PDA

View Full Version : Top bracing 101 for newbie

bigphil
10-03-2013, 08:41 AM
Still making good progress on my first project but am wondering about fan bracing and clearancing for the bridge patch. Specifically do you clearance the fan braces or the bridge patch and what are the merits of each method. I've seen it done both ways. From my perspective it would be easier to clearance the fan braces, but easy isn't always best. So, how do you do it and why? Thanks again in advance for sharing your knowledge and insight!

BlackBearUkes
10-03-2013, 09:54 AM
Think about it. If you are going to use a bridge patch, why would you cut it up in segments between the bracing struts? The strength along it's length would be gone, defeating some of its purpose.

Still making good progress on my first project but am wondering about fan bracing and clearancing for the bridge patch. Specifically do you clearance the fan braces or the bridge patch and what are the merits of each method. I've seen it done both ways. From my perspective it would be easier to clearance the fan braces, but easy isn't always best. So, how do you do it and why? Thanks again in advance for sharing your knowledge and insight!

bigphil
10-03-2013, 03:32 PM
That makes perfect sense to me. I was just wondering if there was some merit to applying the fan bracing directly to the top. As I said, I saw what I believe is a fairly respected builder route through the bridge plate on youtube to glue the bracing against the top. I just wondered if this was common or there is some benefit to doing it that way. Thanks for the response.

bluesuke
10-03-2013, 05:05 PM
:spam:
This is interesting. Specifically do you clearance the fan braces or the bridge patch and what are the merits of each method for more [Spam link in quoted (deleted) post removed by mod] see this. Very good site. And it is very useful site for education. Everyone must watch this. Read more information please visit royalty free music this.

Maybe you should find a deferent site:spam:

Allen
10-03-2013, 10:07 PM
That makes perfect sense to me. I was just wondering if there was some merit to applying the fan bracing directly to the top. As I said, I saw what I believe is a fairly respected builder route through the bridge plate on youtube to glue the bracing against the top. I just wondered if this was common or there is some benefit to doing it that way. Thanks for the response.

Never seen any luthier that I respect do any such thing.

LesterPolfus
10-04-2013, 12:56 AM
Never seen any luthier that I respect do any such thing.

The same our teachers told us during the first lesson in Milan lutherie school. We do an Hauser guitar, however, but the principle is the same.