String Change-Waiting Period

hent

Reaction score
Hello folks. When trying out for a new set of strings how long do you normally wait before changing it to the next set that you next want to try or do you just go to the next set right away? And once you find the right string for your instrument, do you normally keep the ones you tried and did not like or give them away or sell them or donate them or throw them away?

I havn't learnt any rule or time guide to follow when changing strings. I personally, keep playing the new strings for weeks to month. Normally I feel the strings sound better and better as time past. Until they stretch enough. I try to avoid mis-judge the strings at the early time. I do not throw away the strings I have tried. Unless they are old or broken. If someone needs or I feel they may like to try my strings, I will give them away.
Hope that helps you. Happy strumming:)

Unless I really hate them (e.g. the stock strings that all of my Kamakas have come with) I keep strings on for about three months before changing them, but then I only have three ukes and I play them all a lot. I tend to stick with one type of strings (currently D'Addario Nyltechs) and buy in multiples on Amazon, so sometimes I change string loyalties and end up with a bunch of unused strings of another brand, which I always pass on to other uke players.

Ok. I have 3 sets of new strings that I want to try out and taken for granted I wait 3 to 4 months on each string then that's a whole year of wait. LOL. We'll maybe I just have to be patient or maybe try to put the other set of strings on some other ukulele or cut back to couple of months on each string. That's still 6 months of wait!! LOL.

If the objective is to try different strings, then no reason to wait a couple months - I thought you were asking how often strings needed to be changed, to which 3 months is a good average for a daily player. But if you're just experimenting, by all means do it sooner!

The thing is, strings take time to settle in - a week or two, so you really won't know right away how they really sound. I've put strings on a uke and been underwhelmed, only to revisit it a week or two later and been blown away by how great they sound. So I'd still say give it some time between string changes - maybe not three months, but a good two or three weeks :)

If you are playing frequently enough, you will keep tuning so many times everyday. Then some strings will settle in within a week. Some take two or so. Different materials take varies time. I have tried Aquila, living water, Worth clear & brown, D'Addario all four types (T2, clear nylon, black nylon, & nyltech), Savarez. Now I am playing Southcoast, and waiting another set of Southcoast arrive. I only play one main ukulele. It really takes time.;) plus some work on changing nuts for different strings.:D
There are many members that spent much much more time and experiment many many more strings than me.:) I am just having little fun on my ukulele. I hope you will enjoy the time spending on your ukulele and experimenting strings.:D Happy strumming!

Last edited:
Hello, and sorry if I wasn't clear enough on asking my question. Anyway I just want to try out different strings and I hear different opinions on how long the wait should be before putting the next set to be tested. The most common is just a few days and then move on to the next one then to the next....And a guy commented that if in a few days if the sound stays the same, then it won't change a lot more so you can move on to the next set of strings. That's why I'm getting an idea on how members do it here on the forum.

So, you're wanting to wait long enough and see how they are going to play for you, then try some more. If you leave enough extra, wouldn't you be able to take them off and reuse them at a later date?

I am hooked on one type right now, so I haven't done any string experimentation. Good question - food for thought.

I'm getting a little crazy with string changes recently. Southcoasts had become my go to strings and I have them on my LFDM tenor and Mya-Moe baritone. But then Fremont Blacklines sounded best on my two sopranos. I think I'm going to stick with these two brands on these ukuleles.

For some reason the Southcoasts sounded thin on my MP Custom tenor so then I went to Aquila, then Fremont Blacks, and now Kala Red nylons (with a wound Low-G). The nylon strings gave my MP Custom a huge boost in volume and resonance (very full sound) but it's not as sweet as the Fremont Blacks that had less volume. I wait about a week before changing strings.

The LFDM is a superstar instrument but I find myself still reaching for the MP Custom tenor first. I'm looking for sweetness, volume, resonance, and comfort from the strings. If the nylons were a little bit sweeter and thinner then they would be perfect. Now I'm going to try other nylon options but may also give Southcoast linear strings another chance in the future.

This is totally insane but a lot more affordable than my previous habit of acquiring more ukuleles.

Yeah, cheaper than buying a uke but still adds up depending on how many ukes you own.

For strings I don't like, they don't last more than a week and that's because I don't have a new set to try. Within a day or two, I know if I will like the strings.

If I don't plan to use the strings in the future, I just pass them on.

I'm getting a little crazy with string changes recently. Southcoasts had become my go to strings and I have them on my LFDM tenor and Mya-Moe baritone. But then Fremont Blacklines sounded best on my two sopranos. I think I'm going to stick with these two brands on these ukuleles.

For some reason the Southcoasts sounded thin on my MP Custom tenor so then I went to Aquila, then Fremont Blacks, and now Kala Red nylons (with a wound Low-G). The nylon strings gave my MP Custom a huge boost in volume and resonance (very full sound) but it's not as sweet as the Fremont Blacks that had less volume. I wait about a week before changing strings.

The LFDM is a superstar instrument but I find myself still reaching for the MP Custom tenor first. I'm looking for sweetness, volume, resonance, and comfort from the strings. If the nylons were a little bit sweeter and thinner then they would be perfect. Now I'm going to try other nylon options but may also give Southcoast linear strings another chance in the future.

This is totally insane but a lot more affordable than my previous habit of acquiring more ukuleles.

If you leave enough extra, wouldn't you be able to take them off and reuse them at a later date?

Good point Ukejenny. I never thought of that.

Newkid you da man! I wish I have those nice ukes like yours!

I try to leave them on for a few weeks unless I absolutely can't stand them. It's all part of the learning curve. When I take them off I throw them away.

I would at least be patient until the strings stretch enough, it is the time when doing less tuning everytime pick up the ukulele. This is the sign the strings are getting stable. I try to avoid mis-judge them at the early stage. My humble opinion.

I bet that it most likely depends on how much you want to spend!?! I would suggest that you at least wait long enough for them to "stretch" that way the sound should be more consistent. Not sure that the Strings matter that much while we are still learning though.

I think everybody has their preferences in changing and trying out new strings. From basically nongdam's a day or two, he would know if he's going to like the strings, and other members concept of waiting it out until the strings are stretch out and the unwanted strings being donated or given away. Thanks.

Yeah- what about saving them for different tunings or string order? Got a folk harp?
anyone ever tried classical guitar strings, or is that not necessary? I don't know, I haven't looked at strings yet-

probably try daddario first cause I like their classical guitar strings

I've usually found that I know within a few days whether I like the new strings or not. Once I've found strings I like, I tend to stick with them.

Top Bottom