Buy a new amp? or a small mixing board?

Sporin

Reaction score
I have a small Line6 Amp but it's only 1 channel. Sounds good, nice effects when I want, quiet when I don't, loud enough.

I'd like to turn this into a simple live gig setup by adding a mic. Would I be better off to buy a 2 channel amp? Or should I just get a simple board instead?

Bonus with a board would be one I could use to do podcast recording into my Mac? (USB?)

Thoughts? Suggestions? Budgets are small, want to make the most of what I have if I can.

Behringer Xenyx 802 Premium 8-Input 2-Bus Mixer with Xenyx Mic Preamps and British EQs

Looking at a Shure SM58 mic to go with this. Goals are modest, church coffee house, in home setup, etc.

Thanks!

Another option would be a small PA like the Roland CM-30 which takes a mic and several other inputs. I assume you want the mic for singing, so you probably don't want your vocals and uke going to the same guitar amp cabinet. You could run the mic directly into the CM-30, the uke into the Line6 amp and from their into the C-30.

They do two different things. An amp is self contained and has the speakers to make the noise all in one unit. If you get a mixer you have to get an external speaker or two. That's more money and things to carry. A mixer has more room to expand though and if you get one with USB you can record. I'd probably be temped to go with a decent little amp or a self contained PA like Jim recommended. See if anybody you know has some gear you can play with. You'll find out really quick what you need/want just by putting in some time setting up and twisting knobs.

I think the simplest, most versatile PA system you can buy is one mixing board and one powered speaker. You can add another powered speaker or 3 depending on your budget and requirements. Its a simpler and easier setup than a power amp and unpowered speakers and you don't have to worry about any power amp/speaker mis matches.
Behringer's small mixers work just fine and have very few complaints against them and as you already know you can use them for podcasting. Personally I find that a Behringer XM8500 microphone is just as good as a shure SM-58 if not better at a third of the price. I also have a Behringer 10" powered speaker which is just fine for many situations.

Anthony

I use the Behringer 802 mixer and Shure SM58 directly into a Fishman Soloamp. I put the mixer on a little shelf that clamps to the mic stand. Works great and I like having total control of the uke eq, voice eq and mix right at my finger tips.

Top Bottom