PDA

View Full Version : Belt sander question

lakesideglenn
10-02-2013, 02:09 PM
Hi all,
I just acquired a 36 inch combo belt/ disk sander and I want to try making some bone saddles for a couple of my ukes and guitars. I have a few saddle blanks that are a bit thick and I'm wondering what grit sanding belt to use before I hand sand with some finer grit. I'm thinking a #220 grit will do for the rough stuff before I hand sand.
Any thoughts, comments or suggestions would be much appreciated!

lauburu
10-02-2013, 08:56 PM
Dust extraction on full blast and wear a mask. The smell of sanded bone is not a pleasant one. I used 150 grit on a belt sander to rough out the blanks. The bone disappeared at an alarming rate. If the blanks are just a bit oversized I'd hand sand.
Miguel

Radio Flyer
10-03-2013, 06:16 AM
bone dust, any animal by-product dust should be considered carcinogenic and treated with care.

PhilUSAFRet
10-03-2013, 06:48 AM
As a lapidary, I have to wonder if anyone has used a lapidary wet sander for working with bone? Very similar to working with softer semi-precious gems and would eliminate the dust problem. The least expensive little horizontal outfit would work and inexpensive silicon carbide wet 4" to 6" flat sanding discs range from 100 grit to 600 grit and beyond. Could get that bone as glossy as you want quickly.

ernie kleinman
10-05-2013, 03:12 AM
there is a small jig gleaned from the somogyi book, which is ideal fro holding nuts and saddles while using the disc/belt sander. Sorry don/t know how to post pics.

fromthee2me
10-06-2013, 07:39 PM
Changing the belt is comparitvely easy, but the disk is glued on and that makes it more inconvenient, BUT I would still not be without that machine. I have not reached the instrument building stage, but for ordinary wood work that combo sander is always handy.

rudy
10-07-2013, 02:43 PM
Changing the belt is comparitvely easy, but the disk is glued on and that makes it more inconvenient, BUT I would still not be without that machine. I have not reached the instrument building stage, but for ordinary wood work that combo sander is always handy.
Buy a box of PSA disks. When it's time to change just sand end grain hardwood for about a minute to warm the backing plate up a bit so the disk will peel off easily.