Recommendations for a banjolele?

oxband

Reaction score
I want to take the plunge on a Banjolele. I have no idea what the differences might be between the different kinds of banjoleles. I was considering this cause it got decent reviews but I' a newbie in the world ob banjoleles. Help me out!

Gold Tone is said to be the gold standard but like gold, too rich for me. I'd recommend looking at Eddy Finn:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...x=eddy+finn+,mi&rh=i:mi,k:eddy finn banjolele

I have one and really like it. Supposed to be very similar to Gold Tone but a better bang for the buck.

Plunge!

Edited to add:Also, you might want to think about whether you want a soprano or concert scale and ascertain that's what you order. The Luna youlinked to says soprano but the number of frets makes me think concert. Not sure what that's about. I prefer concerts myself - your mileage my vary. Goodluck!

Last edited:
Clones of the GoldTone include Eddie Finn, Morgan Monroe, Rally, Lanikai, and perhaps the new Kala. I have played and heard that Luna with the Mylar head and it was a little too "harsh" for my ears. Banjo uke heads range from the clear mylar to the coated Remo's with the Renaissance head being the gold standard. I've bought three used ones in the past two years. A Rally Concert with full resonator and hard shell case, a Morgan Monroe version of the same uke with a gig bag, and an Eddie Finn soprano open back. All three combined cost about what a really good one would cost. I had mine set up and had a no knot tailpiece and a calfskin head installed at Goldtone on my Rally and still came in well below street price for it. Shop for price and features....all of the Chinese Goldtone clones are pretty much the same.

If you want something lighter in weight I'd say the Firefly. If you want something very loud but heavier check out Goldtone , Eddy Finn and Kala. The Eddy Finns do need a bit of set up and string change. Most of the Goldtones come with a case. Oh and strings - The Firefly comes with LaBella Pro strings that seem to be a bit warmer. I do like Aquilas on Banjoleles as well for the punch. Have fun in your quest and start working on your best Formby :)

I also tried a Firefly and agree, it's light as a feather and sounds great. Unlike it's heavier counterparts, it's also harder to put down. Would be a great choice unless you just had to have the more "traditional" one.

I have an open back soprano Goldtone. I love it. It's solid feeling. I don't care for the neck on the Firefly so I didn't buy one, but the weight is lovely.

one day....
P1050080.JPG

I make them also.

Mine are handcrafted, very light, sound terrific (if I do say so myself) and very strong, in fact they are so strong if anyone does not like you playing them you can use them as a weapon!

Have a look and listen here ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTZtMZf3cyU&feature=youtu.be
Cheers Mike

Wooow. It's a beautifull and awesome sounding instrument. Do you have a webpage with photos of some other banjos you made ?

I absolutely love my Firefly. Lightweight, sounds and plays beautifully and is 100% made in America by some of the nicest people in the Ukulele Universe.

Scooter

No one has really mentioned the Lanikai, so I'll report what I know about it. I have the LBU-C (concert neck, with resonator and brass fittings) and have absolutely no complaints about the workmanship or quality. It plays well (Aquila strings on mine, no reason to change), and intonation is fine, though with a banjolele most of that is up to the user and placing the bridge properly. It is heavy with the resonator on, but I use a strap, and if you take off the resonator (easy), it's no longer heavy.

My understanding of the physics in this case is that weight adds a lot to the sound, because of the design of the head, which doesn't resonate like the normal ukulele top and back...so heavier weight is an advantage as regards to sound and volume.

I don't have experience with other banjoleles for comparison, but I'm not overly happy with the quality of a Luna pineapple I have (Great Wave painted). The intonation is not good, though it may be better after I do some nut and saddle work eventually. (not wild about their logo either, but that's no big deal). I'd probably look at the Eddy Finn version before the Luna, but there may not be any basis for that aside from the above. The only thing I can see against the Firefly (given the quality of Fleas and Flukes) is those peg tuners, which I really don't like (I guess some like peg tuners, but for speed (in tuning, not changing strings), ease of use, and accuracy, I think they're a hassle). And no resonator, if that matters. I like the option of having a resonator, but you can save quite a bit of the cost by getting one without it.

I got my Lanikai from Butler Music for about the price of the Luna you're looking at, as a factory 'blem' because of some minor scratches on the resonator wood (which buffed out very easily), but they're normally priced about halfway between the Luna you're looking at and the Gold Tone models with resonator. I'm very happy with it, but as I said I have no experience with the other brands for comparison.

I'll second this. I love my Firefly too. It's really lightweight - almost too lightweight(?) but that means it's really easy to take with you! It's not too brash/harsh. Action is fantastic. I got mine on Elderly on sale a few years ago - Elderly usually has free shipping if over $49 order. The denim bag is pretty much useless though and just keeps dirt off it.
If you want that louder resonator sound then, obviously something else...

I absolutely love my Firefly. Lightweight, sounds and plays beautifully and is 100% made in America by some of the nicest people in the Ukulele Universe.

Scooter

one day....
P1050080.JPG

Andrew, who is the guy making these? I know you posted it once before, that the guy is from Canada, and has a large backlog of orders. On his website, he had some amazing instruments. Can't find him or the site anymore.

Never mind, found it... J. Romero Banjos... Builds some cool instruments

Last edited:
Top Bottom