Reunion Blues Gig Bag

mkatz

Reaction score
I just received a Reunion Blues Concert Gig Bag from Musicians Friend and even though I knew it weighed 5 lbs, I am a little taken back by how heavy and large it is. I do travel a lot and normally use a mid grade inexpensive gig bag and keep it under the seat in front of me until everybody else has loaded their bags into the overhead.

I thought I would try this and rest a little easier when traveling with one of my better ukes but not sure the extra size is worth it. I was considering the Mono and the Fusion but prefer the backpack type straps.

I am interested in hearing from those who travel with one of these bags.

Mitch

Love it. Backpack straps are great. Put it in the overhead and don't worry. I flew to Vancouver then took a train to Seattle and flew back to LA this summer with my Moore Bettah and I felt pretty secure about it.

I've got a tenor size that I bought used from Gerald Ross (one of the clips is bad, so the price was real good! He added a locking o-clip/carabiner to the strap.)

While I keep my instruments in hard cases while at home, I have no compunctions about using the RB case to go to open mics or on moderate length trips, with my Sceptre inside.

-Kurt​

Last edited:
Just looked it up. That is a hefty price tag for a gig bag. What is the benefit of a gig bag over a traditional case?

See bumped thread from Jay on this well trodden subject.

Mitch
I have one, you are right about bulky & heavy but lots of protection. I also travel with a Gator Commander, that is much lighter & almost the same protection for my Kanilea $2400 uke. Just watch the overhead that you put it in, I always say when someone starts to put something in front or alongside that the price I quote them for damage scares them away

My opinion, if you're going to pay that much for a gig bag and it's that heavy, go ahead and pay $225 for an Ameritage tenor case from Elderly. Yep, they're about 9 lbs, and they don't have backpack straps, but for protection, there's nothing better short of an armored tank. You could run over these suckers with a car, and your uke won't have a scratch on it.

Even though I would resist with every fiber of my being, if I was absolutely forced to gate check my uke, I am certain it would come back to me safely after the flight. Not to say the case might not have a mark or two, but all the contents would be safe and sound.

I have two, one for a Pineapple Sunday, and one for a KoAloha custom. Soon my father-in-law will have one for his Sceptre.

Just looked it up. That is a hefty price tag for a gig bag. What is the benefit of a gig bag over a traditional case?

I have same question too!!!

I have same question too!!!
I think calling the RB a gig bag does it some injustice when you compare to other gig bags. It's more similar to hard cases than it is to gig bags. It does have hideaway shoulder straps that makes it easy to transport. Follow some of the other threads on this bag and you'll find video of how protective this case is. Sure, the Ameritage is a tank, but I don't want to, nor do I feel the need to, haul it through an airport. I'm not concerned that I will ever have to check my uke.

I think calling the RB a gig bag does it some injustice when you compare to other gig bags. It's more similar to hard cases than it is to gig bags. It does have hideaway shoulder straps that makes it easy to transport. Follow some of the other threads on this bag and you'll find video of how protective this case is. Sure, the Ameritage is a tank, but I don't want to, nor do I feel the need to, haul it through an airport. I'm not concerned that I will ever have to check my uke.

+1. I really like the backpack style and RB protects my uke well. I've only used it in my car. I haven't travelled with it yet but having 2 kids, a backpack style bag is a necessity as I have a bunch of other stuff to carry.

For me the primary benefit is I can carry the gig bag on my back while walking through an airport. Other wise just about any hard shell case would suffice for me. I have absolutely no concern about ever having to check my uke so to me a case like the Ameritage is overkill.

Mitch

Top Bottom