Thrift shop find

dave g

Reaction score
Look what my daughter Roz found:

DSCF2991.JPG

It's a Gibson soprano, model UKE-1, serial number 7660 35 (serial number stamped on the heel of the neck, inside). It's got the original case, booklet, pitch pipe, an extra set of strings (which I assume are contemporary), plus the original sales receipt from Lazarus department store (now defunct) dated Sept. 8, 1952. $24.72 :)

We're thinking that it was messed around with for a short time, then put back in the case and forgotten about for the next 60 years. It was obviously not stored in the attic as there are no cracks in any of the wood. The top-to-body glue joint failed back at the tail, but I've repaired it (with hide glue) and you really can't tell. The finish is excellent, no nicks or dents anywhere. I have no idea how things like this are rated, but I'd give it a 9.5 out of 10.

This evening I've put a set of Aquila "New Nylgut" strings on it and carefully adjusted the action a bit at the nut. It sounds and plays a lot better now :).

She's curious what it's worth... Any ideas?

This must be one of the all time best uke finds...holy moly...holy grail uke...congrats..why can't I get lucky like this...shoots.. thank you for sharing dave.. :)

Wow that is lovely! What a score.

I'll give you $50 for it plus shipping! you can double your money!

WOW Congrats...

Congrats WTG!

I think she paid about $160 for it. She's got no intention of selling it :)

What a cool find!

Every Saturday morning I set out to walk and find yard sales. I have yet to find a single uke for sale, let alone a treasure like that, but sometimes I find something I can use. Mostly, though, it's more about getting out of the house and walking.

But I can still dream that my next excursion will yield something special. :)

She got a great deal! I would put that uke at about 4-500! Enjoy, and make it sing again!

A steal! Man, do you know how many of us spend years, and years, and...............looking for a deal like that at yard sales and thrift shops?
My Son got an early 1900's Martin O for $17 at a yard sale once. A UU member traded him for it and had it restored. Congrats....you don't even have to have it restored.

I am glad to hear they are still out there. It gives the rest of us hope!

Top Bottom