the neck

chuck in ny

Reaction score
i wonder what the issues are for most players with the neck, how you like things to be.
i am a man with an 'L' size hand about size 9. i prefer the feel of a thicker neck,,, but also think that it's important to be able to adjust to what you have in your hands.
i'd like to know how experienced players relate to neck feel.
nits, hey?

I don't think the size of your hands matter that much when it comes with ukuleles...

I have a collection that range from couple of pocket ukuleles to a couple of classical guitars. and part of the fun, is to be able to play the same tune on any sized uke...

I think it also help me feel more "free" with music to not be tied down to a particular instrument\size...

And it is amazing my hand can adjust from an 11" scale pocket uke to a 25+" scale of a classical guitar. both for barre chords, to large spreads as much as 6 or 7 frets on the guitar...

Same with the right hand, where the finger can pluck the particular string regardless of the width of the nut.... in fact, I just got a 5 string uke that has a high\low g right next to each other, and it's not too hard to pluck either string by itself even though they are about 1/4" apart.

All this comes with time, finger independence, some different sized instruments available to you and of course a lot of practice and fun along the way.

Last edited:
Good reply Olarte, but if you are new to the uke, frustrations crop up along the way. I've been down that road, and it does come with time as you mentioned. Chuck in ny "take the pain" ;)

I believe for some esp women and smaller hands and shorter fingers, it does to a certain extent when first starting off....eventually your hands and fingers will get used to a little thicker neck profile but stay within 1 3/8" nut...slim and a narrower faster profile really helps with shorter fingers...for some starters, they force things and practice at longer period which leads to
hand and wrist injuries...and stay within the first chord position until you feel comfortable....as always, try before you buy senerio.....in sound and comfort and playability... :)

Last edited:
I always recommend folks join a uke club if they can and try as many of the members ukes as possible. Combined with what's available in local stores, the more you hold and play, the clearer neck issues will be.

oh I agree, that's why I mentioned having fun along the way.

My point is though to find an instrument that is comfortable to begin with but then to let time\practice take its course and not be afraid to experiment with other sized instruments. In fact the Uke is wonderful in that sense from the different scale lengths to the body shapes\sizes to the high\low G option and even the 5 string uke with both high\low...

I have one classical guitar that I play and a wall ukes to have a whole lot of fun with.:rock:

Good reply Olarte, but if you are new to the uke, frustrations crop up along the way. I've been down that road, and it does come with time as you mentioned. Chuck in ny "take the pain" ;)

good advice olarte. i feel basically this way, to practice and to adjust to the instrument and acquire some game. that said i will probably gravitate to more ample necks. it's a lot of fun.

After playing stringed instruments for 55 years, I like a thin, low actioned fast neck with a radiused fretboard. For me, the radius really helps with the bone spurs and arthritis that's developing. The best necks I've played on so far has been the vintage Martin baritone and my Moore Bettah. I prefer a C shaped neck over a D shaped nek also.

Top Bottom