costco kohala k3-c

bnolsen

Reaction score
I bought one of these to leave in our rental condo on Maui. It hangs on the wall for guests and I leave a simple song book and information for attending local free lessons on Thursdays. I also don't have to take one of my good ukuleles unless I want to, or I can or take my baritone for variety. The Kohala sounds good, although a little quiet and after nearly two years seems nearly indestructible. Then again, maybe none of our guests have picked it up. I do think there are better $100 choices out there but if you want one that will take a licking, the Kohala is a good choice.

I've bought from Walmart and to my Leolani mahog tenor 3 years ago and that deal was the best.....kohala seems to be a lesser brand .....
by the way my leolani came with a foam canvas case, extra aquila strings plus on the uke, a tuner, the tenor uke and basic instructions all for 89.00

Last edited:
I've bought from Walmart and to my Leolani mahog tenor 3 years ago and that deal was the best.....kohala seems to be a lesser brand .....
by the way my leolani came with a foam canvas bag, extra aquila strings plus on the uke, a tuner, the tenor uke and basic instructions all for 89.00

Yes the Leolani's are a good deal too..i like the owners....

i saw a bunch of people with Kohala's...they are nice for the money and come with a canvas case and tuner too...

change the strings s soon as you can and it will sound way better though

I'm not a fan of these aquilas. As noted above the uke is a bit quiet out of the box. I was thinking fluorocarbons would be a nice upgrade.

Yes the Leolani's are a good deal too..i like the owners....

i saw a bunch of people with Kohala's...they are nice for the money and come with a canvas case and tuner too...

change the strings s soon as you can and it will sound way better though

Agree, I picked up a Kohala off Ebay for 50 bucks last year. Was built like a tank. Heavy build, but could definitely take a beating. Took off the Aquila strings immediately and put on a set of Savarez and it sounds great for 50 bucks. I then donated it to Uke for Kids in the Bay Area for some child to enjoy. For the price, it's one heck of a buy especially if you find one used (action was also decent on mine right out of the box too).

I picked up my K2-C from Costco while on a trip earlier this year. It was the last one they had sitting alone on a shelf, so I rescued it. Never had any thoughts about playing ukulele before then. Been very happy with it and enjoying the journey. Definitely needed a string change though.

So this has a tuner but not a actual pickup in it? is this fairly common? never seen it before...i won a kohala kk-c i believe was the model, on ebay for like 30 bucks including shipping a while back. Was surprised how much i enjoyed it. Built like a brick but not in a bad way, its one i throw in the back seat of the truck when i go on camping trips because someones always interested in playing with me and this ones pretty kind to beginners. Nice action, threw some new aquilas on there and she defintely gets the job done :D

Top Bottom