb-2Ft1CJI&feature=youtu.be

Dan Uke
09-28-2013, 01:04 PM
Is anyone else having trouble navigating through this thread? I click to see the posts on page 11 or 10 and it takes me to the first page.
This is spoooooky

I have that same issue. I can only see the pages at work but Youtube is blocked and at home, I'm only able to look at page 1. I'm glad Bill is good about updating the playlist or I think he's updating the playlist. hahaha

wolfchs
09-28-2013, 02:04 PM
Aloha everyone! Finally! I get to post a day early than usual... so far so good, another amazing week of entries, I've watched at least half now and more to go which I have the rest of the weekend to do :)
Well Bill made my head hurt trying to figure out what I can do this week but I figured just go do what you love to do and here it is, I hope you guys like it too!

http://youtu.be/xTg0rOgM7RY
Thank you Bill for this very challenging theme! :o

23skidoo
09-28-2013, 02:43 PM
Thanks, Bill.

Take care,

Casey

Yep, I love having the lyrics, too..... and "The Gamblers" art wasn't that impressive.... just captivated my little 8 year old rednceck imagination.....

caukulele
09-28-2013, 02:47 PM
I have been swamped lately with work, but decided to do an entry this week...even if practice time was short.... Last weekend I decided to transform one of my ukuleles by painting it, and it was so much fun to do, ....So in this video, my painted ukulele is my "Best foot Forward". I choose a wonderful "classic" song, that I always wanted to learn... "Crazy"..as always this is a wonderful week of great entries!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1OK0_0cyOc

bonesigh
09-28-2013, 04:18 PM
Thank you (:

Bonesigh, I love this song and you play it great!

CUA94

23skidoo
09-28-2013, 04:35 PM
Well folks - the end times draweth nigh. Thanks to all for the stellar contributions so far. Again, I'm blown away by the variety and depth of talent in our Seasonista family. I can't tell you how much I've enjoyed catching up with all these wonderful contributions today. I'm anxiously awaiting the treasures the final hours will bring....

wee_ginga_yin – my oh my, Rob, that’s just about as pretty as it needs to be. Marvelous vocals and your trademark production complements the story and melody so nicely….. this tune has finally replaced ‘Lucky Old Sun’ as my favorite of your recordings – this is just about perfect. I love to play this one myself – it gets called frequently at our local S.E. Ukers get-togethers…. We do an abbreviated arrangement…. I’ll have to print all the words and make everyone sing the whole thing from now on…..

we tigers – holy crap, Michael – this is stunning. Great tone, clear articulation, nice rhythm, great lyricism…. just an all-around impressive instrumental performance. I’ll need to give the Ukulelezaza version another listen…… and I love Saskia’s applause at the end – it makes the video!

ukuleledaddy – you know I love The Kinks and this is one of their best…… completely dig the enthusiasm of your performance – the vocals just wouldn’t fly otherwise. A great arrangement and performance – nicely done Sean!

bonesigh – this is very pretty, Janet….. especially fine vocals, but the strummin and pickin are really well arranged as well - you’ve captured a lot of the feel of the original tune without sacrificing the flow needed for a solo performance. It’s funny – I’ve never given this tune much of a serious listen because of the production on the original recording – just not my cup of tea – but your version makes me appreciate what a well-written song it is. Good stuff!

Hochapeafarm – excellent strummage! A really nice set of changes that could work with a variety of lyrics – would love to hear what you come up with in the future. Great tone from the Martin – a lovely instrument and well played….. and the chunking sounds great!

peewee – eggzcellent, Peter….. very cool recording. I love this tune…. first heard Yo-Yo Ma’s solo cello version, but I love the interplay of the duet arrangement you’ve done here. I dig the quirky bits that don’t quite line up – adds a lot of flavor and interest without being too heavy handed….. you should’ve told us you did it on purpose, you cutting edge ukuleleist you…..

myrnaukulele – sweet! Love the improvised multitracking….. I always enjoy your take on these classic tunes – without a doubt, your best foot forward, in my opinion….. great strumming and singing – as always, a real pleasure to hear…..

bbbanister – lovely instrumental, Bob. I dig the amplified tone and reverb, really accentuates the ringing, bell-like quality of the melody line over the arpeggios without sacrificing any of the articulation. Great movement in the changes without overcomplicating the tune or getting in the way of the melody – just subtle and beautiful…. an excellent foot forward……

mythinformed – Hell yeah, Mark – you can’t go wrong with the Man in Black. This tune is right in your vocal wheelhouse, just right….. the rhythm is great, a nice, driving strum that keeps things going down the track…. excellent choices on the chord voicings, as well - very nicely arranged….. well done!

greenie44 – holy smokes! First let me say that I’m a big fan of ‘Taking Tiger Mountain’ –one of Eno’s best….. this is madcap fun and an impressive recording – well conceived and executed. The layers that just keep coming during the instrumental break – good stuff….. and that video editing must have taken some time. I’m no stickler for the rules, so I’m going to let it slide that you didn’t mention the Seasons or that this seems to be something you recorded previously….. thanks for the top notch entertainment!

Jazzbanjorex – great cover of a truly excellent tune, Rex. Nice strum and the vocal is right on. Usually pop songs like this lose a little something as a solo piece, but you manage to pull this one off nicely, carrying it with your strong singing and solid playing – enjoyed this one a lot….

wolfchs – Mina – this is just beautiful. I’ve always loved this tune, one of Dylan’s best, but you really make it your own. Your singing on this is truly wonderful and the picking is smooth and unfaltering and perfectly complements your singing. Your sensitivity really shines through and puts your personal stamp on this heartfelt performance. I’m really blown away – this is a keeper. Thanks very much….

caukulele – wonderful cover, Denise. Your beautifully painted instrument matches the playing and singing on this one. Love your choice of chord voicings….. was this your own arrangement? It’s without a doubt the best ukulele version of this tune I’ve heard. It catches a lot of the nice movement in the original and shows how much can be done with a seemingly simple set of changes. It’s also a perfect complement to your understated vocal style. A very tasteful and entertaining foot forward….

UkeyDave
09-28-2013, 04:39 PM
Aloha everyone! Finally! I get to post a day early than usual... so far so good, another amazing week of entries, I've watched at least half now and more to go which I have the rest of the weekend to do :)
Well Bill made my head hurt trying to figure out what I can do this week but I figured just go do what you love to do and here it is, I hope you guys like it too!

Wow this was just great wolfchs. You had me harmonising along with that. I love this song and your version was lovely stuff.

strumsilly
09-28-2013, 05:21 PM
Made it safely to our new home in the great northwest. a 3k car trip! Still unpacking, but the household goddess gave me a few minutes off to record this, hope I got' er done in time. I have a seriously slow internet connection here in rural WA. it might not be live for awhile. listened to some of the posts while unpacking,and finally got my favorite uke unpacked, so here she goes.

http://youtu.be/yjZNRleUUEQ

Stephen Reed
09-28-2013, 06:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAOORKkDcKM&feature=youtube_gdata_playerNew musicological research has just proven that you can put your best foot forward and stub your toe at the same time. Thanks for hosting, Bill!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAOORKkDcKM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

thesillydave
09-28-2013, 09:12 PM
howdy gang! this was supposed to be a group project..but my back up singers, they all bailed on me...
so, i decided to forge ahead anyhow, and redo a favorite song of mine that i didn't quite finish with all the added chorus singing parts,
"i feel pretty", but with Popeye singing it. yes, Popeye. the spinach eating sailor. or, in my head....Popeye....hug hug hug......

http://youtu.be/kW4vAFoia74
cheers all! yuk yuk yuk!

peewee
09-29-2013, 07:25 AM
So my previous entry was kind of a fiasco, so can we scrap that and use this, what may be the shortest entry in Seasons history at 0:40?
My camera person missed the "season 84" at the beginning.
Devil's Dream, a traditional tune from my daughter's violin/fiddle teacher..http://youtu.be/oI2kPKHsfro

http://youtu.be/oI2kPKHsfro

vct33
09-29-2013, 08:00 AM
A fun song from the Adam Sandler movie The Wedding Singer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZcmwMyPI1U

ukuleledaveey
09-29-2013, 10:20 AM
howdy gang and thank you very much for Bill hosting a fab week and great theme.
My strength i believe is my weakness, i am not a particularly good player and a lousy singer just about in tune, i don't have any music theory knowledge or computer skills to multi track or edit, but i do possess my own style , yes folks it is the return of the famed "Limited Ability Style"
I have chosen to cover a classic Police song, it is nothing like the original, more of a organic slight country style to it well that is what i have convinced myself, anyway here for your (dis) pleasure :) oh sorry i forgot to mention the week in the video as i was having trouble trying to get a passable take !!!!! oh and i'm finally back in the ATTIC

http://youtu.be/8vnGZb8DCYk

DWitt
09-29-2013, 11:27 AM
Here's my entry! Pretty last-minute for me.

This has got to be among the first dozen songs I learned to play; hadn't recorded it yet. Unusual for me in that it's a happy, upbeat song, played at a pretty quick tempo. It does at least mention death, though, so there's some continuity there.

This didn't quite fit the theme, as I haven't really put any work into making this better, and most of the many new things I've learned over the last year of really trying to learn to play well just aren't in here. But the song is at least an old acquisition, and I think I do it well, so there we go.

Really, though, I think my best effort is, about half the time, whatever I've just done. I started participating here as a way to force myself to innovate and develop new techniques—I've only ever taken one lesson, in which I learned to strum and play C-F-G7. Since then, I've been on my own. So I try to get at least one new added something or other each week, or explore a new direction in playing, or something or other.

Blah blah blah. Anyway, video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OU69qDtgGMQ

GinnyT11
09-29-2013, 12:25 PM
http://youtu.be/o-OtriARjXY

Oh, what a rasslin' match I had with technology today! By the time I got a clear recording, I didn't care that I missed the double Cdims. I hope you don't mind either.

My best foot is not uking and singing, but interacting and encouraging, both in the vids and the threads. You are very kind to listen to me play.

Big applause to Bill, who's a serious musican and a super-fun uking compadre. Thanks for hosting, guy.

ukuLily Mars
09-29-2013, 01:04 PM
Like a few other people, for some reason I can't get past page one on this thread, so I don't have much of an idea what's going on! Anyway, I really am just not a great 'ukulele player and I'm an okay singer but I decided the way to put my best foot forward this week would be to sing what's most fun for me right now. This is one of my husband's favorite songs that I do, so there's that. Thanks for a great Season, Bill, as though you don't have your hands full with the Anthem.

Here's "It's Only a Paper Moon," by Harold Arlen, E.Y. Harburg, and Billy Rose. Because who doesn't love a song by Harold Arlen and a guy called Yip? I hope you enjoy it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqelt-tbhVQ

~dave~~wave~
09-29-2013, 01:37 PM
There's a cool guy who sits in with our uke strum-alongs on chromatic harmonica.
He found this tune last week flipping through the blue daily uke book and played it with the rest of us hanging on for dear life.

So I spent the week putting my best foot forward learning this lovely bossa nova.
Page 81 (A Day In The Life Of A Fool) to play or sing along.

http://youtu.be/HjS1j8kpvY8

redpaul1
09-29-2013, 02:43 PM
Hmmm, by the time I'd decided what was my best number (and even then....,), the Season had ended. At the same time, I think I'm kinda on the same page as peewee: my best number is the one I'm doing next.

See you in Season 85 or 86 (I think I did all my motown numbers in Pueo's Jerry Garcia season).

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
09-29-2013, 02:58 PM
"What's your best uke song, Ralf?"
"Uhhh... uhm..." [looks at shoes] "Hmm... let me think about that one... just give me another minute, I'll think of one."

Tough challenge, Bill. I definitely have favorite songs, and there are a few songs I play that friends and family seem to like, but I don't have a clue what I do best. I asked my intelligent, musically-discerning wife what my best uke song is and she had a suggestion. I heard somewhere that it's a song every uke player should know, and I once came in second in a contest playing this one, so it should be worth sharing and it's probably at least second-best.

http://youtu.be/-s01Y6uulN8

wee_ginga_yin
09-29-2013, 03:02 PM
There's a cool guy who sits in with our uke strum-alongs on chromatic harmonica.
He found this tune last week flipping through the blue daily uke book and played it with the rest of us hanging on for dear life.

So I spent the week putting my best foot forward learning this lovely bossa nova.
Page 81 (A Day In The Life Of A Fool) to play or sing along.

http://youtu.be/HjS1j8kpvY8

Great playing... I have always thought that the most astute players leave lots of space in the melody.
Sometimes it is not about the notes you are playing but the ones you are leaving out... leaving space
for other instruments and sounds. This was a completely captivating performance. Well done.

caukulele
09-29-2013, 03:35 PM
caukulele – wonderful cover, Denise. Your beautifully painted instrument matches the playing and singing on this one. Love your choice of chord voicings….. was this your own arrangement? It’s without a doubt the best ukulele version of this tune I’ve heard. It catches a lot of the nice movement in the original and shows how much can be done with a seemingly simple set of changes. It’s also a perfect complement to your understated vocal style. A very tasteful and entertaining foot forward…."
Thanks so much Bill for your kind words. The song is from Richard G's Ukulele Songbook:
http://www.scorpexuke.com/song-display.html?song=Crazy_Patsy_Cline.pdf&id=1059.
It's the Patsy Cline version.

UkeCan1
09-29-2013, 04:15 PM
I'm a brand new uker (4 weeks and 1 day!), entering my very first ukulele video in my very first season, so I very much appreciate this category! Now I gotta learn me some Motown.... Thanks for the encouragement!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmnW0ptMLo8

By the way, by week 3 I already had a band: www.facebook.com/UkeCan2! We're just getting started, but watch for some duo posts soon.

myrnaukelele
09-29-2013, 05:13 PM
Oh my- great first post! Indeed it is.
And welcome to the Seasons. We have lots of fun around here! Glad to have you join us. :)

GinnyT11
09-29-2013, 06:04 PM
I'm a brand new uker (4 weeks and 1 day!), entering my very first ukulele video in my very first season, so I very much appreciate this category! Now I gotta learn me some Motown.... Thanks for the encouragement!

Wendy, not only was that a perfectly fine song to enter in a uke video thread, but you did it laughing and smiling—and THAT is the important part! If you're not having fun, you're not playing the uke right.

Please come back! We need to bolster our soprano-alto section of the Seasonistas.

(When you've made 10 posts, you can access the Groups page, and you can join the Seasonistas group!)

23skidoo
09-29-2013, 07:55 PM
Hey folks - had a humdinger of a day..... was planning on catching up with the day's entries, but it's nearing 1 a.m. here and I'm afraid it's going to have to wait till morning. Still a few hours left for those of you in more hospitable time zones..... see y'all in the morning.....

Ukeval
09-29-2013, 10:25 PM
I hope it is not too late to post my entry... , Not the most difficult one, but I try to put the most feeling into it... and it is not the easyest thing to do...
;-)

http://youtu.be/9o-9NRvJyX8

pabrizzer
09-30-2013, 01:08 AM
What the ???????
Mattydee?
SillyDave?
I have been away and found I'd missed a page so SD is still a 100%er but where is Mattydee?

glass
09-30-2013, 09:17 AM
bummed I missed out recording this week, but some really great entries!!

Great week Bill!

mattydee
09-30-2013, 12:03 PM
What the ???????
Mattydee?
SillyDave?
I have been away and found I'd missed a page so SD is still a 100%er but where is Mattydee?

I know. It's my first missed season in MONTHS. I've been in rehearsal for a very demanding musical, and have not been at my peak vocally, and since my vocals (and let's face it, mouth trumpet) are my best foot, it just slipped out from under me. :( Made even sadder by the fact that one of the other seasons I missed, waaay back in the day was Bill's first season. I swear it's not you, Bill. I had a number ready to go, mouth trumpet and all, but I just could not make it happen. I hope to be back in full form this week, but I've got to take care. :(

ukuLily Mars
09-30-2013, 02:10 PM
I know. It's my first missed season in MONTHS. I've been in rehearsal for a very demanding musical, and have not been at my peak vocally, and since my vocals (and let's face it, mouth trumpet) are my best foot, it just slipped out from under me. :( Made even sadder by the fact that one of the other seasons I missed, waaay back in the day was Bill's first season. I swear it's not you, Bill. I had a number ready to go, mouth trumpet and all, but I just could not make it happen. I hope to be back in full form this week, but I've got to take care. :(
You gotta do when you gotta do. It's times like this that demand the Island of Misfit Seasonistas! I'm sure I'm not the only one who would love to see what you had planned for this week.

decaturcomp
09-30-2013, 02:47 PM
Love everything about this, Mina. Just a wonderful version of this great great song.
Side note: This record was released 16 years ago today along with the rest of "Time Out of Mind (http://johannasvisions.com/bob-dylan-time-out-of-mind/)".

xommen
09-30-2013, 10:23 PM
You gotta do when you gotta do. It's times like this that demand the Island of Misfit Seasonistas! I'm sure I'm not the only one who would love to see what you had planned for this week.

I would love to see which of his best feet Matt would set forward but why not just put it in this thread as a late "entry" the misfits thread I guess is more for people like me, Alan, TCK and Brian who tend to post a bit much and sometimes the host does not allow us to ;).

redpaul1
10-02-2013, 12:03 AM
I would love to see which of his best feet Matt would set forward but why not just put it in this thread as a late "entry" the misfits thread I guess is more for people like me, Alan, TCK and Brian who tend to post a bit much and sometimes the host does not allow us to ;).

Or - mattydee publishes in 'Misfits' and puts a link here! Two birds. One stone. :)

mattydee
10-03-2013, 12:28 PM
You are all very sweet. Here's what I had hoped to do, but missed the deadline due to time/vocal constraints. <edit>On second thought, I put it in the misfit thread...</edit.>

Linky (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?85238-The-Island-of-Misfit-Seasonistas&p=1399151#post1399151).

The question is, have I just pushed myself back by another week? The weekend doesn't look good for recording for 85. Hope springs eternal though.

bbbannister
10-06-2013, 10:02 PM
Love everything about this, Mina. Just a wonderful version of this great great song.
Side note: This record was released 16 years ago today along with the rest of "Time Out of Mind (http://johannasvisions.com/bob-dylan-time-out-of-mind/)".

This is really good. Time out of mind must be one of Dylan's best albums coming from such a dark place in his life, contrasted so with Slow Train Coming which was is my favourite coming from a time of light.

But this version is blissful. Lovely playing, beautiful singing just great.

BB

23skidoo
10-07-2013, 07:12 AM
Well folks, the prodigal host has returned. Sorry to be an absentee m.c., but this has been a rough week - hopefully you've been properly distracted by the intervening Seasons.

A hearty thank you to all for the wonderful contributions. Let me say that I am amazed - as always - by the quality of performances that come out of our virtual family every week. Everyone continues to improve and the Seasons become more flavorful every week.

It's been a real pleasure to see everyone present what they consider the strongest aspect of their playing. I've got to admit that I was surprised by many of the choices, but everyone did a wonderful job putting their best foot forward.

Here are my impressions of the last few videos. The random drawing for the secret prizes will happen in a few hours when the Skidoolettes get home from school - stay tuned!

strumsilly – This is great – really dig the strum and the nice, sweet chord voicings. Your comfort with this tune really shows through on your vocals – a great overall perfrormance, one of your best.

Stephen Reed – I could listen to you sing all day long, Steve – your vocals here are top notch, as usual. You really get the most out of the strum on this one, too – the classic sound of this tune is just right for the ukulele. Well done!

thesillydave – this surely puts the silly in thesillydave, man….. If I was judging the videos subjectively this Season, you’d definitely get bonus points for your spinach-inflected inpersination. Too bad Olive Oyl and your other back up singers bailed on you……

peewee - I actually really dug the rough-around-the-edges dissonance of your Appalachia Waltz, but this is a mighty fine resubmission. Clean picking and great tone on a beautiful melody. Nicely done!

vct33 – nice job on a very sweet tune. Glad you took the opportunity to give us this performance that might not fit into another Season….. it definitely shows your strengths – a nice solid strum and good vocals – a fine performance!

ukuleledaveey – nicely done, Daveey! Really dig your interpretation of this one…… I think most pop tunes could do with a little country and you nail it. And don’t sell yourself short, brother – your vocals are spot on and the rhythm is just right. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again – I don’t think any other Seasonista has shown as much progress in the various aspects of their performances over the course of the last year and a half as you – just keeps getting better, man – keep it up!

DWitt – what a great tune – not a JT song I’d heard before. This is a really strong performance – especially nice vocals. Good stuff!

GinnyT11 – this is fabulous, Ginny – quite a toe-tapper and surely plays to your strengths…. A nice job on those quick changes, too. As others said – it put a smile on my face, which, week to week, is definitely your ‘best foot forward’ here in the Seasons. Thanks!

ukuLily Mars – This is a really lovely performance, Lily. The strum is great – a good steady rhythm, especially with the off-beat stuff that really shows off the nice chord changes. Your voice is sweet and charming - just right for the classic feel of the tune. Really enjoyed this one……

~dave~~wave~ - great bossa feel, Dave – very impressive performance! The multi-track is very well done – nicely executed and sounds wonderful. A great blend of sounds and the melodica is perfect. I’m always impressed by your multi-track efforts and this is one of your best.

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters – dig it Ralf – another fine performance. It’s funny – I’ve been surprised by so many of the choices my favorite Seasonistas have made this week, but they’ve all been pleasant surprises, like this one. I enjoy your singing and your interpretation of more contemporary tunes so much – that’s what I was expecting to hear….. but your playing here couldn’t be better. Great tone, very musical, great feel and touch– it’s all just right. Thanks for this unexpected treat.

UkeCan1 – wonderful, Wendy! Welcome to the Seasons! A great first effort – such a lovely voice and a fine tune selection for your first effort. Can’t wait to hear more from you and FiL, one of my favorite Seasonistas!

Ukeval – one of my all-time favorite melodies, without a doubt, and this is a truly lovely interpretation, Val. As always, the sensitivity of your touch and tone are spot on and you make the most of the wonderful voice of that Glyph - an instrument almost as beautiful as your playing.

mattydee – oh my yes, Matty…. you killed this one. Your playing is always to be admired, but your voice is without a doubt your best foot. You put it forward with authority here – and your mouth trumpet never fails to please. Thanks for the late submission - it was worth the wait.

23skidoo
10-07-2013, 03:02 PM
Thanks again to all for another fabulous Season! Winners - PM me your shipping info and we'll get your prizes to you lickety split!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrCHfThnHZc

The Winners - by random selection:

Stephen Reed
erivel
barbablanca

Thanks folks!

decaturcomp
10-07-2013, 03:46 PM
the most majorly wonderful closing ceremonies ever!
WOOT!
Congratulations (very deserving even though drawn at random) WInnahs!
Thank you Skidoo and Skidoolettes!!!

10-07-2013, 04:22 PM
that was great! thank you so much for hosting, skidoo!

erivel
10-07-2013, 09:03 PM
Wow, thank you Bill and the Skidoolettes! What a fine week this was...great job everyone!! :)