Next and Last Ukulele

mangorockfish

Reaction score
I have a Mainland mahogany concert and tenor and a Koa Big Island tenor and a red Dolphin. After playing the Dolphin almost exclusively for a year, I have come to the realization that I prefer sopranos. I love all of my ukes, but think it is time to acquire a nice LOUD soprano which will probably be my last uke purchase. What is your opinion as to the loudest soprano out there? I know strings has a lot to do with it also, so I guess we're talking uke and strings both. I really would love a custom, but not into the long wait most of them have. Thanks in advance for your input.

LOUD, awesome, and affordable = Ken Timms Style O

Post a WTB (want to buy) in the market place.

A KoAloha. Even if I play softly my soprano is loud and I've changed strings more than once. I don't play it much because of that. Mine is a longneck which might make a difference.

My daughter plays a KoAloha Pikake Concert and it's LOUD. Has worth Browns on it and sounds great. Have heard the sopranos are just as loud.

Vintage Martin O. I'll put it against "anything"

loud can mean brash or tinny sounding too.....you probally mean most volume and sweetness... big difference... Oasis helps....

Agree with the Koaloha recommendations - I had a Pikake Soprano when I first was learning to play, and I always felt it was almost *too* loud :)

As for strings - I've tried a bunch, in attempting to get the most volume out of my sopranos as I can without amplification, and D'Addario Nyltechs seem to be the loudest. I think the recommendation came out of this discussion, which might interest you.

Check out the Kiwaya KTS-3... rich, loud, open sound akin to the vintage Martins, without the vintage Martin price. They're a Japanese maker with that beautiful eye for detail and craft.

There's a wonderful Black Bear soprano on sale in the Marketplace section. Check it out!

My Mele koa top/hog body is a cannon. Super lightweight, super loud. I know the same to be true of koaloha even though I don't own one.

no disrespect meant.....but last???
really the last one?......i bought my "last one" 40 years ago and have been buying my last one once or twice a year since then

but just gotta say out of all of them any of the early 20's or late teens martin style 0's with wood pegs are hard to beat

Last edited:
Another vote for a Timms.

And since it seems to be a showdown between that and a KoAloha, I (humbly) submit the following: Koaloha owners feel free to send their ukes to MA for a side-by-side comparison.

I just want to say congratulations on deciding on what size uke you want to settle on. I started at concert, went to soprano, back to concert and have been playing a boat paddle tenor for the last few months. Just when I think I have decided, I end up liking another. If I was to throw my 2 cents in (and I will :) ) I love the sound of my sailor soprano with mahogany top and eucalyptus back and sides. It has punch and volume and a more affordable price tag.

KoAloha, I have four and can see getting another. There are lots of great tenors around, but for concerts I would go for a KoAloha. Never played a Timms, but came very close to buying one the other day.

Top Bottom