Martin M600's and Worth CM's

Ukejenny

Reaction score
I am looking for a low tension string and was wondering how these two compare. I want the least amount of effort needed to get to the fret. Right now I'm using Worth CM's and am wondering if it will be worth trying the Martin M600's. I do not understand the tensions and was wondering which one has the lowest. I'm looking for buttery smooth, easy playing.

Aloha Jen,
Try the Oasis strings or Salverez strings...but if you are looking for playability, get thinner guage light strings...they improve playability and comfort but sacafrice on tone..
higher tension strings provide better tone..it's a trade off.. I do not like worth mediums, but Martins M600 is a medium strings that offers in the middle tone and comfort...
thinner guage strings such as Oasis, PHD, and living waters offer comfort....even light southcoast and worths... oasis is sold by strings by mail...good luck...hope it helps :)

Aloha Jen,
Try the Oasis strings or Salverez strings...but if you are looking for playability, get thinner guage light strings...they improve playability and comfort but sacafrice on tone..
higher tension strings provide better tone..it's a trade off.. I do not like worth mediums, but Martins M600 is a medium strings that offers in the middle tone and comfort...
thinner guage strings such as Oasis, PHD, and living waters offer comfort....even light southcoast and worths... oasis is sold by strings by mail...good luck...hope it helps :)

Mahalo! Oh goodness, now I have even more choices. So, are you saying that Worth lights will be a thinner gauge? Perhaps I need to jump into the deep and and order a few sets and play around.

Between the two makes that you named, I've tried both and IMO, think the Martins are easier to play. I also think the Martins have a better tone and sustain (less dull sounding) than the Worths, especially at the higher frets.

My :2cents:

Between the two makes that you named, I've tried both and IMO, think the Martins are easier to play. I also think the Martins have a better tone and sustain (less dull sounding) than the Worths, especially at the higher frets.

My :2cents:

This is exactly how I would judge these strings as well. I certainly prefer the Martins over worths, though Southcoast's beat 'em hands down. You can also address the tension issue by tuning down a tone or so.

If you haven't over to the southcoast site, it's worth a visit. Dirk has tonnes of great info on strings in general.

Hi, Ukejenny!

I am in the same boat as you! My story is that I just bought a Martin T1K and it came with the Martin M620's for the tenor; I like the strings, but I, too, was wondering if there might be something out there that was a little more "buttery," to use your word. :) I also just had the action adjusted on my new Martin, so that is good, too, but I still feel like I wonder if there's something "lighter" for strings. I learned that to have this (lighter strings), it means sacrificing tone, as my good friend, Stan mentions (and told me, too, when I asked for his advice).

The uke that I recently just sold had the Worth CMs; I really liked them, too. I think, for me, the Martins feel a little lighter than the Worths...but, I am just a noob who doesn't really know much about what to look for or expect. I only know that with my fretting hand/wrist issues of pain, etc., I need something that requires very little effort with respect to fretting.

I just ordered a set of PhDs from UU a few days ago; I will also be ordering the strings Stan mentions, Oasis and Salverez. I also ordered another set of Martin M620s, too.

Let me know what you think when you try out your strings and we can compare notes! I would really love that! :)

Happy strummings!
~ Chelle :)

I'm not really a string junky, but probably the lightest tension and easiest-to-play strings I've come across are Freemont Blacklines. I think they're labeled as "medium" tension. They sound great, too.

Lowest tension strings I've played are D'Addario T2 Titanium. I didn't like them; they were not very loud. I've used Oasis, Martin M600, and Worth CM and can't tell the difference between them. Worth CL are the only strings I'll use on my KoAloha and KoAlana. The builders did the research to know the best strings for those two sweeties. Nice thing about the Martins is that almost every music store has them. I like the Martins as well as any strings on the other ukuleles.

I have Worth Clear's on a Mainland Tenor and have them tuned down a whole step to Bb tuning. That really helps with the ease of playing / lesser tension. Sounds cooler and jazzier too.

I'm just a "regular guy" player. These are my two favorite string sets. I really don't notice a difference... like 'em both... and both seem buttery smooth and soft to me... that's exactly why I use 'em.

Hi, Ukejenny!

Let me know what you think when you try out your strings and we can compare notes! I would really love that! :)

Happy strummings!
~ Chelle :)

I will do that. Thanks so much, gang. As always, our ohana here at UU is such a wonderful resource. Inspiring.

I have my concert Ohana in for a nut adjustment and to check and make sure the bridge isn't lifting. They said it isn't and that put my mind at ease. Can't wait to get it back and see what it feels like.

I have Worth CM's on it at the moment. I think the next string to try will be the Martin M600's and then I will start in on the other strings listed here. Don't know how far I will get, but it will be fun.

Mahalo, UU peeps!

Top Bottom