Best Uke store in the Northeast (U.S.)?

vick2121

Reaction score
Yeah, I know I'm only 2 months in to this, but you all know one uke is not enough. Got the cheap learner (Lanikai LM-CCA, ebay sale), now planning for a future buy.

Nothing local for the higher end ukes, so a road trip is required. What is THE best uke store in the Northeast? Best to me means (in order)

1) Widest selection of better ukulele's
2) A store that does competent setups
3) A uke player on staff

Recommendations of the best shop you've been to?

(edit) And distance doesn't matter, as long as it's in the NE! :)

Much appreciated!

Last edited:
Bernunzio Music in Rochester, not too far from you.

Mandolin Brothers in Staten Island, NY doesn't have a huge selection, but it's such a great store, it's so worth visiting.

Music Emporium in Lexington, MA has a good selection of higher-end ukes.

+1 for the Music Emporium in Lexington, MA. Selection can vary, but you can always check their website to see what is in stock. Knowledgeable staff too!

The Magic Fluke Company is only about 3 hours from you in Sheffield, Ma.

I know that sounds far, but it's at least a couple of hours closer than any of the other suggestions so far.

Scooter

Maple Leaf Music in Brattleboro, VT often has a good selection - but check their website first.

Bernunzio Music in Rochester, not too far from you. +1

Music Emporium carries some high end ukes. The people there are very nice. In my experience, the high end ukes on display in the store are pretty much the ones listed on their website, and if a uke says SOLD on the website, don't expect to find another one for sale in the store. I think they might have more Kalas, Fleas, and Flukes on display than are listed on the website, but I can't say for sure.

I'm not criticizing the Music Emporium, I'm just saying that before you make a 4-5 hour road trip, you should decide what you are hoping to get out of it. If you want to play, compare, and buy from among the ukuleles listed on their website, it would certainly be worth the trip. If you are hoping to play multiple Kamaka tenors and pick the one you like best, you will probably not have that opportunity there. Also, bring a tuner with you.

Bernunzio Music appears to be mid-low to low end ukes. I'm looking for my next to last uke (he says knowing it may be the last, but who also can't shut the door)

Bernunzio Music appears to be mid-low to low end ukes. I'm looking for my next to last uke (he says knowing it may be the last, but who also can't shut the door)

Yeah, good luck with that. :)

Bernunzio changes stock a lot. They often carry higher-end stuff, but I agree, their current stock is a bit mid-range.

I'm not sure where you draw the line between mid and high end so you may be right. It mostly caters to Eastman string students but whenever I go in there I find some amazing instrument (not just ukes) and spend a lot of time contemplating whether I should sell my car to get it.

I'm not sure where you draw the line between mid and high end so you may be right. It mostly caters to Eastman string students but whenever I go in there I find some amazing instrument (not just ukes) and spend a lot of time contemplating whether I should sell my car to get it.

Thanks to you and Rich, I'll keep my eye on them then!

I guess I would consider >$1000 to be high end. Not that I would ignore anything south of that that still sounded good to me

Last edited:
I got my Pono Acacia Tenor Deluxe from Funky Frets in Boyertown, PA. Map says it's about 3.5 hours away, but if you want to test out a bunch of ukes, they always have a lot in-stock. Call them first to ask what they have so you can at least know if it's worth the trip.
600 E Philadelphia Ave, Boyertown, PA ‎(484) 415-9677

Top Bottom