Mahogany versus Spruce top

JelC50

Reaction score
I'm in the process of building myself a new tenor. Right now I have mahogany sides and bottom, and was planning on putting Spruce on the top. Made the top today and its ready for soundhole and bracing. But I got to thinking if I should just go ahead and build the whole thing out of mahogany. I built a walnut baritone for my son a couple of months ago, and it has a rich 'guitary' sound. But I'm wanting a full up bright ukulele sound on this one. I'm new to this game, so I'm not sure which wood would be better for what I'm looking for. Any advice?????

I agree with Patrick Madsen's assessment.

Spruce and cedar are the most common tops on classical guitars. Both are "punchier" on ukes than mahogany, though it seems mahogany is generally considered more traditional on a uke.

I have six tenors, two each with spruce, cedar and mahogany tops. If you want bright, go for spruce. If you want loud, go for cedar. If you want mellow, go for mahogany.

For a guitar like sound, then go for the top wood of choice for guitars. On your second build don't try and over complicate or over think what has worked for literally millions of instruments. Plenty of time for that on future builds after a bit more experience.

Top Bottom