Martin baritone string selection question

strumsilly

Reaction score
Just picked up a Martin bari and it came with what I believe are an Aquila reentrant g set.. I like Southcoast flatwounds but his HS-SW only tunes to A,and while I like their sound , the bases are kinda thin[ diameter, not sound]. I'd like a "traditional" bari tuning without the squeak, any suggestions? Have tried the worth no wound set but didn't like the thickness of the D.

Last edited:
Guadalupes? I haven't tried them yet, but they're on my list.

I know it's not what you asked for, and I know you already play Southcoasts, but I'm going to shout it out anyway:

Southcoast re-entrant Bari strings (dGBE) are unreal. I think they're an even better balance than SC regular uke sets, and that's saying a lot.

I have the Guadalupe low octive GCEA on my Pono bari. the uke is now tuned reentrant, I want linear. I've already asked Dirk at SC if he would sell me a single string, but he doesn't sell individual strings. a smooth wound D would work for me. I'd leave the rest of the strings on there. where can I get one?

Last edited:
Been experimenting with bari strings for a while now. Have gone thru D'iaddairos. Martin, Southcoast, Living Waters etc.

On my martin, I've got Worth brown 1,2,3 with Hilo wound 4th. It's the best so far for linear tuniing. Gonna try the J68's next.

On my Favilla, it seems to like the nylon string over a flurocarbon. It gives it a deep smokey, bluesy sound while on the Martin they sounded kind of faunky. Both are mahogany but like completely different types of strings. Fluros for the Martin and nylon for the Favilla.

I tried reentrant on my bari but to me, it sounded like a bigger bodied tenor.

I know Ken / Living Water makes either linear or re-entrant DGBE strings.
Agreed that the low-D on the Worth's is terrible (all other strings are good though). Mix-and-match time.

Top Bottom