PDA

View Full Version : Adventure Ukulele Contest!

bornagainjeeper
01-14-2009, 06:05 PM
Alright folks... I'm a relative newcomer to UU BUT its time to get things moving...

As winter will eventually blow its way out, and we prepare ourselves to get outdoors again, i think it is only fitting to have a ukulele contest to celebrate. The rules...

+You must play a ukulele in the video

+Any song may be used

+You must be participating in an outdoor activity (Hiking, Climbing, Biking, Canoing, running,hunting, fishing, flying a kite, chasing squirrels ect.)

+You must say "I'm here because the Born Again Jeeper sent me" at the start of you video and acknowledge that it is for the "Adventure Ukulele Contest"

+It must be your own work, but certainly friends and family can be used.

UPDATE CONTEST NOW ENDS APRIL 7!!! some people expressed that they needed just a little more time...and since i'm a nice guy....april 7th is it NOW LETS GET THOSE ENTRIES IN

+Videos must be posted to youtube

+Submit entries by sending me a personal message at bornagainjeeper on youtube or posting a tread with a link here I will post the entries for all to see as they come in

Criteria for VICTORY!: FIRST AND FOREMOST creativity in song selection and video topic. Also important: vocal and uke talent.

1st Prize! Being the poor college student I am, my prizes can't compare to moneybags deach...HOWEVER...i do make and paint custom didgerioos. The winner can select the key and suggest a design (i don't paint THAT well haha) ALSO FIRST PLACE WILL WIN....Originally Posted by provines
"I'm going to help BornAgainJeepers out with the prizes. I'm tossing in a copy of Jim Beloff's The Joy of Uke Volume one and a copy of Jim's The Joy of Uke 2 on DVD. Retail Value..... around 49.95. I'll let Jeepers decide who gets this great prize."

2nd. Prize will receive a nalgene bottle with funny sticker preapplied

3rd Prize will Receive their choice of a Lock of my hair, or a paperclip bent into the shape of a ukulele (i wonder what Lisaxy will choose?! is it possible strategically aim for 3rd lisa?)

Anyway have fun with this...i would be very excited to have more than 2 entries!

The following are examples of videos that would qualify (if properly introduced)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXx0xTDpoDw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-niSERoOk3E&feature=channel_page

Entries!
1. Uke and a sailboat in the VI WOO http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1heMV6fhXo
2. Uke and Jeeping (suck up!) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aCO_dgoS1c
3. Uke Hike http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCiB6Bvrw6g
4. Ukin' round the ol pond http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcZL79oJy8A&feature=response_watch
5. Uke-F-O adventue http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rsp5n6TV1qY
6. Uke and Jeep tour/ boat adventure http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6IbPJ6nauI

RON<>VA
01-14-2009, 06:16 PM
"+You must be participating in an outdoor activity (Hiking, Climbing, Biking, Canoing, running,hunting, fishing, flying a kite, chasing squirrels ect.)"

Would skinny dipping while playing the uke be acceptable?
How about it Deach?

bornagainjeeper
01-14-2009, 07:03 PM
"+You must be participating in an outdoor activity (Hiking, Climbing, Biking, Canoing, running,hunting, fishing, flying a kite, chasing squirrels ect.)"

How about it Deach?

Completely acceptable...however...i stumbled across a weird statute in the rules that i don't even fully understand that says "And Skinny Dipping mae be thine choice vnless thine name be Deach"

ANYTHING that shows love for the outdoors counts...skinny dipping, gardening, walking your pet marmots..

Captain Google
01-14-2009, 07:29 PM
Am I correct in assuming that instrumentals are not allowed?

bornagainjeeper
01-14-2009, 07:34 PM
Am I correct in assuming that instrumentals are not allowed?

Instrumentals are entirely legal...just be entertaining...creativity is a just...just rock those 4 strings...

Link
01-14-2009, 07:49 PM
This is an awesome contest, BAJ. I'm all over this as soon as possible.

Captain Google
01-14-2009, 07:49 PM
Alright, then. I'll see what I can do.

Here's hoping I can master roma-style ukulele in time...

SamWise
01-14-2009, 11:04 PM
I'm in, probably. I'll think of SOMEthing!

deach
01-15-2009, 12:26 AM

How about it Deach?

It's kinda cold out to be skinny dipping. Any more shrinkage and I'd be an innie.

HaileISela
01-15-2009, 12:35 AM
wow, 1st of april, I wonder if there'll be a day in between warm enough to do anything outside...

I hate Germany!

bornagainjeeper
01-15-2009, 05:19 AM
It's kinda cold out to be skinny dipping. Any more shrinkage and I'd be an innie.

belly buttons don't shrink...hey...wait a minute....uh oh...

HaileISela
01-15-2009, 05:43 AM
belly buttons don't shrink...hey...wait a minute....uh oh...

hahaha: "phhhhhooooomp"

^^

RadRenee
01-15-2009, 05:57 AM
TWO THINGS

One. April 1 is not Groundhog's day, but I assume you don't mean the deadline is Feb. 2?

TWO
This contest is awesome.

I can't sing to save my life, and I still play the uke poorly, but I think I might just enter for the fun of it! I got until April to learn a creative song . . hm.

haole
01-15-2009, 05:57 AM
Can my outdoor activity be cringing and shuddering behind a tree while trying to rid my mind of that mental image? :eek:

Awesome contest idea. And I would gladly humiliate myself outdoors for a shot at another didgeridoo!

Nurdaben
01-15-2009, 06:02 AM
Health benefits
A 2005 study in the British Medical Journal found that learning and practising the didgeridoo helped reduce snoring and sleep apnea, as well as daytime sleepiness. This appears to work by strengthening muscles in the upper airway, thus reducing their tendency to collapse during sleep.[9]

my wife will demand i enter this contest if she sees this =P

Captain Google
01-15-2009, 06:14 AM
...April 1 is not Groundhog's day,

Given the nature of 1 April, it could be. ;)

ukulelemotion
01-15-2009, 07:55 AM
count me in! this seems like fun.. JUST UKE IT.

bornagainjeeper
01-15-2009, 12:01 PM
Given the nature of 1 April, it could be. ;)

ahhh yes someone finally caught on, i better change it though its creatiting confussion

bornagainjeeper
01-17-2009, 06:20 PM
This is an awesome contest, BAJ. I'm all over this as soon as possible.

I look forward to it!...Hopefully you are intoxicated and trying to fly a kite or something...i expect good things from you

MiaRosie
01-18-2009, 10:58 AM
skinny dipping ??

I don't skinny dip -
I chunky dunk

HumbleSounds
01-18-2009, 11:56 AM
Awesome Idea! Can't wait to see what people come up with.

What do you make your didgeridoos out of?

Bassukuguy
01-18-2009, 12:10 PM
@BAJ
just realized you were in the C-dale, im from SoIl too. they dont have any uke shops down there do they? cause there is nothing up here... its fairly lamesauce...

tying to think the next time i can get to Garden of the Gods to take an adventure!

bornagainjeeper
01-18-2009, 12:19 PM
Awesome Idea! Can't wait to see what people come up with.

What do you make your didgeridoos out of?

PVC pipe...not only is it cheaper and easy to work with, it has a much better sound than you would think...cant compare to eucalytus but in my opinion is resonates better than Bamboo, teak, and agave...at a fraction of the price...I also apply a traditional beeswax mouthpiece

bornagainjeeper
01-18-2009, 12:21 PM
@BAJ
just realized you were in the C-dale, im from SoIl too. they dont have any uke shops down there do they? cause there is nothing up here... its fairly lamesauce...

tying to think the next time i can get to Garden of the Gods to take an adventure!

sadly no uke shops...there are a fair amount of crappy ukes at Soundcore music *where i got my first two* and right now the guitar shop on the square has a 1930's era vintage martin uke...they want 650 for it...it plays like a dream but has a few worrysome cracks...I'm also an outdoor trip leader and garden of the gods is certainly a beautiful area, i know it like the back of my hand...i could give you some suggestions for camp spots if you don't have a favorite already

HumbleSounds
01-18-2009, 01:57 PM
PVC pipe...not only is it cheaper and easy to work with, it has a much better sound than you would think...cant compare to eucalytus but in my opinion is resonates better than Bamboo, teak, and agave...at a fraction of the price...I also apply a traditional beeswax mouthpiece

Cool, I have played all of the above. I have a bamboo didg, and a pvc didg in WA. The bamboo didgs are supper easy to make but the sound quality can be inconsistent between different peices of bamboo. Haven't tried making one out of pvc yet. Do you have any videos where you showcase a didgeridoo?

bornagainjeeper
01-18-2009, 02:07 PM
Cool, I have played all of the above. I have a bamboo didg, and a pvc didg in WA. The bamboo didgs are supper easy to make but the sound quality can be inconsistent between different peices of bamboo. Haven't tried making one out of pvc yet. Do you have any videos where you showcase a didgeridoo?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB_K95kgsbQ&feature=channel_page

There is one in that video and at the end i show it... PVC is real easy to make them out of...get yourself a heat gun for stripping paint...and just heat it up (go kinda slowly and try not to toast the plastic) then just put some minor bends in it...the more wiggles the easier it will be to play because it has more backpressure...it also effects the tone... To make a bell, which helps projection, heat up the bottom and slowly work it down around a glass bottle like wine or something (i use pompeii olive oil bottles usually) if you go to fast it will tear, but that makes it look like its a tree limb like the one i have in the video.

Bamboo also has the problem of easily splitting in humidity, i've repaired many a bamboo didge. to me they also sound airy and weak, like playing through a cardboard pipe because they are so light...I really do prefer PVC to everything but euc... i've also experiemented with heating up a bunch of nails and bolts and throwing them down the tube over and over again to make dimples and divits in the plastic to be more like the rough inside of a euc didge...but it didn't seem to do a whole lot and took forever...

UkuLeLesReggAe
01-19-2009, 03:21 AM
hmmm... didgerioos
that will go perfect in my country... i always wanted to play 1... but they would be hard i think ?:S

bornagainjeeper
01-19-2009, 07:23 PM
hmmm... didgerioos
that will go perfect in my country... i always wanted to play 1... but they would be hard i think ?:S

not too hard really...it only plays one note..and its fairly easy to make most of the sounds...the circular breathing is the hard part...but it just comes with practicing the right way....i learned by blowing bubbles in a glass with a straw

lisaxy424
01-21-2009, 04:46 AM

...I just threw up in my mouth a little...

:rofl:

lisaxy424
01-21-2009, 04:48 AM
skinny dipping ??

I don't skinny dip -
I chunky dunk

That should be an Olympic sport!

lisaxy424
01-21-2009, 04:50 AM
Alex, if I win this didgeridoo, I'm going to want you to paint yourself painting a didgeridoo painting a didgeridoo.

Just a heads up... ;)

bornagainjeeper
01-21-2009, 06:52 AM
Alex, if I win this didgeridoo, I'm going to want you to paint yourself painting a didgeridoo painting a didgeridoo.

Just a heads up... ;)

can do! hunny bear

bornagainjeeper
01-21-2009, 06:53 AM
That should be an Olympic sport!

ALEX FOR THE GOLD..."OH SAY CAN YOU SEEEEE" ::crying better than Phelps:: :D

provines
01-21-2009, 08:10 AM
Man, I wish I could skydive. Wouldn't that be awesome.

UkEdman90
01-21-2009, 08:15 AM

ur not 18? man skydiving is the best! ive got three jumps under my belt haha not many but way cool!

bornagainjeeper
01-21-2009, 10:21 AM

just buy a crappy uke and duct tape it to yourself...don't forget to open that chute now.!!! hahaha i'm sure you'll think of something creative without jumping out of planes...

lisaxy424
01-21-2009, 12:19 PM
ALEX FOR THE GOLD..."OH SAY CAN YOU SEEEEE" ::crying better than Phelps:: :D

LMAO - of course, the attire would be Speedo thongs too...

thejumpingflea
01-21-2009, 12:22 PM
Now if only I could barefoot waterski....

provines
01-28-2009, 03:57 PM
I'm going to help BornAgainJeepers out with the prizes. I'm tossing in a copy of Jim Beloff's The Joy of Uke Volume one and a copy of Jim's The Joy of Uke 2 on DVD. Retail Value..... around 49.95. I'll let Jeepers decide who gets this great prize.

bornagainjeeper
01-28-2009, 04:05 PM
I'm going to help BornAgainJeepers out with the prizes. I'm tossing in a copy of Jim Beloff's The Joy of Uke Volume one and a copy of Jim's The Joy of Uke 2 on DVD. Retail Value..... around 49.95. I'll let Jeepers decide who gets this great prize.

WOW thats a bunch man looks like i'll just havta win this contest, great prize! only joking

provines
01-28-2009, 04:30 PM
ur not 18? man skydiving is the best! ive got three jumps under my belt haha not many but way cool!

My problem is that I'm like 18 times PI. I'd break my hip and then who'd take care of me? I'm not moving in with Deach.

provines
01-28-2009, 04:53 PM
This is my baby. http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=840&stc=1&d=1233201106
It has a uke rack on the back.

GrumpyCoyote
01-30-2009, 07:16 PM
Oh man - here in the NW March and April SUCK. I'll do it - but it may be July before I can get out there!

bornagainjeeper
02-06-2009, 08:29 AM
Oh man - here in the NW March and April SUCK. I'll do it - but it may be July before I can get out there!

do what you can, just rock out on that uke in the woods

njarugby
02-06-2009, 01:24 PM
This can be like the extreme ironing contests...but extreme uke'ing!

provines
02-11-2009, 05:39 PM
Here's proof that there is someone who sings worse than Deach....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aCO_dgoS1c

Captain Google
02-11-2009, 05:48 PM

That's not bad at all! :rock:

RON<>VA
02-11-2009, 05:49 PM

Look like you had a bunch of fun making that video, David. Very nice!

MisoHappy
02-11-2009, 05:59 PM

I saw an episode on tv, where da guy was giving instructions on how to skydive and he goes:

K here's how it happens, first you
Squat,
Pray,
Leap, say
"Aaaaaaah!" and then,
Touchdown!

And the skydiver realizes, "Hey, that spells SPLAT!"

Bluke
02-11-2009, 06:50 PM
No, thanks.

Born again?!?!

provines
02-12-2009, 03:05 AM
No, thanks.

Born again?!?!

I believe BornAgainJeepers gets his name from John 3:3 - In reply Jesus declared, "I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again." Jesus was speaking to Nicodemus as Nicodemus was trying to wrap his mind around who Jesus is. It's really cool if you dig into the meaning of the original greek but in a nutshell if you really want to turn your life around you have to let God do it. Just as a baby has no active role in being born, they are essentially just a passenger, you can't do anything to actively give your life over to God but accept His gift. There's a bunch of stuff on the web on this. :shaka:

provines
02-12-2009, 03:08 AM
I saw an episode on tv, where da guy was giving instructions on how to skydive and he goes:

K here's how it happens, first you
Squat,
Pray,
Leap, say
"Aaaaaaah!" and then,
Touchdown!

And the skydiver realizes, "Hey, that spells SPLAT!"

That was on Drake and Josh. I love that show. With my kids, our television stays tuned to the Disney Channel. I also love iCarley.

broku
02-12-2009, 04:47 AM
Could anyone tell me if my uke would get seriously damaged if i ski with it:D?
(Very high speeds will be reached)
Also, i'm gonna need a good song:p!

deach
02-12-2009, 04:56 AM
I believe BornAgainJeepers gets his name from John 3:3 - In reply Jesus declared, "I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again." Jesus was speaking to Nicodemus as Nicodemus was trying to wrap his mind around who Jesus is. It's really cool if you dig into the meaning of the original greek but in a nutshell if you really want to turn your life around you have to let God do it. Just as a baby has no active role in being born, they are essentially just a passenger, you can't do anything to actively give your life over to God but accept His gift. There's a bunch of stuff on the web on this. :shaka:

He actually got it because of his Jeep and has no religious significance. He explained it somewhere but I Am BornAgainLazy so I'll wait for him to see this and reply himself.

bornagainjeeper
02-14-2009, 04:53 AM

GREAT WORK...you did a great job with the idea of this contest! thanks for you submission

bornagainjeeper
02-14-2009, 04:59 AM

deach was right...no religious significance...actually not even christian m'self...though i do like the philosophy behind your post and i do feel like we are just passengers on the journey of life...therefor i would just want to be in a jeep with the top down...BUT its because i was stuck driving a minivan for like 5 years until the transmission XPLOADED and as i was pushing it up a hill to a parking lot i said to my friend...."i'm getting a jeep outta this one" and 2 weeks later i was driving a beautiful jeep cherokee....

oh and btw GREAT video! i assume that song is original...catchy stuff!

bornagainjeeper
02-14-2009, 05:01 AM
Could anyone tell me if my uke would get seriously damaged if i ski with it:D?
(Very high speeds will be reached)
Also, i'm gonna need a good song:p!

just a guess, but i'd say YES very damaged...You don't need to be playing WHILE doing the activity...or at least not while going down hill...it'd be nice to see some uke strummin but it'd be fine on the bottom of the run...or just borrow a uke and break that one instead. look forward to a good skiin' video though

provines
02-15-2009, 03:29 PM
oh and btw GREAT video! i assume that song is original...catchy stuff![/QUOTE]

Why yes it is original. Thanks.

bornagainjeeper
03-04-2009, 10:53 AM
It is 60 degrees out today, with 70's to follow this week...TIME GET GET OUT AND ADVENTURE UKE EVERYONE! looking forward to the coming entries...

bornagainjeeper
03-08-2009, 06:36 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ4xt_eg4SI&feature=channel_page

bornagainjeeper
03-16-2009, 09:05 PM
THe contest now ends april 7 people expressed that they needed just a wee bit more time...get out there and get some entries in folks!

Ken Middleton
03-30-2009, 04:01 AM
You'll find my entry here:

BLACK FIRS - an experiment in minimalism (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCiB6Bvrw6g)

Don't forget to put in your entry by April 7th.

Enjoy.

bornagainjeeper
04-01-2009, 11:54 AM
Thanks Ken great entry! really enjoy the uke on the tree part and the video shots of you work great

UkEdman90
04-01-2009, 12:15 PM
DAMN KEN! amazing!! its on my ipod :D

lisaxy424
04-01-2009, 12:36 PM
Not nearly as pretty as the other entries...

...But TWICE AS SCARY!

CLICK IF YOU DARE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rsp5n6TV1qY) for this outdoor ukulele ADVENTURE!

lisaxy424
04-01-2009, 03:36 PM
5. Uke-F-O adventure http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rsp5n6TV1qY

BRILLIANT!

If only I had the Jeeper's wit... ;)

Captain Google
04-01-2009, 04:16 PM
BRILLIANT!

If only I had the Jeeper's wit... ;)

Yeah, but when the wit hits the fan...

lisaxy424
04-01-2009, 05:44 PM
Yeah, but when the wit hits the fan...

wha...I see what you did there Google! You witty bastard ;)

KatNaso
04-02-2009, 04:13 AM
Not nearly as pretty as the other entries...

...But TWICE AS SCARY!

CLICK IF YOU DARE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rsp5n6TV1qY) for this outdoor ukulele ADVENTURE!

whhaaatt iiis iiiit?!?

(seriously, i can't tell what the heck that thing is)

lisaxy424
04-02-2009, 04:16 AM
whhaaatt iiis iiiit?!?

(seriously, i can't tell what the heck that thing is)

LMAO! I still don't know for sure...JT said it looked like the inside of a monitor or TV...but when I asked him how it got there, his answer was plain and simple...

ALIENS! :p

Ken Middleton
04-02-2009, 04:49 AM
DAMN KEN! amazing!! its on my ipod :D

Thanks very much.

dominicfoundthemooon
04-02-2009, 04:59 AM
okay.. so i have been thinking about this outdoor adventure.. and i am not a CAMPER.. i do not like the woods... i do not rid a mountain bike.. i live in the CITY.. i do not like to leave the city.. i might hit a park every now and again.. but here in the midwest.. it is not picnic weather just yet.. so hummm could city exploration be an "out door adventure" the due date is coming up fast.. so i was thinking about doing something in the city!! would this be okay.. my outdoor adventure tomorrow night is walking the streets of Kansas City for first friday art shows.. drinking.. street music.. other madness.. humm that might be an "OUTDOOR" adventure.. what do you think jeeps..
d

bornagainjeeper
04-02-2009, 05:23 AM
okay.. so i have been thinking about this outdoor adventure.. and i am not a CAMPER.. i do not like the woods... i do not rid a mountain bike.. i live in the CITY.. i do not like to leave the city.. i might hit a park every now and again.. but here in the midwest.. it is not picnic weather just yet.. so hummm could city exploration be an "out door adventure" the due date is coming up fast.. so i was thinking about doing something in the city!! would this be okay.. my outdoor adventure tomorrow night is walking the streets of Kansas City for first friday art shows.. drinking.. street music.. other madness.. humm that might be an "OUTDOOR" adventure.. what do you think jeeps..
d

After reading the book "Last child in the woods" i've gained an understanding that "outdoor" adventure is very different to many people, and we all gain from any interaction with the real physical world...that is to say...not watching videos on youtube....so yes of course it is outdoor....

SailQwest
04-02-2009, 05:31 AM
UPDATE CONTEST NOW ENDS APRIL 7!!! some people expressed that they needed just a little more time...and since i'm a nice guy....april 7th is it NOW LETS GET THOSE ENTRIES IN

LOL!!! Yeah, 2-1/2 months just isn't enough time... That extra week with probably make all the difference in the world!

deach
04-02-2009, 05:57 AM
LOL!!! Yeah, 2-1/2 months just isn't enough time... That extra week with probably make all the difference in the world!

LOLz !

lisaxy424
04-02-2009, 07:34 AM

LOL! Well, seeing that all the snow just melted last week - there was NO WAY I was snow-uke'n in -10 degree temps! :p So that extra time actually did help me out! :D

SailQwest
04-02-2009, 07:41 AM
LOL! Well, seeing that all the snow just melted last week - there was NO WAY I was snow-uke'n in -10 degree temps! :p So that extra time actually did help me out! :D

Whoops! I keep forgetting that some people have "winter." :o

lisaxy424
04-02-2009, 08:05 AM
Whoops! I keep forgetting that some people have "winter." :o

LOL!! So unfair!! :) I loved watching your videos in the last few months, it gave me hope as I was bundled in 7 different layers :p

Yopparai
04-05-2009, 03:16 AM
Ok! Here is my entry. The wind really chewed up the audio.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6IbPJ6nauI

bornagainjeeper
04-05-2009, 07:50 AM
great entry! i love the little jeep action

bornagainjeeper
04-06-2009, 08:53 AM
THIS IS THE FINALLLLLLLLL DAY FOR ENTRIES...ALL DUE BY 12 AM whatever your local time is...haha I will check it at 10am tommarow when i get up...Results will announced likely on friday, sorry for the delay but i've gotta get time to put a nice video together and buy a tux

UKISOCIETY
04-06-2009, 09:17 AM
THIS IS THE FINALLLLLLLLL DAY FOR ENTRIES...ALL DUE BY 12 AM whatever your local time is...haha I will check it at 10am tommarow when i get up...Results will announced likely on friday, sorry for the delay but i've gotta get time to put a nice video together and buy a tux

My skydive is scheduled for 5 o'clock.

bornagainjeeper
04-10-2009, 07:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8ol7PkXssk&feature=channel_page

thanks everyone for entering