black diamond ukulele strings?

MeltingNinja

Reaction score
Greetings all.

I have purchased new soprano uke strings. But I find it very strange because the thinnest string in the pack is as thick as my current thickest string. Also the strings are very long. I could cut each in half and they would still fit. The last strange thing I've noticed is the string labelling on the pack, it say E(.025) F#(0.32) D(0.36) A(0.28). I've never heard of a tuning like this, the strings are white nylon and the pack specifically says for soprano uke. So are these strings useless or could they still be tuned to sound good?

D'Addario nylon strings are 0.024, 0.032, 0.034, 0.028 for Soprano. My tenor nylon set is even thicker 0.029, 0.0327, 0.041, 0.029
Nylon strings are thick :)
Not like the fluorocarbon strings like 0.02, 0.026, 0.029, 0.02 thin (just an example)
Sound good or not, it is up to your preference :D

Last edited:
Greetings all.

I have purchased new soprano uke strings. But I find it very strange because the thinnest string in the pack is as thick as my current thickest string. Also the strings are very long. I could cut each in half and they would still fit. The last strange thing I've noticed is the string labelling on the pack, it say E(.025) F#(0.32) D(0.36) A(0.28). I've never heard of a tuning like this, the strings are white nylon and the pack specifically says for soprano uke. So are these strings useless or could they still be tuned to sound good?

If the E was a B, I'd say it was standard Hawaiian D Tuning. Giving that it's not, I'm going to wager that they went by the gauges and are using nylon singles that are packaged for other instruments as well (that have different tuning and length). It's easier to have a longer string to use for a bunch of instruments over keeping umpteen amounts of singles lying around of the same string, just in different lengths.

For the nylon gauges, that's standard. Our H-10 set is .025-.032-.036-.028 as well, so you will be fine with standard tuning of that set.

Greetings all.

Are you sure it is E F# D A ?
B F# D A is a standard tuning.
It may be easier to see it ADF#B, one step up from GCEA.

Top Bottom