Removing All Strings

BTWriter

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been answered before/numerous times, but it seems any search involving the word "strings" brings up every other thread to ever exist.

I think I'm going to paint my old concert uke (after I install the transducer I picked up today) and while most tutorials I've seen online show just loosening the strings a ton, I was wondering if it would be harmful to completely remove them for a span of, say, 2-3 days.

And would I have trouble restringing the same ones, as they have already been trimmed in the original installation?

Thanks guys.

As long as you don't cut 'em all off when they're at full tension, you should be fine. And it's okay to re-use the strings, but keeping them on can be difficult if you cut them too much.

Nah, it won't be harmful. As far as re-using the strings, it depends. How long have they been on, what kinda bride you have and if you're really dying to try something different, this would be the opportune time to do so. Personally, I'll just replace 'em. What kinda pickup are you installing, UST?

Thanks to both of you. I wanted to make sure there wasn't some weird tension thing I didn't know about.

The pickup I did was the one from the "electrify your uke" thread. Sounded like a cool project, and my laminate Makala wasn't seeing any action, so I figured I'd give it a little umph to convince me to take it out.

I'm pretty satisfied with the results, though there seems to be some feedback issues if I face the amp directly. Not that big of a deal though. It's just for screwing around.

I went ahead and just loosened the strings today so I could see what it sounded like sooner, but as soon as I finish the painting I'm on I'll say goodbye to my Aquilas, beautify my uke, and try some other strings for a change.

I'm pretty satisfied with the results, though there seems to be some feedback issues if I face the amp directly.

For acoustic/electric guitars they make this flat rubber disc that fits (by friction) into the sound hole and cuts the feedback bigtime.

They don't make something like that for ukulele but they do make a wide variety of rubber sink stoppers. Most of the ones I'm thinking of are sort of "stepped" on the part that actually pushes into the drain so that it'll fit a smallish range of drain sizes. I'm thinking if you chose your size carefully and took and X-acto knife to it to get rid of the excess you might have a winner.

Oh. And remove the little metal ring that you attach the bead chain to.

Top Bottom