WTB: Acoustic/Electric ukulele

DWitt

Reaction score
Well, I figure it's time for me to try plugging in, and Butler Music has a couple really good deals right now. But, before I buy anything, I thought it would be worth it to post here to see if anybody's looking to move an electric ukulele—or just to ask for advice!

If you've got an a/e ukulele you're looking to sell, please let me know! I'm not too into sopranos, and my price point is, unfortunately, pretty low. Anything above $200 is going to make me start to feel a little queasy (but I can handle feeling a little uncomfortable, if it's called for), and anything above $300 is going to give me some real gnawing turmoil (so that's not as comfortable, even if it's a really good deal). 6-string would be a plus, but, yeah, not likely at this price point.

For anyone who'd like to engage in UAS by proxy, uninteresting details are below. Advice is absolutely welcome.

------

Still reading? I'm going to just start thinking out loud here, so don't expect anything interesting.

Butler Music on Ebay has a few things on sale right now:
Lanikai solid Monkeypod A/E blem tenors at $127
Lanikai solid Monkeypod A/E (non-blem) tenors at $214
Lanikai Quilt Ash (solid spruce top) A/E (non-blem) concerts, setup, at $130
Lanikai Quilt Ash (solid spruce top) A/E (non-blem) tenors, setup, at $194
Lanikai solid Mahogany A/E (non-blem) concerts, setup, at $139.
Lanikai solid Mahogany A/E (non-blem) tenors, setup, at $169.

So there are some good deals there. For A/E 6-strings, the cheapest solid-top option I can find is a Lanikai O-6E at $273, which is tempting, but ugh I'm not sure. There's also a Mainland solid mahogany tenor with acoustic pickup over at the Flea Market marketplace for $265+shipping. Obviously a good deal . . . but still over twice as much as a solid monkeypod A/E blem tenor. So that's hard to weigh . . .

NAS Breezy Point. Lotsa great memories. Never saw a Sailors and dogs keep off the grass sign, as was rumoured to exist.

I have an Oscar Schmidt OU 5 EL made of koa. The new retail price is pushing $400, but this one came to me on a trade. It is in extremely good shape. She traded for an acoustic Long Neck Soprano. It has a padded bag with it. Price is $245, and probably $15.00 shipping.

It is an unfair comparison to the one I already have to make a comparison...but if I did not have a Giannini 10 EL with a rosewood body, I would have been quite content to have kept this on with its sounds and looks

If you are talking ADGCEA as a six string, they are a lot of fun. However, if you are talking of two strings as singles, and two as doubles, the novelty wears off very quickly. Picking is a mess because of the single- double difference. Strictly for strumming, it's still a pain to have some notes emphasised and other lacking.

I've heard from others who like the fullness of the 6- and 8-strings, and who say the difference in picking is no big deal. Now, I wouldn't be the least surprised if you were right, but I'd like to try it out for myself. Thanks for the input on it! I just wish there was someplace nearby that actually had a 6- or 8-string I could try out . . . but there isn't.

Thanks also for posting your OU5! I think, since there are decent solid-top or all-solid instruments in my price range, I'm inclined to go with a solid- rather than a laminate-top. I'm still not sure whether the solid wood thing really makes sense, or if it's just a desire for authenticity or something. I have a cheap laminate bari (LU-21B) that sounds great! But given the choice, I'd rather go with the solid wood.

Just to let you know I have purchased 3 items from Butler music and I think these guys are top shelf .I bought 1 of those mokeypod E/A tenors and love it ! I paid 170$ plus shipping and could not be happier with it . The blems are minor and butler was right on with there description of the blems . Also bought a guitar and a nice tenor hard case all great deals . So if you go with Butler I think your in good hands . And no you can't have my Tenor :) Good luck .

Top Bottom