PDA

View Full Version : Ukulele World Congress in S.Indiana

Pages : [1] 2

hoosierhiver
01-15-2009, 05:54 AM
Hi all,
Maybe you've already heard the rumors.Some of the gang here on UU has been scheme-ing on a big ukulele camp-out in the first weekend in June,here in southern Indiana.Alot of folks have already promised to come.

We've started a Youtube channel to help organise the info.

http://www.youtube.com/user/UkuleleWorldCongress

Check out the links in the profile for some photos of the site and other info.

Hope to see everybody there!:D

UKISOCIETY
01-15-2009, 08:35 AM
I plan to be there.

Come one, come all!!!!

Howlin Hobbit
01-15-2009, 08:45 AM
Dude, ya gotta do something for Indiana. It definitely appears that they need a quick stir to the imagination. For instance, there's apparently a dearth of town names there.

Y'all have three towns named Needmore. One in Brown county (I assume this is the dealio), one in Lawrence county, and one in Vermillion county.

Seriously though, if I could afford to get myself there I'd do it. Sounds like a great time!

hoosierhiver
01-15-2009, 09:00 AM
Dude, ya gotta do something for Indiana. It definitely appears that they need a quick stir to the imagination. For instance, there's apparently a dearth of town names there.

Y'all have three towns named Needmore. One in Brown county (I assume this is the dealio), one in Lawrence county, and one in Vermillion county.

Seriously though, if I could afford to get myself there I'd do it. Sounds like a great time!

Ha-ha that's right 3 Needmore's no doubt.It is the one in Brown County.

russ_buss
01-15-2009, 09:28 AM
i'm there will cowbells on. start stockpiling the 'shine!

SailQwest
01-15-2009, 09:39 AM
Hoosierhiver told me about this today. (I've been so out of the loop without my computer!) I figured it wouldn't possible, since it's before the end of our charter season, but...

I told Rich about it, and he would really like to go, so maybe we can work something out. :love:

Link
01-15-2009, 10:02 AM
I'm going to do everything in my power to go. Here's to hoping I get to meet all you cool folks.

sukie
01-15-2009, 10:09 AM
I'd love to come to this little event -- as long as I don't have to go camping.

hoosierhiver
01-15-2009, 11:32 AM
I'd love to come to this little event -- as long as I don't have to go camping.

Check out the cabins,we are thinking of renting.They are pretty sweet.

Ukulele JJ
01-15-2009, 11:36 AM
For instance, there's apparently a dearth of town names there.

I know. They had to steal my town's name!

JJ

benmealer
01-15-2009, 01:01 PM
I've got to practice so I don't look foolish in front of everybody (foolish in the computer's ok, still):music:

Valerie
01-15-2009, 01:41 PM
I'm on clinicals that month :(

But! There is about a 1 in 20 chance that my clinical will be in Indiana- and if it is, I'll be there!

*Crosses fingers*

Just did a Mapquest... the site is about a 12 hour drive from Suffolk... But if my clinical site is within an 8 hour drive I'll go.

Now I just have to wait and see where my clinical is.

Faricelli
01-15-2009, 02:09 PM
Will there be beer? And or can you bring beer? I sound a lot better when everyone is drunk.

sukie
01-15-2009, 02:25 PM
Check out the cabins,we are thinking of renting.They are pretty sweet.

Actually I did look at the photos. Now that's my idea of camping!

benmealer
01-15-2009, 03:28 PM
Will there be beer? And or can you bring beer? I sound a lot better when everyone is drunk.

I'm going to sneak a couple cans in. shhhhh...

russ_buss
01-15-2009, 03:38 PM

i'm sure there will be plenty of hooch. if not, boozelele will be drinking hairspray. (again!)

hoosierhiver
01-15-2009, 03:38 PM
Dude, ya gotta do something for Indiana. It definitely appears that they need a quick stir to the imagination. For instance, there's apparently a dearth of town names.

The town of "Gnawbone" is about 20 miles away.I don't know who thought of that one.

The event is on private property,so drinking beer is noooo problemmooo.

benmealer
01-15-2009, 03:47 PM
I need to start working on my beer coozie ukulele hanger.

GrumpyCoyote
01-15-2009, 07:05 PM
I wouldn't miss it for the world. Much jackassery and asskickery to be had!

BE THERE!

Bassukuguy
01-19-2009, 07:12 PM
YES! ive been looking for a good meetup and this seems to be the one. luckily i live right on the Illinois\Indiana border so i am going to do everything in my power to be there.

sukie
01-20-2009, 07:56 AM
I would really like to come to this event -- however -- I need more girls coming to this. Anybody?

hoosierhiver
01-20-2009, 03:34 PM
I would really like to come to this event -- however -- I need more girls coming to this. Anybody?

So far Adelle and LonnaB are definitely coming and Shanifawni is going to try her best to make it.Russ with his lovely locks could also be mistaken for a girl from behind.

Link
01-20-2009, 03:52 PM
And if deach is coming, there's a strong chance he'll have a wig of some kind.. haha

russ_buss
01-20-2009, 04:14 PM
Russ with his lovely locks could also be mistaken for a girl from behind.

meow!!!! maybe it's time to cover "the crying game".

sukie
01-21-2009, 08:47 AM
So far Adelle and LonnaB are definitely coming and Shanifawni is going to try her best to make it.Russ with his lovely locks could also be mistaken for a girl from behind.

Excellent -- the part about Adelle and LonnaB.

I thought Russ sorta looked like Michael J. -- jk!:D

I will be there. I don't think I've ever been to Indiana before. Road trip!

shanifawni
02-01-2009, 04:05 PM
yayyyy
i am way excited for this,
and i am a girl - and i will most likely be there. the only thing that may or may not be in my way will be Dave Matthews Band double-concert weekend that me and a some good friends have made a tradition of...
summer tour dates haven't been announced, but my fingers are crossed for them not being the same weekend as the uke world congress, haha

i like me some music-related road trips...so i'm countin on this one herrr.

bornagainjeeper
02-01-2009, 09:52 PM
yayyyy
i am way excited for this,
and i am a girl - and i will most likely be there. the only thing that may or may not be in my way will be Dave Matthews Band double-concert weekend that me and a some good friends have made a tradition of...
summer tour dates haven't been announced, but my fingers are crossed for them not being the same weekend as the uke world congress, haha

i like me some music-related road trips...so i'm countin on this one herrr.

It'd be great to see you my fellow regina uker...I'm there for sure

shanifawni
02-02-2009, 08:33 PM
heck yes regina ukers!
4lyyyfe

cool beans

Nuke-ulele
02-13-2009, 05:27 AM
Hey, cool...Midwest ukers unite. I will try and be there!

dominicfoundthemooon
03-02-2009, 08:00 AM
i would love to make it out to this.. it all depends on money and travel... right around this time i might be moving from kansas city to Seattle.. it is kind of the other direction! i would also like to hit up the bushman one! it looked like a lot of fun last year.. if i do go.. i will have my GF with me.. so that is another "girl" asi saw some of the gals wanted to know the girls that would be at the event.. she can be found in my videos in the background.. doing goofy stuff..

Uke Republic
03-07-2009, 03:56 PM
I'm opening for U2 that day, but its an open venue. If it rains...

hoosierhiver
03-12-2009, 06:39 AM
Send your video clips for the commercial to Russbuss.

hoosierhiver
03-18-2009, 08:09 AM
Alright guys and girls,
I'm getting serious now.Who wants to reserve a room at the big ol' cabin we are renting in June?
There are 3 huge bedrooms and 2 smaller ones.There's also a lower level that we can rent if we need more space.
Let me know ASAP if you want in on this,so I can do a head count., Mike

Here's the cabin. http://im3.imagemaker360.com/Viewer/12.asp?id=82087

UKISOCIETY
03-18-2009, 08:39 AM
Alright guys and girls,
I'm getting serious now.Who wants to reserve a room at the big ol' cabin we are renting in June?
There are 3 huge bedrooms and 2 smaller ones.There's also a lower level that we can rent if we need more space.
Let me know ASAP if you want in on this,so I can do a head count., Mike

Here's the cabin. http://im3.imagemaker360.com/Viewer/12.asp?id=82087

Sorry if I missed it, is there a price quote on staying there.

It looks cool! We should schedule a mass murderer to come pluck us away one by one while we're staying there.

...Just a thought.;)

GrumpyCoyote
03-18-2009, 08:45 AM
I'm in for a room - just need the price and where to send the cashola.

russ_buss
03-18-2009, 08:47 AM
Sorry if I missed it, is there a price quote on staying there.

It looks cool! We should schedule a mass murderer to come pluck us away one by one while we're staying there.

...Just a thought.;)

or we can play Clue. or stage a murder mystery! or drunken Twister. slip and slide?

UKISOCIETY
03-18-2009, 08:52 AM
or we can play Clue. or stage a murder mystery! or drunken Twister. slip and slide?

We should also get our music prepared as well.

/off to practice for the "I'm Yours" jam session:rock:...

PoisonDart
03-18-2009, 09:05 AM
This sounds great. I'm down. I'll have to see if my girlfriend can come out too.

I'll camp though.

You should also make a facebook invite for this and post it on the ukulele undergroudn group.

hoosierhiver
03-18-2009, 09:33 AM
The big rooms will run about $80 per night.

GrumpyCoyote
03-18-2009, 09:45 AM
The big rooms will run about $80 per night.

Sold - PM me yer info if you need me to pre-pay.

benmealer
03-18-2009, 04:29 PM

I only slip and slide naked

benmealer
03-18-2009, 04:41 PM
is anyone going to try and go out there for the whole week or is everyone just doing the weekend. I was thinking about most of the week if anyone else is in for it. I was thinking about camping, but I could pay for a room if there's an extra bed to be had. That cabin's beauitiful.

shanifawni
03-18-2009, 09:04 PM

OMGGGG i wanna play clue. but i wish someone had masterpiece...aye? anyone?

apples to apples?? yeah?

hoosierhiver
03-19-2009, 05:30 AM
Seeing as I live there,I will be there all week. A few folks are coming in from Europe and they plan to stay a week as well.Maybe a trip up to Chicago after the Congress?

sukie
03-19-2009, 09:02 AM
Friday to Sunday for me. Somebody has to work -- although I am taking 2 days off to do this. Yippee! :cheers:

GrumpyCoyote
03-19-2009, 11:17 AM
I'm thinking of coming in on Friday, and flying out on Monday AM - Whats the closest airport?

lisaxy424
03-19-2009, 06:03 PM
Ok - so I just got giddy looking at all those photos! Mike, that place is GORGEOUS!

I LOVE camping, but I think I'm going to be able to be there for only one night - so a room may be the way to go (plus, my husband will probably want me to be locked away at night - HA!)

Could I 'rent' a room for only one night, even though the Congress goes through the whole weekend? How close is the cabin to the campsites? If I find another uker to split a room with, could we do that too? (Any takers...Sukie!?) :)

Thanks! :)

bornagainjeeper
03-19-2009, 07:19 PM
Seeing as I live there,I will be there all week. A few folks are coming in from Europe and they plan to stay a week as well.Maybe a trip up to Chicago after the Congress?

being that i'm an outdoor trip leader...i'd be happy to take people canoeing/caving/ whatever in southern illinois (about 2 hours away) before or after the congress! shoot me a line if you're interested (for free of course i can provide almost all the gear for anything)

sukie
03-19-2009, 08:11 PM
Lisa, if rooms are available to share, count on it. It'll make my husband happier too.

hoosierhiver
03-20-2009, 04:59 AM
I looked at an alternative cabin yesterday that can sleep more people,is closer to the camping and has alot of beautiful woods surrounding it. The camp ground/bonfire site is only about 2 miles away on a country road.The cabin has a few double rooms that the girls could share.
The closest airport is Indianapolis which is about an hour away.As it gets closer we will try to arrange some transport or ride sharing for folks.

Bassukuguy
03-20-2009, 05:15 AM
im down for starting a UU Tent City, who is with me? perhaps this is the cheap college student still coming out in me.

hoosierhiver
03-20-2009, 05:39 AM
A UU tent city sounds great. There are several people that have already said they want to camp.The main site is a couple of huge fileds surrounded by woods with a creek and a small lake nearby. A huge bonfire is guarenteed.

hoosierhiver
03-23-2009, 08:57 AM
For people who are interested,this is now the cabin that we will be renting.

http://www.mcginleyvacationcabins.com/ginleygulch.html

lisaxy424
03-25-2009, 01:03 PM
Mike - is there any agenda to the weekend? I know it's probably not made out yet, but will there be like a "camp itinerary" with various uke classes, etc?

(Oh no...flashbacks to band camp just came rushing in...) :)

bornagainjeeper
03-25-2009, 01:55 PM
im down for starting a UU Tent City, who is with me? perhaps this is the cheap college student still coming out in me.

i was planning on being out in the woods i'll use a tent if it gets rainy otherwise the trees are good enough for me

Link
03-25-2009, 06:48 PM
Still not 100% sure that I can make it, but I'll know soon.

Just to let ya'll know, I'd be sleeping under the stars like Jeeper. Nothing against the cabin, I'm sure it rocks! But I love being outside. Besides, maybe Jeeper and I can spoon!

hoosierhiver
03-26-2009, 06:07 AM
The site also has a pretty big stage which people can crash on. I'm gonna have some sort of big tent-ish shelter as well.

It would be nice to have some scheduled classes or performances, volenteers please? I expect alot of playing around the bonfire, at the lake, and everywhere else.

So far,I picture a schedule something like this;

FRIDAY: People show up in the afternoon,the cabin is open at 2pm.
7pm Needmore community pot-luck. The neighbors will be bringing food to share with all the players and attendees.
9pm-ish Bonfire and lots of fun late into the night.

SATURDAY: Morning time to explore Nashville and Brown County. Breakfast specials at a ma and pa place in Nashville.

http://www.browncounty.com/static/index.cfm?action=group&contentID=2

http://www.nashville-indiana.com/nashvilleindiana.html

We will meet up again in Needmore for a lazy afternoon in Needmore, swimming,canoeing,hiking and hanging out at a private lake and fireing up a grill or two.
Saturday evening and night will have more camp fire jamming and a few special performances in the main field.

SUNDAY: I think most people will be leaving on Sunday,but for those who are staying this will be a day to further explore the surrounding area or relax in the country.A few folks have talked about staying longer,I've already thought about some possible field trips.

dominicfoundthemooon
03-26-2009, 06:17 AM
man this looks like it is going to be so much fun!!

sukie
03-26-2009, 09:36 AM
T
7pm Needmore community pot-luck. The neighbors will be bringing food to share with all the players and attendees.

For real? Wow, that's nice.

hoosierhiver
03-26-2009, 10:32 AM
This site has a few pics of the event field and stage.

http://www.maxsplace.info/otterfest/#here

And here's directions to the site:

Directions to Kneadmore Community Field
>From Indianapolis, take 135 South to 45 in
Bean Blossom. Go West 7 miles (watch for the Festival
signs!) to Plum Creek Road, and turn left.

>From Bloomington, take 45 East for 12.5 miles (watch for the Festival
signs!) to Plum Creek Road, and turn right.

Boozelele
03-26-2009, 10:23 PM
WOW UU has grown!!!! I really have to crawl out of this bottle and take a look around once in a while. For those who care, I will be coming to this shindig. Hopefully staying at least the three nights FRI, SAT, SUN. I will certainly be looking to car pool from the airport. If you see me hanging around the airport bar on Fri with a couple ukes....pour me into your rental car. :)

boozelele

hoosierhiver
03-27-2009, 05:26 AM
hanging around the airport bar on Fri with a couple ukes... :)

boozelele

This sounds like a fun idea in itself.

GrumpyCoyote
03-27-2009, 10:44 AM
WOW UU has grown!!!! I really have to crawl out of this bottle and take a look around once in a while. For those who care, I will be coming to this shindig. Hopefully staying at least the three nights FRI, SAT, SUN. I will certainly be looking to car pool from the airport. If you see me hanging around the airport bar on Fri with a couple ukes....pour me into your rental car. :)

boozelele

Hey Booze - what time are you flying in? I was going to rent a car Fri afternoon and I'm leaving Monday.

Boozelele
03-27-2009, 03:29 PM
GCT...I havent checked flights yet but I'm sure it will be late afternoon. You're coming from the left coast right? Did you already purchase? I talked to Russ today and he is looking for a carpool too. We'll have to coordinate....

Mike can meet us at the airport, jug in hand.

DeG
03-27-2009, 04:39 PM
I'm sooo pumped for this, can't wait! I'm going to drive up from Atlanta on Thursday and depending on who's arriving when and staying where, I'll either stop somewhere for the night, and continue in on Friday morning or keep on trucking til I get there on Thursday night. Leaving Monday morning.

We do need to come up with a song list so we all can jam together, and crank out some videos. :nana:

lisaxy424
03-28-2009, 01:43 PM
Ok, so this may be the teacher in me, but I always try to come up with different things to remember special events by. Whether it be gifts, songs, or...T-SHIRTS! :D

How many people would be interested in getting one of these for the Congress:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1148&stc=1&d=1238279733

The more shirts ordered, the lower the price goes - so if we get around 20 orders, it should only be like $10! As for the names on the back, I just browsed the thread and jotted down anyone who said they were going for sure.

How do you like the design? It's a little hula girl that says "Aloha" on the front, and says "Ukulele Underground Ohana" on the back (sorry - tried to blow up a small image) I can easily change the fonts, layout, and color of the shirt! Let me know what you think! :)

Anyone interested? It takes about 2 weeks to get them in, so I'll probably take a final tally around the 2nd week of May or so (and hopefully add a bunch more names!)

DeG
03-28-2009, 06:54 PM
Lisa, you are amazing!!! Holy Crap., put me down for one (XL, thanks to Budweiser):D

GrumpyCoyote
03-28-2009, 08:00 PM
GCT...I havent checked flights yet but I'm sure it will be late afternoon. You're coming from the left coast right? Did you already purchase? I talked to Russ today and he is looking for a carpool too. We'll have to coordinate....

Mike can meet us at the airport, jug in hand.

Flying from Seattle - Didn't buy yet... but yes - let's just get one car if we can. I'm also happy to pay if I don't have to drive the damn thing. I'll look at tix ASAP next week.

bornagainjeeper
03-28-2009, 08:27 PM
Still not 100% sure that I can make it, but I'll know soon.

Just to let ya'll know, I'd be sleeping under the stars like Jeeper. Nothing against the cabin, I'm sure it rocks! But I love being outside. Besides, maybe Jeeper and I can spoon!

dibs on big spoon position

bornagainjeeper
03-28-2009, 08:31 PM
We will meet up again in Needmore for a lazy afternoon in Needmore, swimming,canoeing,hiking and hanging out at a private lake and fireing up a grill or two.

i think i already said this but i will also offer to take people before (preferably) on a southern illinois trip (about 2 hours away) we have a vast wine country to explore and i'm an outdoor trip leader by profession so i can get it all set up with canoes kayaks hiking whatever you want message me if you are interested in a free poke around

lisaxy424
03-28-2009, 08:33 PM
...message me if you are interested in a free poke around

I want a free poke around...

ZZZZZINGGG...

so...tired...

shanifawni
03-28-2009, 09:41 PM
i would like a shirt!

for sure.

Link
03-28-2009, 10:17 PM
I think it would be cool if we could do an open mic set up. I love everyone who's attending, and to see them perform is one of the biggest reasons I wanna go! This place has a stage.. does it have a PA system and whatever we'd need to just set up an open mic or some sort of schedule?

UKISOCIETY
03-29-2009, 04:01 AM
I wants a shirt, Lisa!!

UKISOCIETY
03-29-2009, 04:02 AM
I think it would be cool if we could do an open mic set up. I love everyone who's attending, and to see them perform is one of the biggest reasons I wanna go! This place has a stage.. does it have a PA system and whatever we'd need to just set up an open mic or some sort of schedule?

I'm counting on an open mic session! I'm practicing for it already! :cool:

hoosierhiver
03-29-2009, 04:54 AM
Cool beans. We'll schedule an open mic for each evening. Aside from the main stage, I also have a haywagon that kicks butt. MC anyone?

:nana:

sukie
03-29-2009, 06:23 AM
I want a shirt. It'll be just the ticket to drive my Meals on Wheels drivers nuts! -- ooh, a pun! Size XL please.

shanifawni
03-29-2009, 03:59 PM
i would also like to open-mic it up! i love open miccsss. anyway. i am not volunteering to MC tho, haha.

i am so excited everyone, again. hahaha this is gonna be great!

p.s. i'll take a size small for my shirt, i forgot that...

lisaxy424
03-29-2009, 04:06 PM
Cool beans. We'll schedule an open mic for each evening. Aside from the main stage, I also have a haywagon that kicks butt. MC anyone?

:nana:

A HAY WAGON! I'll be on that all day!!! :)

I've only MCed for my little middle school band concerts...but I've played the part! So worse comes to worse, I'll volunteer (Remember - WORSE COMES TO WORSE!)

I'd actually love to see Alan in his tux doing the MCing thaang...huh? huh? ;)

UKISOCIETY
03-29-2009, 04:14 PM
A HAY WAGON! I'll be on that all day!!! :)

I've only MCed for my little middle school band concerts...but I've played the part! So worse comes to worse, I'll volunteer (Remember - WORSE COMES TO WORSE!)

I'd actually love to see Alan in his tux doing the MCing thaang...huh? huh? ;)

I did it in high school! Had a burgundy velveteen sport coat and a ruffly tux shirt! Picture Eric Idle as the greasy emcee on Monty Python. Except with 80's hair! :D

lisaxy424
03-29-2009, 04:26 PM
I did it in high school! Had a burgundy velveteen sport coat and a ruffly tux shirt! Picture Eric Idle as the greasy emcee on Monty Python. Except with 80's hair! :D

THEN IT'S SETTLED! ;)

(how did I know it would be burgundy too?!? :p)

DeG
03-29-2009, 05:39 PM
Regarding the open mic, I plan on bring my acoustic bass guitar and a six string, so if anyone is working on songs that need accompaniment, let me know what songs I should be working on. Unfortunately, my drum set won't fit in the car...:D

lisaxy424
03-29-2009, 05:50 PM
Regarding the open mic, I plan on bring my acoustic bass guitar and a six string, so if anyone is working on songs that need accompaniment, let me know what songs I should be working on. Unfortunately, my drum set won't fit in the car...:D

YESSSS!!!!

Please check out the bass part for this song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRy8N1P1EUI) - I'm taking it in A minor! Do you think it's doable!? I may even need you to sing some backup with me! NEEEEATTT!!

On that note, I'll be bringing my sax too...the ukes will make it jealous if I don't ;) Maybe some awful bonfire saxual jazz is in cards :eek:

DeG
03-30-2009, 04:27 PM
I should be able to handle that :)

hoosierhiver
03-31-2009, 05:25 AM
Burgundy velveteen sports coat AND bonfire saxual jazz!:eek:
I'll have extra fire extinquishers on hand.

I'll try to have a friend bring a small snare set. Works great with the ukes.

GrumpyCoyote
03-31-2009, 05:26 PM
I'll be holding seminars on drinking too much and forgetting to tune your uke.

Also, a class on how to pull off the "jeez that mustache needs a trim" look.

benmealer
04-03-2009, 04:28 PM
OOH! Those shirts are cool, Lisa. I'm a med. I don't know if I already said something about this, but I think it would be neat to do a video of "We Are the World" with everyone and everyone can have their little part. I bet we'd have a good chance of getting on the front page of UU if we could pull it off.

Valerie
04-03-2009, 06:30 PM
Well, the news has come in... I officially can't go :mad:

But! If this becomes an anual thing, nothing will stop me from coming next year. I'll be out of school and studing for my board exam and a ukulele vacation would be wonderful.

So have great fun this year, and make plans for next.

DeG
04-03-2009, 08:32 PM
OOH! Those shirts are cool, Lisa. I'm a med. I don't know if I already said something about this, but I think it would be neat to do a video of "We Are the World" with everyone and everyone can have their little part. I bet we'd have a good chance of getting on the front page of UU if we could pull it off.

I'm in, but only if I can be Dan Aykroyd :D

Hey, are we still doing Jeepers "Over the Rainbow" thing too??

iamdanielle
04-08-2009, 10:30 AM
Finding out about this gathering is the best and most exciting thing ever!!! Thanks Alex. I really cannot wait to meet all of you wonderful people.:D

hoosierhiver
04-08-2009, 10:39 AM
Everybody should bring multiple copies of songs they want to jam on.

UKISOCIETY
04-08-2009, 10:49 AM
Everybody should bring multiple copies of songs they want to jam on.

I'm working on a songbook with simple arrangements of songs for the occasion. Any requests?

Boozelele
04-08-2009, 11:03 AM
I'm working on a songbook with simple arrangements of songs for the occasion. Any requests?

Flight of the Bumblebees? (in honor of HoosierHiver of course)

iamdanielle
04-09-2009, 08:18 AM
WOW!! awesome lisa. i'll take one in a med.

Ok, so this may be the teacher in me, but I always try to come up with different things to remember special events by. Whether it be gifts, songs, or...T-SHIRTS! :D

How many people would be interested in getting one of these for the Congress:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1148&stc=1&d=1238279733

The more shirts ordered, the lower the price goes - so if we get around 20 orders, it should only be like $10! As for the names on the back, I just browsed the thread and jotted down anyone who said they were going for sure.

How do you like the design? It's a little hula girl that says "Aloha" on the front, and says "Ukulele Underground Ohana" on the back (sorry - tried to blow up a small image) I can easily change the fonts, layout, and color of the shirt! Let me know what you think! :)

Anyone interested? It takes about 2 weeks to get them in, so I'll probably take a final tally around the 2nd week of May or so (and hopefully add a bunch more names!)

Bassukuguy
04-10-2009, 08:28 PM
i keep getting more and more psyched for this as it gets closer. my band keeps looking into booking shows and im headstrong to keep this weekend open, and possibly invite them along too.

Link
04-10-2009, 09:22 PM
somewhere Over The Rainbow ala Iz, Raindrops Keep Fallin On My Head

Link
04-10-2009, 10:14 PM
BTW I'm almost sure I can come. I am so stoked!!! Can't wait to meet all of you guys.

Ken Middleton
04-13-2009, 10:15 PM
I am not going to be able to come to the World Congress in June. Circumstances prevent me from being there.

I am really sorry. I know I promised several people that I would jam with them, but, I'm afraid, it's just not going to be possible.

I'm really, really disappointed. I was so looking forward to meeting everyone. It will have to be another time.

KEN

sukie
04-14-2009, 08:35 AM
I am not going to be able to come to the World Congress in June. Circumstances prevent me from being there.

I am really sorry. I know I promised several people that I would jam with them, but, I'm afraid, it's just not going to be possible.

I'm really, really disappointed. I was so looking forward to meeting everyone. It will have to be another time.

KEN

DANG!!! We'll miss you too.

UKISOCIETY
04-14-2009, 08:40 AM

KEN

You're welcome to our home any day of the year, Ken. The door's always open for you. I'm sorry I won't see you in June.

russ_buss
04-14-2009, 08:53 AM

KEN

aw nuts! it would have been really great to meet you in person. well hopefully another time. party at Ken's house next summer!

deach
04-14-2009, 08:56 AM
aw nuts! it would have been really great to meet you in person. well hopefully another time. party at Ken's house next summer!

Maybe winter. We could gather around the fireplace and play xbox.

UKISOCIETY
04-14-2009, 11:26 AM
I've just written a song and everyone who is attending the Congress is welcome to be a part of it. It's a call for world peace, love and harmony, food on the table of the little elfen children and most especially the spread of ukulele love throughout the galaxy. We'll need EVERYBODY for the chorus and I'll be spending the weekend picking people to sing the solos and duets. So if you don't want to do the solos, look busy when you see me. Here are the lyrics:

WE ARE THE UKE
Solo
When you are down and you need a little lift
Duet
when your day is sucky and not so good
Solo
And your doggie bit you and the wife is mad at you
Duet
What can you do to alter that bad mood?
Solo
It's a tiny thing. And it only has 4 strings.
Duet
But pick it up and play with all your might
Solo
You will feel a mood change and tingly inside
Solo
Because the ukulele makes it all feel right!

Chorus
We play the uke. the Ukulele
We play to keep us sane
though some of us are crazy
Solo
It's a choice we're making
to brighten up our day
Duet
It's true you'll feel better with- ukulelayyyy!

Solo
We're all alone 'cause all our loved ones have flown

We're too busy on Youtube and UU
Solo
We're obsessive people - the uke is what we know
Solo
We can't wait for the next ukulele videooooo!

Chorus
We play the uke - the Ukulele
We play to keep us sane
though Deach is plain crazy
Solo
to brighten up our day

BRIDGE
Solo
When you're down and out and there seems no hope at all.
Solo
Just pick up that uke and all your cares will falllllll
Lady solo
well, well, well, well, it's only got 4 strings 12 frets and a small hole
Duet
Just strum that bitch and let your mind be blownnnn!

Chorus
We eat hamburguesa
with mayonnais-ey

to brighten up our day

Chorus
We play to keep us sane
yeah Deach is still crazy

to brighten up our day

-Whattya think?

russ_buss
04-14-2009, 11:28 AM
I've just written a song and everyone who is attending the Congress is welcome to be a part of it. It's a call for world peace, love and harmony, food on the table of the little elfen children and most especially the spread of ukulele love throughout the galaxy. We'll need EVERYBODY for the chorus and I'll be spending the weekend picking people to sing the solos and duets. So if you don't want to do the solos, look busy when you see me. Here are the lyrics:

WE ARE THE UKE
Solo
When you are down and you need a little lift
Duet
when your day is sucky and not so good
Solo
And your doggie bit you and the wife is mad at you
Duet
What can you do to alter that bad mood?
Solo
It's a tiny thing. And it only has 4 strings.
Duet
But pick it up and play with all your might
Solo
You will feel a mood change and tingly inside
Solo
Because the ukulele makes it all feel right!

Chorus
We play the uke. the Ukulele
We play to keep us sane
though some of us are crazy
Solo
to brighten up our day
Duet

Solo
We're all alone 'cause all our loved ones have flown

We're too busy on Youtube and UU
Solo
We're obsessive people - the uke is what we know
Solo
We can't wait for the next ukulele videooooo!

Chorus
We play to keep us sane
though Deach is plain crazy
Solo
to brighten up our day

BRIDGE
Solo
When you're down and out and there seems no hope at all.
Solo
Just pick up that uke and all your cares will falllllll
Lady solo
well, well, well, well, it's only got 4 strings 12 frets and a small hole
Duet
Just strum that bitch and let your mind be blownnnn!

Chorus
We eat hamburguesa
with mayonnais-ey

to brighten up our day

Chorus
We play to keep us sane
yeah Deach is still crazy

to brighten up our day

-Whattya think?

awesome song Alan! glad you worked hamburguesa in there :)

btw, what's a "deach"?

UKISOCIETY
04-14-2009, 11:30 AM
btw, what's a "deach"?

Some cereal. S'pose to be good for ya.

sukie
04-14-2009, 11:30 AM
I like it, Uki. Just for the record -- I don't really have a "solo" voice. You might want to keep that in mind.

UKISOCIETY
04-14-2009, 11:32 AM
I like it, Uki. Just for the record -- I don't really have a "solo" voice. You might want to keep that in mind.

yer in the chorus. Stand in the back. There ya go..!:p

benmealer
04-14-2009, 01:45 PM
oh man, alan, we're going to make the best video in the world with that song.

GrumpyCoyote
04-14-2009, 01:57 PM

KEN

Owch! I was so looking forward to that - next time for sure amigo!

We'll take lots of video for you.

ukebucket
04-14-2009, 05:47 PM
I'm kind of jumping on the bandwagon a bit too late, but...

1. Lisa, am I too late to request a t-shirt?

2. How many folks are sleeping "under the stars"? I'm bringing my tent!

This is going to be pretty awesome.

:)Amber.

lisaxy424
04-14-2009, 05:53 PM
I'm kind of jumping on the bandwagon a bit too late, but...

1. Lisa, am I too late to request a t-shirt?

2. How many folks are sleeping "under the stars"? I'm bringing my tent!

This is going to be pretty awesome.

:)Amber.

Not too late! I'll actually be putting in a "last call" pretty soon here so I get get them all ordered at once - that's when you can tell me a size, etc - I'll keep you posted! :)

This WILL be pretty awesome! :D

Link
04-14-2009, 06:37 PM
Keep me posted too please. I want one!

Sorry to hear, Ken. Was looking forward to bowing to you, kissing your rings, and worshipping the ground you walk on!

tryan
04-15-2009, 06:13 AM
well, damn. being that i live in indy, i was going to mosey down for the congress, but i will be in panama (with uke in tow) for the first two weeks of june.

y'all have a good time!

deach
04-15-2009, 06:15 AM
Keep me posted too please. I want one!

Sorry to hear, Ken. Was looking forward to bowing to you, kissing your rings, and worshipping the ground you walk on!

Ken doesn't walk on the ground, he graciously hovers above it.

DeG
04-15-2009, 05:30 PM
Ken, Sorry you won't be there. I was looking forward to meeting you :( Hopefully, this will become an annual thing and we'll have another chance.

GrumpyCoyote
04-15-2009, 06:44 PM
Tix purchased - I'm flying in Friday @ 4pm, renting a car and hauling ass for the party.:shaka:

See yall then.

lisaxy424
04-15-2009, 06:45 PM
Tix purchased - I'm flying in Friday @ 4pm, renting a car and hauling ass for the party.:shaka:

See yall then.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!
This is TOO COOL!!!
:smileybounce:

Spooner
04-16-2009, 07:25 PM
This sounds like a really cool event.
What a nice thing for Mainland to do as well.
Wish I could make it but I have "SpoonDuty" to attend to.

(am I the only one who hears the Deliverance theme when looking at the details?) :p

sukie
04-17-2009, 07:31 AM
I will be driving in from the Minneapolis area on Friday. If anyone needs a ride from Chicago or Indianapolis let me know and perhaps we can work something out. I'm pretty flexible about the time -- I'm stopping in the Chicago area Thursday night and can leave whenever. I'd just like to get to the Congress by six-ish.

P.s. I smoke (and it is my car) so if you're thinking I'm a leper....I can take breaks. Just want you to know.:D

Boozelele
04-17-2009, 10:23 AM

See yall then.

I guess I better get off my lazy ass.

UKISOCIETY
04-17-2009, 10:24 AM
I guess I better get off my lazy ass.

THIS.

As they used to say!;)

Boozelele
04-17-2009, 01:41 PM
ok....hide your women, children, and small pets....I am all booked. Ill be in at 4:00, same flight at Grumpycoyote.:shaka:

GrumpyCoyote
04-17-2009, 02:41 PM
ok....hide your women, children, and small pets....I am all booked. Ill be in at 4:00, same flight at Grumpycoyote.:shaka:

Epic. This will be legend.

So Russ, Booze, and I make three - leaving an empty seat in the jeep if someone needs a ride from the airport. Let me know - Otherwise we'll fill that seat at the liquor store on the way.

Boozelele
04-17-2009, 03:38 PM
Epic. This will be legend.

So Russ, Booze, and I make three - leaving an empty seat in the jeep if someone needs a ride from the airport. Let me know - Otherwise we'll fill that seat at the liquor store on the way.

Awesome, it's an hour drive. That should give us plenty of time to work on a group version of "Wildfire" and "Billy Don't Be a Hero" on the way.

DeG
04-17-2009, 04:22 PM
Otherwise we'll fill that seat at the liquor store on the way.

Any butt trying to take this seat, better be prepared for a kickin' :mad::D

Link
04-26-2009, 09:39 PM
It sucks REALLY bad for me to say this. But I will not be able to make it out. I hope this becomes a yearly thing, because I was really looking forward to meeting all of my favorite musicians.

LonnaB
04-28-2009, 07:51 AM
Alright Ladies and Gentlemen- I've finally ironed out my babysitting details.

Unfortunately, we will only be able to make it for the festivities on Saturday. We will be able to spend the night, and would be interested in staying at the cabin if it's not all booked up.

The T-Shirts look awesome! Count me in for a large and an extra large.

Oh, and add ShawnB to that list of attenders, 'cause I'm bringin' hubby with me!

We can't wait- it's gonna be uketastic.

pdrow1
04-28-2009, 08:23 AM
Wow, I just saw this thread. I live only an hour and a half south from the Greater Needmore metropolitan area. I'm fairly new to the uke, and would love the chance to learn a thing or two or three from some of my YouTube teachers I see posting here.

hoosierhiver
04-28-2009, 08:57 AM
Wow, I just saw this thread I live only an hour and a half south from the Greater Needmore metropolitan area. I'm fairly new to the uke, and would love the chance to learn a thing or two or three from some of my YouTube teachers I see posting here.

See you there!

pdrow1
04-28-2009, 09:29 AM
See you there!

Thanks! Speaking of Youtube, I just saw the video you just posted where you shook an entire swarm of bees from a tree to your hive/box thing-a-ma-jig. Unbelievable!

hoosierhiver
04-30-2009, 08:53 AM
Alright Gang,
I've got 2 the cabins filled. This one, http://www.mcginleyvacationcabins.com/ginleygulch.html

and this one,
http://www.mcginleyvacationcabins.com/kidsplace.html

If anyone is looking for a good place to stay near the event, I have this one reserved at the moment, but not filled. It is on the same drive as the Kid's place cabin. If anyone is interested in renting it, let me know.

William L
05-01-2009, 03:32 PM
Can charcol grills be used at the camp site?

hoosierhiver
05-02-2009, 08:31 AM
Can charcol grills be used at the camp site?

Absolutely!

GrumpyCoyote
05-02-2009, 10:34 PM
Alright Gang,
I've got 2 the cabins filled. This one, http://www.mcginleyvacationcabins.com/ginleygulch.html

and this one,

If anyone is looking for a good place to stay near the event, I have this one reserved at the moment, but not filled. It is on the same drive as the Kid's place cabin. If anyone is interested in renting it, let me know.

Looks great amigo - hot tub!

PM me if you have my check... Want to make sure I'm paying my share!

russ_buss
05-02-2009, 11:19 PM
Alright Gang,

and this one,

thanks for the update. i'm really looking forward to JUne! :D

iamdanielle
05-03-2009, 06:34 AM
So, awful, awful news... I unfortunately will not be able to make it to Indiana in June. I got a new job last week and on my first day of work my boss told me to absolutely not ask for any days off in June because she will already be understaffed. I can't tell you all how disappointed I am that I will not be able to meet you. I hope you all have a wonderful time, take lots of pictures and video footage!

Lisa, I would still like a t-shirt if possible so I can pretend I was there. My name obviously does not have to be on it anymore but I'd still like one anyway!

sukie
05-03-2009, 03:10 PM
Sorry about that. You'll be missed.

krabbers
05-04-2009, 04:33 AM
so as long as i can get bread,chips and beer i will be fine.

im flyng in to chicago. thursday or friday , flying out monday

still trying to work out best way to get there from o'hare

mailman
05-04-2009, 01:55 PM
How I wish I could be there! I have to schedule my vacation time for each year during the December prior. All my time is already accounted for.

If this is to be held another year, and if I can know the date by the December before....I'm so there!

Have tons of fun, and take lots of video and photos to share. Maybe at some point someone will do version of Elvis' "Return to Sender" for the mailman....

hoosierhiver
05-04-2009, 04:46 PM
Have tons of fun, and take lots of video and photos to share. Maybe at some point someone will do version of Elvis' "Return to Sender" for the mailman....

Or maybe Mr Postman?

mailman
05-05-2009, 01:29 AM
That'll work.... How 'bout "Take a Letter, Maria"?

hoosierhiver
05-11-2009, 10:42 AM
I think we are gonna have a huge turn out. I keep hearing from more and more folks who plan to come. Any mods gonna be there to chaperone?;)

DeG
05-11-2009, 12:17 PM
I think we are gonna have a huge turn out. I keep hearing from more and more folks who plan to come. Any mods gonna be there to chaperone?;)

Seeso's coming isn't he?? He can babysit the Junior Members :D

jkevinwolfe
05-12-2009, 01:25 AM
Update: Talked to Mike yesterday and "arrangements" are coming along nicely. (Basically Mike says he plans to drink a lot of beer and isn't looking to make this a commercial event, so don't expect much formal organization.) Expect a lot of impromptu happenings and jams to break out.

He said that the Mainland shop in Nashville will be open with a friend manning the place for the weekend and I advised him to stock up on strings. (Everyone from the Bushman Luau showed up at Mainland ukes this past weekend. It's rare that a town has two dedicated uke stores.) Anyone have a vintage VW Kombi with flower stickers on it we can use as the uke ambulance to run the 5 miles to Nashville to go to Mainland when a string breaks?

PoisonDart
05-12-2009, 05:18 AM
anyone from the chicago area have room for a hitchhiker?

hoosierhiver
05-12-2009, 05:41 AM
I'm planning open mics on the big stage for early evening and then move the music to the haywagon after we light the bonfire.

P-Uker
05-12-2009, 07:32 AM
I was in Nashville last weekend and checked out Mainland. I recognized Mike from youtube (hard to miss a guy with a ukulele dancing around a beehive) and he gave me a flyer for this event. Looks like most of the regular posters on here are staying in cabins. Are many people actually camping?

jkevinwolfe
05-12-2009, 07:37 AM
Mike,

I hope you don't mind me posting the schedule of events you sent me yesterday. (Though I hesitate to call it a "schedule." It's more a rough sketch of what might happen.)

SATURDAY: Morning time to explore Nashville and Brown County. Breakfast specials at a ma and pa place in Nashville.

Saturday evening and night will have more camp fire jamming and a few special performances in the main field.

SUNDAY: I think most people will be leaving on Sunday,but for those who are staying this will be a day to further explore the surrounding area or relax in the country. A few folks have talked about staying longer, I've already thought about some possible field trips.

Mike, I need to know is there's clean water to be had at the site. I'm debating bringing the espresso pot.

Time magazine is already billing this as Ukestock. At least, that's the rumor that I'm starting.

Kevin

hoosierhiver
05-12-2009, 10:03 AM
There is a water tap near the field. There is also the Needmore Store about a mile away, but they usually need more of about everything.:rolleyes:

hoosierhiver
05-12-2009, 10:04 AM
I was in Nashville last weekend and checked out Mainland. I recognized Mike from youtube (hard to miss a guy with a ukulele dancing around a beehive) and he gave me a flyer for this event. Looks like most of the regular posters on here are staying in cabins. Are many people actually camping?

Off hand I can think of more than a dozen folks who have said they are camping on site.

P-Uker
05-12-2009, 10:43 AM
Off hand I can think of more than a dozen folks who have said they are camping on site.

Thanks. I will plan on joining them, but if anyone who has committed to a room/bed in a cabin has to cancel at last minute, I would be interested in taking their spot. Sleeping on the ground just isn't as enjoyable as it used to be.

jkevinwolfe
05-12-2009, 04:28 PM
Mike,

How many are booked for the cabins? (Just curious since those folks will surely come.)

hoosierhiver
05-13-2009, 04:56 AM
Mike,

How many are booked for the cabins? (Just curious since those folks will surely come.)

About a dozen.

jkevinwolfe
05-13-2009, 08:38 AM
Add to that my count of at least five that are known to be camping, that's 129,000 ukulele players. If we exaggerate that like they did at Woodstock, Ukestock will be bigger.

Any cabins left?

hoosierhiver
05-13-2009, 08:48 AM
Any cabins left?

I think this one might still be open and is nearby. If there are a few more folks interested,we could rent it and fill it up..

http://www.mcginleyvacationcabins.com/dollhouse.html

P-Uker
05-13-2009, 08:59 AM
I think this one might still be open and is nearby. If there are a few more folks interested,we could rent it and fill it up..

http://www.mcginleyvacationcabins.com/dollhouse.html

Count me in on this if there is space available. Spending the weekend at the "Dollhouse"...hmmm

ukeshale
05-13-2009, 10:54 AM
anyone have a hankering to buy me a plane ticket?? :p

hoosierhiver
05-14-2009, 05:06 AM
France will be represented at the UWC !
Rel-Bar is flying in Thursday evening.

Check out his channel.
http://www.youtube.com/user/Ostropovitch :nana:

hoosierhiver
05-15-2009, 07:05 AM
I've been schemeing on some fun stuff, including a ukulele raffle and a new game, "Uke or Dare?" :D

sukie
05-15-2009, 07:07 AM
Uke or Dare? Sounds interesting.

russ_buss
05-15-2009, 08:27 AM
France will be represented at the UWC !
Rel-Bar is flying in Thursday evening.

Check out his channel.
http://www.youtube.com/user/Ostropovitch :nana:

wow, that's great!

I've been schemeing on some fun stuff, including a ukulele raffle and a new game, "Uke or Dare?" :D

looking forward to these "games"! (clothing optional, right?)

hoosierhiver
05-15-2009, 10:57 AM

As long as you have a stragetically placed ukulele.

sukie
05-15-2009, 12:12 PM
As long as you have a stragetically placed ukulele.

It'll be too late for the Stud Muffin contest :(

nikolo727
05-16-2009, 11:18 AM
ok people I dont know for sure yet, but I think I am going to be there. I still have to get the ok from my rents but I think im good to go. My dad wants to go to so i think we are good lol! are the shirts already ordered? Im not sure yet if im going but I would like to be added when I get the ok. Also can someone give me the exact adress of this place because gps's are very picky lol. one more question. If I dont pitch in for the cabins can we still go there to party but not stay at?

lisaxy424
05-16-2009, 03:12 PM
I'M ORDERING THE UKE CONGRESS SHIRTS ON MONDAY!!!
If you want one, PM ME NOWWWWWW please (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12622)

So far, I've got over 20 orders - you'll feel so lame without one!!!

mailman
05-16-2009, 05:04 PM
I sure hope you folks lucky enough to be going have assigned someone to video/photograph/record the goings-on for those of us who can't be there....

This just has to be shared!

DeG
05-17-2009, 04:23 PM
wow, that's great!

Russ Buff ?? Is it too late to get my deposit back ??:D

shanifawni
05-20-2009, 01:50 PM
i shall be photographing like MAD mr. mailman, don't you worry. its my one other major addiction besides the ukulele, i promise.

plus i'm a photo student, haha.

we'll have to have a post-UWC thread to share all photos/vids/etc etc. just to be organized. :)

hoosierhiver
05-20-2009, 02:10 PM
There will be alot of people coming for a day or evening or maybe just a few hours.There is plenty of parking. We will also have signs at the intersections as you get close. I am really curious to see how many people come.

carpekd
05-20-2009, 09:14 PM
When we get there, do we just drive into the field and set up our tent? Who owns the land?

hoosierhiver
05-21-2009, 05:48 AM
When we get there, do we just drive into the field and set up our tent? Who owns the land?

More or less, it'd be best if you parked, then had a little walk around to find a good spot to camp. I'll have some good shady spots mowed on the edges of the fields. Look around for me and I'll point you to a nice spot.

Needmore or "Kneadmore" as some locals spell it, has an interesting history. Back at the end of the 60's the granddaughter of Eli Lilly married a local hippie and as a wedding gift, they got something like $85 million. They immediately bought up as much land in my area as they could and started a hippie commune, everyone and anyone was invited and came. It was before my time, but I guess it was pretty crazy. After several years the founders abandoned the madness, after years and years, it has changed and evolved. Currently there are less than 20 members of the community. It is no longer a wild cultural experiment but simply a great area to live where people know their neighbors. the UWC will be held on Kneadmore community property, owned by the group. It has been the site of some great concerts including Toot's and the Maytals.

Bring camping clothes if you plan to be there for the duration. It will be hot during the day and a little chilly at night. So bring shorts and a pair of jeans and jacket. Boots might be a good idea if you plan to wander around much.

dominicfoundthemooon
05-21-2009, 05:51 AM
please oh please get some good video of this event.. i am so sad i wont be able to make it this year!!! its just i am driving the other direction and funds are all going to my move to CA so everyone make tons of youtube videos and post photos!! i will be there in spirit!

shanifawni
05-21-2009, 07:07 AM
whoa mike! that history iss interesting. that's so cool. i'm even more excited, i haven't been anywhere that interesting in a while. i'm so excited to meet all you beautiful ukulele playing individuals.

mailman
05-21-2009, 01:56 PM
i shall be photographing like MAD mr. mailman, don't you worry. its my one other major addiction besides the ukulele, i promise.

plus i'm a photo student, haha.

we'll have to have a post-UWC thread to share all photos/vids/etc etc. just to be organized. :)

Wonderful!! I'm counting on you, girl! The post UWC thread sounds like a great idea. I imagine at least some folks will bring laptops. Maybe we could see some YT vids during the UWC.... (hint, hint)

hoosierhiver
05-22-2009, 09:37 AM
Any one from Chicago got room for an extra ukester in their car?

J47403
05-22-2009, 10:48 AM
Just curious if a songbook compilation was going to be available before the World Congress. :anyone:

Have a Great Day,
J47403

UKISOCIETY
05-22-2009, 11:28 AM
Just curious if a songbook compilation was going to be available before the World Congress. :anyone:

Have a Great Day,
J47403

I hope to have one available on-line by next week.

hoosierhiver
05-22-2009, 04:44 PM

Have a Great Day,
J47403

I thought you had to take your wife to some knitting thing.;)

J47403
05-22-2009, 05:21 PM
I thought you had to take your wife to some knitting thing.;)

Yep a fiber and fleece show. But having this referred to as the Woodstock of Ukuleles has me thinking that it might have some action going on say as late as 10:00 pm. So if I can manage to get home by 7pm I'd have an opportunity to get over there by 8pm. But if you think it's to late...

None the less. I also have another motive. I haven't had my uke that long. Looking for some music.

Have a Great Day,
J47403

hoosierhiver
05-23-2009, 06:16 AM
I expect people will be playing around campfires late into the night.

bornagainjeeper
05-23-2009, 07:13 AM
i'm so excited about this i think i just peed a little...

shanifawni
05-23-2009, 03:58 PM
i'm so excited about this i think i just peed a little...

hahahahahahaha

that's the spirit!!

carpekd
05-23-2009, 08:45 PM
It's official...
I'll be there

veep
05-25-2009, 06:58 AM
looks like fun but I will not be there .

MrsMeyerMusic
05-25-2009, 09:05 AM
My husband, Chris (Meyeruke on here), and I plan to be there Friday night and maybe some of Saturday.

GrumpyCoyote
05-26-2009, 09:11 AM
Ok, the big questions I can't find on the interwebs...

1) Is there a liquor store in Nashville? Or is IN one of those “booze in every grocery” store type states?
2) Is there a cigar shop in Nashville? One with at least a half decent humidor?

Just trying to figure out what to pack…

Uke, booze, cigars… That just about covers the essentials.

The site also has a pretty big stage which people can crash on. I'm gonna have some sort of big tent-ish shelter as well.

It would be nice to have some scheduled classes or performances, volenteers please? I expect alot of playing around the bonfire, at the lake, and everywhere else.

So far,I picture a schedule something like this;

http://www.browncounty.com/static/index.cfm?action=group&contentID=2

SUNDAY: I think most people will be leaving on Sunday,but for those who are staying this will be a day to further explore the surrounding area or relax in the country.A few folks have talked about staying longer,I've already thought about some possible field trips.

UKISOCIETY
05-26-2009, 09:14 AM
Ok, the big questions I can't find on the interwebs...

1) Is there a liquor store in Nashville? Or is IN one of those “booze in every grocery” store type states?
2) Is there a cigar shop in Nashville? One with at least a half decent humidor?

Just trying to figure out what to pack…

Uke, booze, cigars… That just about covers the essentials.

Bacon. Don't forget the bacon. Or at least some beef jerky.

hoosierhiver
05-26-2009, 09:52 AM
1) Booze and beer:
Nashville has several places to buy alcohol. The cheapest is the CVS.
Next to the CVS is Hoosier Buddy Liquors which has more brands available.
The Needmore store which is maybe 1 mile away from the party field also sells basic brands of warm beer and ice, as well as basic foods

2) Cigars:
The "Mens Toy Shop" in Nashville has a decent selection of cigars

3) Uke stuff;
Mainland Ukes will be open Friday and Saturday from 10 to 5. Most likely Sunday too, if I'm not tooo hungover.

4) Food and other stuff:
Nashville IGA is the best place for groceries.
There is also a Family Dollar Store in the same area that has cheap camping stuff,towels,coolers, etc.

MrsMeyerMusic
05-27-2009, 09:06 AM
I just received an email that there's going to be another Bushman Ukulele Luau...the same week at the World Ukulele Congress!

UKISOCIETY
05-27-2009, 09:23 AM
I just received an email that there's going to be another Bushman Ukulele Luau...the same week at the World Ukulele Congress!

Pretty shrewd on Jon's part, although I'm not sure how it will benefit him. But I don't think Mike will mind much. Plenty of uke love to go around.

Bassukuguy
05-27-2009, 10:24 AM
yeah, thats kindof shady... oh well, what happens will happen.

deach
05-27-2009, 10:29 AM
Pretty shrewd on Jon's part, although I'm not sure how it will benefit him. But I don't think Mike will mind much. Plenty of uke love to go around.

yeah, thats kindof shady... oh well, what happens will happen.

Shrewd? Sounds more like sour grapes against former employees. According to ukulelereview.com ..."Interestingly, the entire Luau showed up at Mainland Friday and Saturday to try out Mike’s new ukes....."

UKISOCIETY
05-27-2009, 10:55 AM
Shrewd? Sounds more like sour grapes against former employees. According to ukulelereview.com ..."Interestingly, the entire Luau showed up at Mainland Friday and Saturday to try out Mike’s new ukes....."

I'm sure Bushman will sell a few ukes that weekend. I'd call that shrewd. I'd also call it trying to steal Mike's thunder, but I don't think that will happen. Bushman's having trouble getting ukes in stock, i've read.

deach
05-27-2009, 10:57 AM
I'm sure Bushman will sell a few ukes that weekend. I'd call that shrewd. I'd also call it trying to steal Mike's thunder, but I don't think that will happen. Bushman's having trouble getting ukes in stock, i've read.

I know one person who buys a lot of ukes, who will never buy a Bushman.

UKISOCIETY
05-27-2009, 10:57 AM
I know one person who buys a lot of ukes, who will never buy a Bushman.

Me and who else?:D

sukie
05-27-2009, 10:59 AM
The world is back in balance -- deach and Uki are here again. It's good to see you both.

UKISOCIETY
05-27-2009, 11:01 AM
The world is back in balance -- deach and Uki are here again. It's good to see you both.

We're not the same person!!!!:eek:

UKISOCIETY
05-27-2009, 11:02 AM
We're not the same person!!!!:eek:

That is to say, Deach is, but I'm not.

sukie
05-27-2009, 11:08 AM
Huh? details...

UKISOCIETY
05-27-2009, 11:10 AM
Huh? details...

Pay no attention to me. I'm stir crazy.

russ_buss
05-27-2009, 11:25 AM
whatever happens, still plenty of fun to be had. i hear there are a load of people coming. can't wait!:)

P-Uker
05-27-2009, 11:39 AM
Seems Bush league of Bushman (to me at least) since they had their shin dig a few weeks ago, but maybe there is more to the story than I know. Nevertheless, I am looking forward to a weekend of fun, a cold beer or two, and maybe just maybe improving my uke skills a bit.

Faricelli
05-27-2009, 03:07 PM
If anyone needs a ride down or wants to shorten their drive to Nashville PM me. I live just south of Valparaiso In. I am about three hours away.

tsud123
05-27-2009, 08:57 PM
this sounds like fun. that'd be cool to see all ya guys :D

seeso
05-27-2009, 08:57 PM
this sounds like fun. that'd be cool to see all ya guys :D

Hell yeah, it would! Hope you guys can get away one night.

krabbers
05-27-2009, 10:59 PM
any suggestions.
im worried in case i get stopped by customs bringing my fluke back into the uk . they might try and sting me for tax.

i might just bring my cheap soprano ,it compliments my cheap voice
also it would give me plenty of chances to try out everybody elses haha

my pyjamas are pressed and my boots are polished

UKISOCIETY
05-28-2009, 02:20 AM
any suggestions.
im worried in case i get stopped by customs bringing my fluke back into the uk . they might try and sting me for tax.

i might just bring my cheap soprano ,it compliments my cheap voice
also it would give me plenty of chances to try out everybody elses haha

my pyjamas are pressed and my boots are polished

Play customs some Formby - that'll sway them. :D

Perhaps you could borrow somebody's fluke while your in the states.. Russ will be there. Mike carries some in his shop, doesn't he?

UKISOCIETY
05-28-2009, 02:36 AM
Here's actual video footage of me packing for the Congress!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3iwyyjVQAk):D

I know! It's even more dull than you think!! ;)

jkevinwolfe
05-28-2009, 02:54 AM
Krabbers,

Do you have a receipt for the Fluke? I know in the US, you can visit the local customs office with the receipt and they draft up a waiver. I did this when I carried more than one camera abroad. Don't know the procedure in GB but I'm sure something similar exists.

veep
05-28-2009, 03:37 AM
Man this looks like so much fun maybe some day I can go .

sukie
05-28-2009, 03:56 AM
I'm having a difficult time deciding which ukuleles to bring along -- like I have so many -- but maybe I can find a suitcase like Uki's where they'll all fit.

hoosierhiver
05-28-2009, 04:56 AM
I've got an extra uke or two Krabbers.

PoisonDart
05-28-2009, 05:13 AM
anybody doing a caravan starting in (passing through) Chicago and need an extra passenger?

mailman
05-28-2009, 01:31 PM
Here's actual video footage of me packing for the Congress!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3iwyyjVQAk):D

I know! It's even more dull than you think!! ;)

Uki.... what fun! Loved the video and the music. Have a blast at the Congress. What're the chances that you'll go home with more ukes than you packed?

Bassukuguy
05-29-2009, 11:48 AM
hey, so making arrangements to get there. what is the closest street address i can get remotely close with mapquest/googlemaps? or should i just put in Needmore and ill be able to make it?

Boozelele
05-29-2009, 04:05 PM
Ok, I'll go.

Hey grump, I've got a couple cubans in my Humidor. I'll bring you one. (unfortunately they've been in there for some time). We should stop of more for sure. I'll look for you in Houston. Russ's pathetic ass will meet us in the Indy airport.

I'm looking forward to meeting everyone and I am especially looking forward to toasting Mike for hosting this little shin-dig. (of course i'll toast pretty much anything).

hoosierhiver
05-29-2009, 06:13 PM
hey, so making arrangements to get there. what is the closest street address i can get remotely close with mapquest/googlemaps? or should i just put in Needmore and ill be able to make it?

4600 Plum Creek Road Nashville Indiana 47448 should work. It's the Needmore in Brown County by the way.

HoboUke
05-30-2009, 01:48 AM
Mike, I'm gonna do my darnd'est to be there Brutha.
Looking forward to it.

~Sam

Link
05-30-2009, 10:34 AM
I hope yall have fun. We need to make this a yearly thing for sure, I'd be there next year.

hoosierhiver
05-30-2009, 12:22 PM
Mike, I'm gonna do my darnd'est to be there Brutha.
Looking forward to it.

~Sam

It'd be great to see you again Sam !
I think there will be at least 6 people from the Louisville area.

xohsnapcrystal
05-30-2009, 01:42 PM
...i'm SO glad I live in indiana! XD

Bassukuguy
05-30-2009, 02:22 PM
making final plans now, and ill be bringing my +1! what time is everyone planning on getting there? just for a time reference.

jkevinwolfe
05-30-2009, 05:16 PM
Bringing Seeso and friend 2pm-ish Friday.

UKISOCIETY
05-30-2009, 06:03 PM
Heather, Colin, Macbeth (my blind dog) and I will be eating lunch in Nashville Friday and will meet up with my brother, Jamey (he plays uke too), and his wife to participate in the festivities Friday, Saturday and Sunday too!

I'm looking forward to meeting all of you that I feel I already know! :shaka:

DeG
05-30-2009, 06:10 PM
I hoping to be rolling in around 1-2 Friday afternoon. Picking up BenMealer on the way :shaka:

krabbers
05-31-2009, 03:46 AM
i will be leaving ENGLAND friday morning ,

hoosierhiver
05-31-2009, 04:30 AM
and so ya know, cell phones don't work at the UWC site, too far from Babylon. :D

dave g
05-31-2009, 06:14 AM
Kristi & I will be there ~2ish to 5ish friday :)

Could someone pinpoint the spot on MapQuest or something & post a link?

hoosierhiver
05-31-2009, 06:37 AM
Kristi & I will be there ~2ish to 5ish friday :)

Could someone pinpoint the spot on MapQuest or something & post a link?

Looking forward to meeting you Dave, hope your'e bringing some of those sweet handmade banjo-ukes to show off.
4600 Plum Creek Rd Nashville Indiana 47448 will get you there on Mapquest.

Aldrine Guerrero
05-31-2009, 09:03 AM
Gawd... I can't believe I'm missing out on this. Imma save up now so I can attend next year
:wallbash:

hoosierhiver
05-31-2009, 09:19 AM
Gawd... I can't believe I'm missing out on this. Imma save up now so I can attend next year
:wallbash:

Maybe we'll work it into the UU world tour.

Aldrine Guerrero
05-31-2009, 09:30 AM
'kay

Hope you guys have a blasty blast! Mind your bedtimes and don't stay up too late. :old:

benmealer
05-31-2009, 09:57 AM
Packing my stuff now:nana:

sukie
05-31-2009, 04:39 PM
I think we will arrive about 6:30 or so.

J47403
05-31-2009, 05:36 PM
I drove out to the site of the upcoming World Ukulele Congress today going through Bloomington, Indiana. Still hoping to make it by 8:00 pm on Saturday, I wanted to make sure I knew how to get there. What a beautiful drive along Hwy 45. Just checked the 10 day weather forecast for Bloomington which is almost next door. Next Friday and Saturday is predicted to have absolutely beautiful weather. With Friday to be sunny and high expected of 77 degrees. Saturday is forecast to be partly cloudy and high expected of 77 degrees.

This event has the makings of being really terrific! :cheers:

Have a Great Day,
J47403

krabbers
05-31-2009, 09:39 PM
I think we will arrive about 6:30 or so.
i think we may loose an hour going into indiana,, is it a different timezone

sukie
06-01-2009, 03:40 AM
i think we may loose an hour going into indiana,, is it a different timezone

Maybe that's why I put "or so". Are we gonna miss dinner? Crap!

hoosierhiver
06-01-2009, 05:29 AM
Here's an update on the lowdown.

5pm. Hanging out, setting up, meeting your friends and precursory jamming.

7pm. Needmore community pot-luck in the big tent. The neighbors and participants will be bringing food to share with all the players and attendees.

7pm to 9pm. Open mic with PA on the main stage.

9:30pm-ish Music moves to the Bonfire with lots of fun late into the night.

SATURDAY: Morning time to explore Nashville and Brown County or sleep in. Breakfast specials at a ma and pa place in Nashville.

EARLY AFTERNOON: We will meet up again in Needmore for a lazy country afternoon in Needmore with jams led by UKISOCIETY.

5PM: Group photos and group videos

6PM-9PM: Open Mic on main stage with PA
Saturday evening and night will have more camp fire jamming and more tahn a few special performances in the main field.

SUNDAY: I think most people will be leaving on Sunday,but for those who are staying this will be a day to further explore the surrounding area or relax in the country. A few folks have talked about staying longer, I've already thought about some possible field trips.

Alot of people want to perform and there will be plenty of opportunity for this, I'm really excited to see everyone "live"!

russ_buss
06-01-2009, 07:47 AM
thanks for the update Mike! that schedule sounds like loads of fun. i'm so looking forward to this!

LonnaB
06-01-2009, 08:28 AM
I'm getting excited!

I need this like crazy!

I think Shawn and I are gonna try and be down as soon as possible on Saturday and will probably come home late Saturday night. But, I look forward to getting in as much ukulele as possible!

Whooooeeee!:cheers:

LonnaB
06-01-2009, 08:29 AM
Oh, also....

Are we going to have name tags? Seems kind of cheesy and obvious but it might help some of us out. I have the CRS, ya know.

hoosierhiver
06-01-2009, 08:38 AM
Oh, also....

Are we going to have name tags? Seems kind of cheesy and obvious but it might help some of us out. I have the CRS, ya know.

That would be kind of fun.

sukie
06-01-2009, 09:16 AM
. I have the CRS, ya know.

I probably have it too, but what is it?

hoosierhiver
06-01-2009, 09:25 AM
I probably have it too, but what is it?

Sounds familiar, maybe there's a pandemic?

sukie
06-01-2009, 09:32 AM
Hey Mike, how do we know which cabin to check in to? (Should I just be reading my old PM's for this?)

LonnaB
06-01-2009, 09:54 AM
Sounds familiar, maybe there's a pandemic?

Yep. If you've heard it before and can't remember what it stands for, you might have it, too!

I first heard this term while I was pregnant, as a lot of expectant mothers suffer from it.

It stands for Can't Remember Sh*t ;)

sukie
06-01-2009, 11:41 AM
Oh! For sure I have it.

hoosierhiver
06-01-2009, 12:20 PM
Oh! For sure I have it.

have what?

seeso
06-01-2009, 12:21 PM
5PM: Group photos and group videos

We need a UWC Choir rendition of "Elephant Town" for this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jhvg2c9kTic

sukie
06-01-2009, 12:37 PM
I can probably manage to sing that.