Makapili Nylon String Parlor Guitar

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomas

Reaction score
Up for sale is a Makapili Nylon String Parlor Guitar.

This instrument sounds excellent. Here is a sound sample. It is recorded using my laptop microphone into Sound Recorder, with nothing done to the sound. Please excuse my poor playing and recording gear.

https://app.box.com/s/rmbfghw8tl195kun25vb

The back, sides, fretboard and headstock overlay are all Indian Rosewood. The top is Port Orford Cedar. The neck is Spanish Cedar, and the instrument is built with a Spanish style heel.

The Scale length is 25", and the fretboard is flat, with a 1 7/8" nut.

The Side Sound Port helps the player hear the instrument more clearly, and opens up the sound.

The instrument has been played, and has a few very small scratches on the top. Also the natural oils in the back did not accept the hand rubbed finish evenly. Some parts of the back are shinier than others. I tried to represent this in the pictures. These are both solely cosmetic issues, and do not affect the playability, sound or structural integrity of the guitar. The price reflects these two imperfections.

The guitar will come in a new Gator hard shell case.

Sold
DSCF0549.jpgDSCF0551.jpgDSCF0552.jpgDSCF0554.jpgDSCF0555.jpg

Last edited:
This great guitar is still awaiting its new home. The Nylon strings on a parlor guitar sure are easy to play, and sound much sweeter than their steel string counterparts.
Take care,
Thomas

I guess it is time to reduce the price a bit.

What about still including shipping and the hard case.
sold
Take care,
Thomas

Last edited:
This instrument is now on eBay. I will close this thread after it sells.

Take care,
Thomas

A week slipped by on Ebay and the instrument is still here.

I will reduce the price to sold and leave it here for a while before going back to ebay.

This really is a great sounding and playing instrument. I am really surprised there has been zero interest. It makes me think twice about building any more guitars.

Take care,
Thomas

Last edited:
It looks like a great instrument Thomas. Are there any guitar specific sites you are a member of? Maybe it would get more interest there?

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the kind words.

I am not a member of any guitar forms. I primarily build ukuleles, but this past summer I built a series of three Nylon Parlor Guitars, and they sound great. Sometimes I feel like experimenting, and doing something completely different. I think I will stick to ukuleles though, and accept the fact that I am pretty much giving this instrument away. Whoever ends up with it will have a treasure.

Take care,
Thomas

Just thought I'd throw in a comment. I have Thomas's teres style guitar -- used. I can't believe how nice it is. I'd been trying to learn to play on a small Taylor with steel strings and couldn't get the chords very easily. Well, this one has nylon strings and is about the size of my baritone. Folks didn't realize it was a guitar till I start playing. If the guitar he's now selling is anything like this one you'll love it! The workmanship and sound is great.

This beautiful Makapili Parlor Guitar makes me consider re-attempting to play the guitar. :)

I have a similarly styled tenor uke from Thomas, and would highly recommend his instruments. On my Makapili POC top/Claro body tenor the fit and finish are excellent and the sound is clear, warm, resonant and loud. Port Orford Cedar looks, sounds, and smells so good! It's a real joy to play.

Thanks Shirley and Doc J, for the nice words about my instruments.

This instrument sure does sound good, like Doc J says, the Port Orford Cedar top definitely adds its own character in a great way. This is also a guitar built by an Ukulele maker and player, and has a lot of similarities, and was designed to be a nice transition for myself into learning the guitar. It works for me, and I think other ukulele players would like it too. Great for someone wanting that Nylon sound with a little more depth than any of the guitarleles available. To me it sounds great with gypsy style songs, and slack key music too. Like I said earlier, I think I will stick to ukuleles, since I now have a guitar almost identical to this one that I built at the same time, I don't feel the need to build anymore on spec. So, bar custom orders, this is likely to be the only Makapili Parlor Guitar to come up for sale.

I hope it makes someone's Christmas, so it can make mine too.

Take care,
Thomas

Thomas, How does it sound in relation to the one I bought from you? Folks are always surprised by the sound that comes out of it. What I was told at the last Songmakers circle I went to is that I have the best guitar there. What they didn't say is that I am by far the most beginning and not so great player. I started playing in September and got the guitar shortly after that. I find it easy to go from ukulele to guitar since both have wide spaced strings. Is it easy to do a sound sample?

Hi Shirley,

Since this instrument has a larger body, it has a little deeper sound and is a little more open sounding. It is a really well balanced instrument. The Port Orford Cedar also adds a different character to the sound than the Sinker Redwood top on your instrument, and the case doesn't have any stickers yet either:). They are quite different but both great instruments. I have a hard time putting words on sound, as it is really subjective. But it definitely sounds great. There is a sound sample on the first post. Unfortunately, I cannot play guitar very well at all, and I was in a bit of a rush to get on an airplane when I did it. I wish I could do another sound sample now, but I am in Italy and the guitar is in a box at my mom's house in South Carolina. So she will ship it from there when it sells.

I am really glad you are still enjoying your Terz guitar, and it is receiving such great compliments.

Take care,
Thomas

This wonderful instrument is still available.

Take care,
Thomas

This great guitar can be in your hands for sold.

Take care,
Thomas

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom