Ondrej Sarek: Modulating Canon for ukulele

Jim, thank you for correcting the link!

Wikipedia modulating canon wrote: "This last one is a modulating canon which means that the tune changes key. This is hard to compose well so that it sounds good because when the first voice has just changed key the other one is still catching up in the other key."
My canon is very simple. Polyphony composers have composed much more complex canons:)

I'm not trying to take away from the composition. It is very neat how the key goes all the way around the circle of fifths and still sounds very "natural". I guess I was expecting to have the same notes in the two parts, for example C-G for part one in measure one becomes F-C for part two in measure two. I see how that is modulating but probably is not a proper canon. I think you would have to have part one still in key of C and part two in key of F to be a modulating canon. "Hard to compose"? Yeah, I can believe that. ;-)

But again, just quibbling. Still a great piece.

The example of what you say at end should have in musical terms name "bitonal canon".
"Modulating canon" means that the voices start consecutive and goe through all twelve keys.

Top Bottom