UAS not fulfilled so went another way.

KohanMike

Los Angeles, Beverly Grove West
UU VIP
Reaction score
Following up on the post I made about having uke acquisition syndrome for a Kala Pacific walnut uke, and ultimately not fulfilling it, I ended up making another purchase instead. UAAS, uke accessory acquisition syndrome.

It came about after I attended the CC Strummers group in Culver City California on Monday, and Tuesday attended my first WLA Ukulele Ensemble meeting.

I carry my tenor uke in a gig bag backpack style, and also a collapsible music stand in a small tripod bag slug over one shoulder, and a heavy 3 ring binder/carry bag with a pouch for my iPad & foot pedal, slug over the other shoulder. In other words, it's a bunch to lug, especially since I had my right hip replaced 5 weeks ago.

I decided I will simplify my load by moving all my sheet music to the iPad, which will eliminate the binder carry bag, use the iPad on a table, which will eliminate the music stand, then buy a hard shell case that has enough storage for the iPad & foot pedal.

I found the Kala Tenor Ukulele Hard Foam Case UC-T online for $39.99, free shipping, no tax (all my ukes are tenors). It has a large pouch outside for the iPad, additional storage inside, and backpack straps. This will bring it down to one item to carry that will also protect my ukes much better. Should be here next week. I have to say, my thirst was quenched.

Sounds like a plan. Eventually, a deal on the "right uke" will come along and UAS will kick in again. Good luck.

Sounds like a great solution to your packing needs. I have an old luggage roller that I use when toting lots of stuff around. A couple of bungee chords from the bottom to the handles allows me to stack things forward and up and I can pretty easily roll it around. Stairs are fun, but other than that, it is very convenient.

It's funny that until I read your post, I thought I had my UAS under control (I'm not sure why I think this, since I just got a new bari yesterday and I'm watching a UBass, but anyway). Relatively speaking, I have put the reins on my ukulele acquisition, but now I realize that I have just substituted it with UAAS. Needed to get some more Mi-Si pick ups, had to have that new PW micro tuner (actually want more of those), couple more straps from Sherrin,
clamp to hold ipad on to mic stand.. oh and mic and mic stand....stop me before I buy again....while I think UAS can go into remission, UAAS cannot be controlled, it is an extremely aggressive disease.

Bunnyf, yep, UAAS is rampant. I also got three Levy Leathers cloth mandolin straps to which I added Martin strap button extenders, then added strap buttons to my three ukes. Then I replaced the preamp and battery box in my Eddy Finn, which prompted me to yank out the crap Fishman Sonicore preamp in my Lanikai for an Isys+ that I cut into the side.

I also realized that at times I will need the music stand, and conveniently, it will hold the iPad because of the cover I added that has a hand strap on the back, which slips over the collapsed upper panel of the stand. Then I got a foot pedal for the iPad.

Please, someone stop me!

Last edited:
Well, all I can say is you were right PhilUSAFRet, UAS is just too powerful for me. Earlier I was roaming the internet and came across an Oscar Schmidt tenor cutaway spalted maple open box on eBay for $169 from a store in Brooklyn. Just can't pass up a bargain that looks so good, and gets good reviews. I'm a sucker for tenor, cutaway, exotic look, and electronics, although I'm already planning to replace the preamp with one I have that has a tuner. All of my ukes are the same configuration. It's on it's way. Please uke gods (and my wallet), forgive me.

u4OscarSchmidt.jpg

Last edited:
Yep, I'm officially off my rocker... Just found a Lanikai SMP-TCA Solid Monkeypod blem for $124 with electronics that I'm going to change. Had to order it. (I didn't realize how nuts I really am.)

u5LanikaiMP.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom