Trying to estimate date on Kamaka soprano ukulele

edgar44

Reaction score
I have two soprano Kamaka ukes but I'm in a quandary as regards to dating these two vintage ukuleles. My first Kamaka was purchased on eBay a few years back for about $300 and after spending about $50, got it looking and sounding pretty good. It has a fretboard that comes down on to the body with a angled end. This fretboard stands about 1/8" above the uke body. My guess is that is a late 1950's as it has a gold label with red and black lettering.

I just purchased another Kamaka soprano that I thought was older, only to find out it's probably about the same age as it also has a gold label but this ukulele looks to be much older. It has a fretboard that is flush with the body top and stops where it meets the body. Any ideas? Ed Here's a photo of each uke:20130930_063206.jpg20130930_063211.jpg

Both are gold labels...the one with partially lost label...is a mid 50's and the other with the whole label is a late 50's.

I recently bought a soprano ukelele that looks just like either of these two 1950s ukes. It is in great condition with the exception of one of the tuners missing. Once I can find a tuner or a new set of tuners for it what might this uke be worth?

To my eyes, the Kamaka in my avatar looks a lot like the extended-fretboard ukulele in the OP. I know the gold labels were made from 1954 - 1969 -- is there a way to distinguish a mid-to-late 50s model from a 60s model?

I've been assuming mine is a 60s model, but I'm curious!

Top Bottom