MP Ukuleles neck

SnakeOiler

Reaction score
Sorry to hog all the thread space. But this is a big decision on my part and I'm trying to get all the info I can.
I'm leaning towards getting a custom Uke from MP. The issue I'm concerned with is the neck profile. I like 'em thin and narrow (like my women). If anyone here has one, what's you take on this?

Last edited:
Could you request a thin/narrow neck from him? he seems like an easy to work with.

I've brought it up in our communications. And I agree, that's one of the reasons I think I'm going with him. He seems pretty mellow. Although he does seem to be one of the lesser experienced builders.

Before he was building ukes, he was working for National, which would be the opposite of inexperienced. Pete makes a thinner neck but I have a non custom MP. Sometimes my hands cramp on the smaller neck so I like the MP. It's thinner than the Pono. The fretboard has plenty of space for clumsy fingers. But that's my MP. Ask if he can build to your spec.

I wanted an outside opinion so I had my husband play. He thought the neck and fretboard was fine, but that the fret too raised. I've had thicker frets, so it doesn't bother me at all. Of course we both agreed that this is easily addressed without sending it back. He also wonders if he finds frets too big on a tiny instrument. But that's the cool thing about custom. He could go fretless.

When I asked Mike if it was possible to get a thinner neck he said he could make the neck whatever size I want it. I am very happy with both my MP ukes.

If you know of an existing production uke that has the neck shape you want, mention that one to the builder and he can probably dig up the specs to make you something similar.

I'm no luthier but I would caution on going too thin on the neck, unless he supports it like some do. You wouldn't want to have neck problems in the future. I wonder if there is a formula out there for minimum neck thickness, perhaps Chuck or Pete can comment on this...perhaps this is the wrong forum, ha!

GX, Thanks for sharing your experiences. I've watched your youtube vids, dang, how many ukes do you own? It's good to see you back up your comments with first hand experience. I too agree that it's not about which is "good" and which is "bad", but it's important for those who haven't has the experience to play a well built custom, to know that there really is a difference. Some of the price difference is the fancy stuff like inlays and multiple layers of finish, but some of it is also labor. I would assume there is much more hours of individualized work, which if done correctly, will yeild an instrument of craftsmanship at a higher standard that "most" off the self ukes.

After reading this discussion, I had to go pick up a couple of my customs.

Talk to Mike--he's a straight shooter and a real down to earth guy, and also one heck of a skilled builder. I'm willing to bet he'll have no trouble accommodating your neck profile and nut width preferences. :D I had him do a 1.5 inch nut width on my MP tenor and it plays like butter!

I'm no luthier but I would caution on going too thin on the neck, unless he supports it like some do. You wouldn't want to have neck problems in the future.

I dunno, the Kamaka I'm selling to pay for this has a neck with the thinnest neck I've ever seen, and it's still straight after almost 80 years.

I too have a neck profile preference, however I like them bigger. My question is other than to go and try it out in person, is there a way to tell if the neck profile is close to what you would prefer? I see measurement data on the nut, bridge and other parts of many ukes on the net, but have yet to see a neck profile measurement. While looks is the first thing noticed of a uke in a store... neck profile seems to be one factor that is second or third as we hold a uke in playing position for the first time.

d4H

I dunno, the Kamaka I'm selling to pay for this has a neck with the thinnest neck I've ever seen, and it's still straight after almost 80 years.

Isn't the Kamaka a standard though, if you go with a tenor, the string tension will be greater. I'm sure Mike is skilled enough to know the minimum thickness, just thought I'd share. I'd hate for you to come back months later to say the skinny neck in your uke is bowing.

Top Bottom