What do YOU do with a tenor uke?

Captain America

Reaction score
Given its sound, what style of playing do you do with a tenor? strum? pick? etc?

I'm curious whether anyone's found the uke size tends to dictate certain kinds of technique. . . and music.

My only tenor is an 8 string, so I'm mostly strumming. Can't pick cleanly yet on 4 strings, much less 8.

Mostly picking since I'm "vocally challenged." As to kind of music, I'm all over the map--classical, blues, the Beatles, etc.

I bought mine for strumming. Seemed like the larger scale would be better for country than my concert or soprano ukes. I'm still not quite getting the sound I want so I will probably switch it to low g.

I pick and play at the moment a lot more blues than anything.

Pick, strum, pluck whatever you like, I bought my tenor with a cutaway so I could play Lyle Ritz jazz riffs right up pass the 12 fret.

All the above.

Everything.

It's like that bag of weed in Harold & Kumar...

I use a tenor uke to make money....... I photograph kids on a pony at daycares, dress the kids like cowboys give them a tenor Kala and take a pic. They look like singing cowboys and cowgirls!

My Kala Acacia Tenor has the sweetest tone when fingerpicked and played up the neck, not just first 3 frets. Strumming is good but not it's best suit. Worth Browns with low wound G.

My tenors are tuned to G, and are used for specific songs, but not any particular style. I'm primarily a concert player (I have a wimpy fretting hand, and tenor is not my perfect size).

My "tenor set" is:
Copperhead Road
Figured You Out
Folsom Prison Blues
Hallelujah
I Put A Spell On You
Killing Me Softly
Tell Me Why
Wicked Game

Everything.

It's like that bag of weed in Harold & Kumar...

Bwahahaha!

I strum mostly, but enjoy finger picking, though I do suck at that. Still sounds nice on my sweet KPK tenor with the low G.

What do I do with a tenor uke? Turn green with envy over people who have hands large enough to play them!

Seriously - I play mainly soprano, and often high up the neck - and although I think the higher range sounds much better on tenor (or even concert), my stubby little hands can't handle many of the stretches I need to make on anything larger than a soprano.

I don't think there's a one-size-fits-all rule for what size ukes work well with what styles, though. To my ear, a uke sounds like a uke and that's all good :) The only real preference I have is that for just plain strumming, I don't care for low G at all, regardless of uke size, although I do like it when soloing or playing harmonies.

I leave mine in there cases for the most part. Everything Janeray said, I second. Love the soprano size.

Anything. I have one lowG, one high, love the strumming on the high, play fingerstyle on the low, broad spectrum of music, but I much favor old standards.

Top Bottom