First Ko'olau Tenor Guitar (Big Baritone)

What timing, I was just looking at the Martin 018-T, that Martin made for Elderly Instruments 40th Anniversary. Noa outdid himself there. Beautiful

Andrew...I know somebody who might one of these....
Hey Mark are you looking at this....wow

Andrew...I know somebody who might one of these....
Hey Mark are you looking at this....wow

Hey Len,

I'd heard about this. It's a beautiful instrument. I believe it's nylon strings. I'm hoping to find one (or perhaps have Ko'olau build me one) with steel strings.

Last edited:
That is one heck of a guitar--amazing koa!

Hey Len,

I'd heard about this. It's a beautiful instrument. I believe it's nylon strings. I'm hoping to find one (or perhaps have Ko'olau build me one) with steel strings.

yes I am pretty sure Noa can build one with steel strings...as he is a great guitar builder too...
I can ask Andrew for you...once he gets back from the Big Island next week

yes I am pretty sure Noa can build one with steel strings...as he is a great guitar builder too...
I can ask Andrew for you...once he gets back from the Big Island next week

Thanks, Len, but there's no rush. I'm waiting on two Compass Rose ukes and an Anakoneke, so funding is going to be a problem for a while. I bet this tenor guitar goes fast.

Thanks, Len, but there's no rush. I'm waiting on two Compass Rose ukes and an Anakoneke, so funding is going to be a problem for a while. I bet this tenor guitar goes fast.

I got you Mark...

when you come visit we can get Stan and make a stop at Ko'olau and visiti with Noa if you like....
oh yeah the Tenor Guitar could be sold by now!

It is steel strings! Actually it had extra lights because they originally had it tuned CGDA. Which sounded really cool too but I wanted to demo it in regular tuning. We'll put regular strings on for the next demo when I do a blog. I'll come back to it. They want to show it at NAMM but we'll sell it after that. They are making another with spruce top for NAMM too. Oh, and actually Pono is making a similiar one but with fan bracing for nylon. Gonna call it a big baritone. That should be at NAMM too. This one is x braced for steel though.

Man. That Koa is dazzling. Gonna try extra hard to get to NAMM this year. What can you tell us about the neck profile, Andrew? 1 1/4" nut? Has it been strung up in 5ths?

Last edited:
Another great intrument Andrew - and beautiful rendition of Across the Universe by Corey. I can't wait to hear the spruce top version of this! I'm glad some of the high end uke makers are getting into tenor guitars. There are few companies making these and I think there's a great market for tenor guitars with a wider fretboard than the vintage ones have (since they were marketing to banjo players). Very cool - thanks!

Oh, and actually Pono is making a similiar one but with fan bracing for nylon. Gonna call it a big baritone. That should be at NAMM too.

Wow, that sounds like the ideal octave-ukulele platform! Any idea what the scale length will be / is?

It is steel strings! Actually it had extra lights because they originally had it tuned CGDA. Which sounded really cool too but I wanted to demo it in regular tuning. We'll put regular strings on for the next demo when I do a blog. I'll come back to it. They want to show it at NAMM but we'll sell it after that. They are making another with spruce top for NAMM too. Oh, and actually Pono is making a similiar one but with fan bracing for nylon. Gonna call it a big baritone. That should be at NAMM too. This one is x braced for steel though.

When will the Pono be available? Will Pono have a steel string version?

:drool:speechless:drool:

Wow, that sounds like the ideal octave-ukulele platform! Any idea what the scale length will be / is?

23"

When will the Pono be available? Will Pono have a steel string version?

Coming by January is the nylon version only for Pono. I'm sure they will do a steel because Pono steel string guitars are incredibly good. Corey used his Pono guitar for all the guitar parts on his new album. Said it blew away his guild. In fact the producer of the album, Kelli Cruz was so impressed she bought the same model for her husband, David. John, Ernie, and Guys brother, also a great musician. Mike Love is using his Pono guitar full time now too until Noa finishes his custom Milo guitar. So I'm sure they'll come with a steel next and we'll actually be able to afford one.

Thanks for the comments. (I will measure the nut soon for you didgeridoo2)

23"

Coming by January is the nylon version only for Pono. I'm sure they will do a steel because Pono steel string guitars are incredibly good. Corey used his Pono guitar for all the guitar parts on his new album. Said it blew away his guild. In fact the producer of the album, Kelli Cruz was so impressed she bought the same model for her husband, David. John, Ernie, and Guys brother, also a great musician. Mike Love is using his Pono guitar full time now too until Noa finishes his custom Milo guitar. So I'm sure they'll come with a steel next and we'll actually be able to afford one.

Wow... Andrew

I hope I can sneak a peek at Mike Love's Milo Ko'olau Guitar that Noa is building...I never saw Milo used on a guitar yet...sounds crazy nice....I bet the tone going to be spectacular....

let me know when you record Mike with it...wow

btw the Cruz brothers all great...

Last edited:
23"

Any word on if the steel string tenor guitar will be produced soon? I'm really interested :)

Top Bottom