JazzBox tenor, a pretty cool uke

Doc_J

Reaction score
Just took delivery of a slightly used JazzBox tenor (spruce top with mahogany back/sides). It's a pretty interesting uke. The JazzBox tenor is an arched top and back. I've never had an archtop before, didn't know what to expect. The look, feel, and sound are to my liking. It has (what I believe) are Worth CT lowG strings (the non-wound G is Worth thing). While I think its terrific it might do better with a wound G, and maybe wound C, too.

Anyways here's some pics and quick sound sample with the Worth Low G strings. It has a super heavy duty custom case too.

Sound sample: https://app.box.com/s/s90c18x1o46p3692i8ca

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Gorgeous! and sounds great too!

Congrats ! It's great to see another jazz box in good hands. I love mine too.

Looks great. Action looks super high though. Or is that optical illusion?

Congrats ! It's great to see another jazz box in good hands. I love mine too.

Thanks Pawel.

I had to try one after listening to the wonderful video of you playing "Georgia on My Mind" on your Jazz Box tenor.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?81117-Georgia-on-My-Mind-solo-ukulele-arrangement

Looks great. Action looks super high though. Or is that optical illusion?

The action looks higher than it is. The playability is perfect for me.

Last edited:
Thanks Pawel.

I had to try one after listening to the wonderful video of you playing "Georgia on My Mind" on your Jazz Box tenor.

Great to hear that. Mine is opening up more and more every day ... It has that special bright spruce archtop sound which i like more and more everyday.
I'm sure you will spend a lot of great moment with this uke. Have you bought it from Toby directly ?
I was also thinkig about Low G strings on mine, but after a few weeks with high G Savarez strings I changed to high G D'Addario T2 and like it very much now.

Love it. congrats.

Really deep and distinctive binding, top and bottom. Congratulations, Hodge, enjoy that sound!

That's cool. I would have thought it would be shorter sustain and brighter but it's the opposite.

Very cool! I never heard of these. And this one is really nice looking and sounding. Enjoy it!

Great to hear that. Mine is opening up more and more every day ... It has that special bright spruce archtop sound which i like more and more everyday.
I'm sure you will spend a lot of great moment with this uke. Have you bought it from Toby directly ?
I was also thinkig about Low G strings on mine, but after a few weeks with high G Savarez strings I changed to high G D'Addario T2 and like it very much now.

Toby is fresh out of tenors. I got this one in the UU Marketplace from Jon. On mine the low G sounds good. I am thinking about switching to Savarez with low G. Pawel, yours sounds just right in reentrant. The maple may make a difference.

Wow ! Great looking and sounding Ukulele. I am starting to fall in love with JazzBox Ukes. Now if only I hit the Powerball tomorrow night.

Cliff

Top Bottom