Kala mystery bridge?

Archtop Tom

Reaction score
just joined up & wonder if any of the gearheads know what material Kala uses for the black saddle on their SMHT tenor? I'm having maestro Mesquite build a ukeferri and want the same on it. Tried contacting them, but looks to be a long wait for that to come through.

Last edited:
sorry, I'm the bonehead... meant black SADDLE. They say bone, but Kala site says SIMULATED bone - the mystery continues...

Simulated bone ? black plastic maybe... you could probably go with Ebony saddle and nut for your custom "ukeferri"...
This page has some interesting leads as too what it may be,also what you could use for your build to get the aesthetics and sound quality your looking for...

http://www.ianchadwick.com/ukuleles/pickups.htm

Last edited:
sorry and thanks, I just adjusted our site. It is ebony now. They have fluctuated. I guess at one point it was bone. Originally it was a black micarta. Either way I wouldn't try to get your high end custom to be like your Kala. Let him use what he thinks best.

the kala site says ebony for the acacia model and simulated bone for the mahogany. maybe they changed material due to wood density etc., the cost difference couldn't be prohibitive between the two.

Hey Andrew thanks for jumping in. I only pointed that out to show it was perpetuating the mystery - hope I didn't cause a fuss. I love you guys!

Luis usually uses bone, but coming from a jazz manouche background, I'm going for the full maccaferri effect and he's very flexible. Took the moderator's advice. Researched the forum & found that ebony might not give the volume & punch I'm after. Followed a thread for dying bone. Looks interesting, but black micarta looks ready to go & specs seem to match the sound I want.

I really need to learn how to use the reply function! Anywho
Luis usually uses bone, but coming from a jazz manouche background, I'm going for the full maccaferri effect and he's very flexible. Took the moderator's advice. Researched the forum & found that ebony might not give the volume & punch I'm after. Followed a thread for dying bone. Looks interesting, but black micarta looks ready to go & specs seem to match the sound I want.

Hey Andrew thanks for jumping in. I only pointed that out to show it was perpetuating the mystery - hope I didn't cause a fuss. I love you guys!

No fuss at all. I need to review specs on these guys from time to time. All good & congrats on the budding custom, gonna be great any way you go on saddle material. I'll give you my advice anytime but it's only one opinion. Have fun & thanks, we love you too!

Top Bottom