Active under saddle piezo questions - Size & Battery Changing

aytacf

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm planning to invest on a LR Baggs Five.O pickup for my tenor ukulele.

Could the spacings of my strings be a problem for the piezo, or are all ukulele specific piezos built in one size (meaning fitting to all soprano/tenor/baritone) ?

Another thing is I will definitely have the help of a luthier installing the pickup. I am confused as to just exactly where the 9V batter will sit. For a Fishman Matrix Infinity it seems it's on the part where you insert the jack (but inside the ukulele), for the LR Baggs is it the same? In this case, isn't replacing the battery a really big hassle, with taking down the endpin and removing the chip etc. Can someone point me to a video involving how to replace the battery maybe?

also any reccomendations between the Fishman and LR Baggs might be appreciated. For me the Fishman's extra tone control seems like an overkill, because I am of the amateurish opinion that when you take down the "tone" from an instrument a little bit the thing sounds dull/dead...

looking at the two photos I see that Fishman has two parts, but the LR Baggs maybe has three parts?? there's the volume control, and then there's like one a bit smaller... Anyone can tell me what that is?
http://www.amazon.com/LR-Baggs-FIVE-O-Ukulele-Pickup/dp/B007CLTSJE/ref=pd_sim_sbs_MI_7

oh you're right, don't know why I was so convinced that 9V was the only option... so does the baggs' 3V make it less durable in terms of battery hours?

with 9V it appears you have to take the endpin out from the soundhole each time, but maybe the Baggs with 3V might come off from the endpin hole for an easier battery replacing??

oh you're right, don't know why I was so convinced that 9V was the only option... so does the baggs' 3V make it less durable in terms of battery hours?

with 9V it appears you have to take the endpin out from the soundhole each time, but maybe the Baggs with 3V might come off from the endpin hole for an easier battery replacing??

If you get a MiSi Acoustic Trio you never have to worry about a battery. It uses an LR Baggs element and has for years until LR Baggs decided to get into the uke pickup business. These are under saddle so string distance should make no difference on the under the saddle installation. I have both pickups on several instruments and both provide clear sound which is accurately reproduced through my amps. The differences are so subtle you really can't tell. The MiSi is nice as you never need batteries, just recharge it for a minute and your good for a few days of playing through an amp for sure.

For either L.R. Baggs 5.0 or the MiSi It does not matter if you have a concert, tenor, baritone, same pickup and element. There will be more of the element dangling inside the body on the smaller body to which any qualified luthier will neatly zip tie it up and secure it to the side inside so that it's not moving around or touching anything to create a buzz. I really like both pickups and have no issues with either. Both use the L.R. Baggs element and I am not sure of the pc board differences as I have not studied the schematics of their boards.

I think they are both two sharp knives that can slice tomatoes very thinly. Which is a better knife if they both do the same? Sometimes hard to tell, personal preference.

You'll get 300 hours of play from the Baggs 5=0 battery. It's about the size of a quarter and it can be placed most anywhere. I usually put it on the side upper bout.

that was excellent news! I'll get the LR baggs for sure now, as re-inserting the battery seems to be without any hassle.

thank you all for the kind responses!

Top Bottom